Status
Not open for further replies.

JD-Roo

Premiership Player
May 31, 2007
Kilmore-East
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Idgaf but please fking teach your children how to work a fking hell on ur fking bike I’m sick of guessing which way ur child is gonna ride and nearly getting hit while I’m running

Could probably start a "My Dad always said......." thread, but I'll just put it here......

My Dad always said "beware of ANY kid on a bike between Christmas and New Year, because they're most likely brand new and have NO idea how to ride them!"

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
OK all you old plodders...

My Mum's partner just died today so this finally gives me an opportunity to help sort a few things out for her like getting rid of Foxtel platinum and dropping her Internet to a lower tier. He was a bit overbearing and had to have the highest possible Foxtel package - my Mum would watch repeats of gardening shows while he would watch ping-pong from Kirgizstan if it was on premium sports.

She will watch the odd movie, and she may decide to keep a basic package for those repeats of the English house makeover shows (even though Foxtel is against my religion for certain reasons that I won't go into here).

He had to have NBN100 and insisted on Dodo because he used to have Dodo at his other place. His laptop speed test would max out at around 40MB/s so I had tried to tell him to drop to a lower plan.... now is the chance to do so.

TBH, Mum won't ever be on the web but she can use an iPAD to call my brother in Canadia and other relatives interstate (or > 5Ks away) so keeping Internet is fine. She also needs a phone and is not likely to use a mobile unless I can convince her.

I wouldn't go with Dodo myself, but it has the bundled phone and it's in place so changing it when I'm 100+ Ks away is likely to be a pain. I could get her electricity and gas bundled to this plan as the cost estimator for Dodo comes in at less than she's presently paying and that drops the Internet price by $10 as well.

She won't need his beer and coke fridge and ice machine which he used to make a massive fuss over - needed the ice for his whisky and coke so by ridding herself of these the power bill can be reduced.

Anyway, I'm kind of seeking a bit of advice and experience here - some of you must have elderly parents and have dealt with some of the things I've mentioned above so I welcome any thoughts.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne

My Mum's partner just died today so this finally gives me an opportunity to help sort a few things out for her like getting rid of Foxtel platinum and dropping her Internet to a lower tier. He was a bit overbearing and had to have the highest possible Foxtel package - my Mum would watch repeats of gardening shows while he would watch ping-pong from Kirgizstan if it was on premium sports.

She will watch the odd movie, and she may decide to keep a basic package for those repeats of the English house makeover shows (even though Foxtel is against my religion for certain reasons that I won't go into here).

He had to have NBN100 and insisted on Dodo because he used to have Dodo at his other place. His laptop speed test would max out at around 40MB/s so I had tried to tell him to drop to a lower plan.... now is the chance to do so.

TBH, Mum won't ever be on the web but she can use an iPAD to call my brother in Canadia and other relatives interstate (or > 5Ks away) so keeping Internet is fine. She also needs a phone and is not likely to use a mobile unless I can convince her.

I wouldn't go with Dodo myself, but it has the bundled phone and it's in place so changing it when I'm 100+ Ks away is likely to be a pain. I could get her electricity and gas bundled to this plan as the cost estimator for Dodo comes in at less than she's presently paying and that drops the Internet price by $10 as well.

She won't need his beer and coke fridge and ice machine which he used to make a massive fuss over - needed the ice for his whisky and coke so by ridding herself of these the power bill can be reduced.

Anyway, I'm kind of seeking a bit of advice and experience here - some of you must have elderly parents and have dealt with some of the things I've mentioned above so I welcome any thoughts.

Elderly parents and computers etc is a nightmare. Had a few good chats with the old man that the nice people who phone you up and ask for your password arent really nice people at all. Luckily my mum is still sharp as a tack.
Anyway, I have a mate who manages an IT company and my folks have a holiday home at Taupo. So we've come to an arrangement that my mate gets a free weekend or 2 at Taupo, and my folks can ring my mate up anytime.
Works great as I probably know less than your mum about IT !

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

First thing is that regardless of Grumpy Old passing on she most likely loved him and gave her a sense of reliability and companionship that she will grieve for over coming weeks and months. I can still remember my stoic Grandmas in the 1970’s joking one minute and then bursting into tears after their partners passed, and that was an era that scorned crying in public. Look out for her, and perhaps as time goes by suggest some elderly community things she can join to connect with others.

As for Internet and everything else cancel Dodo and find the cheapest Telstra plan. It depends on what she wants to spend but their bundles in their website are good and at least it’s a company that you know is reliable.

The fridge and any other excess stuff sell on Gumtree or Facebook for her but sell it through YOUR PLACE and NOT hers so you don’t have people pestering or coming to her house…that’s a big no no.

And give her a hug

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
And as for Poxtel, get rid of it, or drop back to the package that includes her Channels. Telstra and Poxtel used to have shared packages so have a look at the website. Telstra also have a free Binge 3 month trial deal which has a lot of older Poxtel re runs and content that might interest her SonofSamsquanch

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
First thing is that regardless of Grumpy Old passing on she most likely loved him and gave her a sense of reliability and companionship that she will grieve for over coming weeks and months. I can still remember my stoic Grandmas in the 1970’s joking one minute and then bursting into tears after their partners passed, and that was an era that scorned crying in public. Look out for her, and perhaps as time goes by suggest some elderly community things she can join to connect with others.

As for Internet and everything else cancel Dodo and find the cheapest Telstra plan. It depends on what she wants to spend but there bundles in there website are good and at least it’s a company that you know is reliable.

The fridge and any other excess stuff sell on Gumtree or Facebook for her but sell it through YOUR PLACE and NOT hers so you don’t have people pestering or coming to her house…that’s a big no no.

And give her a hug

Hey SOS, sorry to hear your news
Have you got Power of Attorney for your mum ?
Can make things a lot easier tidying up things if you can act on your mums behalf

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Could probably start a "My Dad always said......." thread, but I'll just put it here......

My Dad always said "beware of ANY kid on a bike between Christmas and New Year, because they're most likely brand new and have NO idea how to ride them!"

In one of my former workplaces we used to do transplants. Sadly most were done over x-mas / n.y. and school holidays for obvious reasons ☹

Do a basic $ breakdown for her and present it in a way that shows how much she could save and by also keeping it to things she wants/likes versus things rarely used.

The rest has all been said by others above.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
still waiting for shower screen bloke to come, said last week, didnt show then said yesterday and didnt show, time to call him and give him a bollocking.

meanwhile still needing to walk 100meters to the barn for a shower.

" we used to live in brown paper bag, in middle of road "

OR PEOPLE WHO WRITE “PEEPS” like stfu I thought I was cool saying it 8 years ago now it just makes me want to gauge my eyes and punt them.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

No offence but it reads like she just won the lottery. Except for losing the beer fridge bit. Seriously though prolly an entry speed unlimited plan may suit her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back