Roast Grumpy Old Thread- 10k posts of whinging

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, really, $25,000 - i.e. more expensive than my car! I think they're planning to charge the insurance company so figure they can charge what they want.

So a Compressor for ducted cooling is 25K?????????????? I know nothing about ducted cooling but that is impossible unless they replace everything including the ducts, surely?

I bought an evaporative cooler 3 hours ago, the sort you stick the outlet through your window. Within 30 minutes my master bedroom has dropped from 28 to 18 degrees and the hallway is cooling slowly as an effect. Cost $750 and has a 3 year warranty. I'm in love. Might even buy another and not use the built in unit again.

No, really, $25,000 - i.e. more expensive than my car! I think they're planning to charge the insurance company so figure they can charge what they want.

Where do you live?

Government House Melbourne?

Ffs.

Is this a typical 4 bedroom house?

That is total bullshit.

Second quote.

So I've just been told a need a compressor replaced, which will cost $15k and I'm better off just replacing the system for $25k. Fortunately, I'll have lots of time to wonder whether I'm being shafted while I'm not sleeping tonight.

I think you have been quoted the diamond-embossed-rip-off-the-poor-bloke-dying-in-the-heat model.

It's that hot at 'toes place, that he was even advertising on Craigslist, seeking people to blow on him.

Lightweight.

Don't mean to brag or anything, but I've had a bunch of fans blowing on me all day.

As for the heat, our air-con has kept the house nice and cool.

Seriously...like Hamilton...surely not the Coast??
Where are you? Was unbearable playing cricket today. We had to umpire ourselves for an hour cos out umpire. almost passed out.
It was in Warrnambool. 47 in the golf course car park, then 41 near the river. About 3pm. Outside one of the shopping plazas , it was over 38 degrees at midday . Not "the windy Warrnambool " yesterday

Hottest place you've ever been ?

Tarawa, Kiribati for me. 1986.

Was warm about 32dg C. But bugger me the humidity was about 200%. Not a big sweater normally but literally had rivers running off me when stepped outside.

Can you buy a portable air cooler and Ebay it once yours is fixed?

I'm about to buy one to keep the bedrooms cool. My main unit doesn't help the back of the house. Pricy though. $1000 for a 5KW top line portable with Inverter.

Toes will be too cooked to do any routine today!

All options are being considered. To replace the guts of the thing with a modern unit, while leaving the ducts and piping in place will cost $8k.

TBH the lack of aircon was the last thing on my mind yesterday when our trusty dog Archer went into a seizure in the backyard in front of the kids. I could tell he was struggling with the heat and had been doing whatever I could to cool him down. Carried him out to the car and headed straight for the Animal Emergency Hospital where he had a blood count of 17 (normal for dogs is between 37 and 55), indicating massive internal bleeding, which is most often caused by a burst tumor. My daughter came up with me to help carry the keys, wallet and phone while I carried the dog. One long convo with the vet surgeon later it became apparent that we had little option but to put him to sleep, after I headed home to collect Mrs Toes and our son to say goodbye first.

Talk about a traumatic day.

In keeping with this thread, f*** the f***ing world!

All options are being considered. To replace the guts of the thing with a modern unit, while leaving the ducts and piping in place will cost $8k.

TBH the lack of aircon was the last thing on my mind yesterday when our trusty dog Archer went into a seizure in the backyard in front of the kids. I could tell he was struggling with the heat and had been doing whatever I could to cool him down. Carried him out to the car and headed straight for the Animal Emergency Hospital where he had a blood count of 17 (normal for dogs is between 37 and 55), indicating massive internal bleeding, whihc is most often caused by a burst tumor. My daughter came up with me to help carry the keys, wallet and phone while I carried the dog. One long convo with the vet surgeon later it became apparent that we had little option but to put him to sleep, after I headed home to collect Mrs Toes and our son to say goodbye first.

s**t mate, sorry to hear that.

Hope you and the family are holding up ok.

TBH the lack of aircon was the last thing on my mind yesterday when our trusty dog Archer went into a seizure in the backyard in front of the kids. I could tell he was struggling with the heat and had been doing whatever I could to cool him down. Carried him out to the car and headed straight for the Animal Emergency Hospital where he had a blood count of 17 (normal for dogs is between 37 and 55), indicating massive internal bleeding, whihc is most often caused by a burst tumor. My daughter came up with me to help carry the keys, wallet and phone while I carried the dog. One long convo with the vet surgeon later it became apparent that we had little option but to put him to sleep, after I headed home to collect Mrs Toes and our son to say goodbye first.

Sorry mate. 2017 truly can GAGF. Hope your next 51 weeks improve immeasurably.

The convo with the surgeon was going well until she said he'd need multiple blood transfusions for starters, at $1,500 a pop, then investigative surgery which he may not survive at $4,000, followed by corrective surgery at a minimum of $6,000 if they're able to do something. As that was being said my daughter looked at me with eyes like dinner plates and asked "so what does that mean dad? When can we take him home?" followed by a very uncomfortable silence as my mind processed WTF to tell her. The whole thing was horrendous, especially having to say goodbye and watching the kids with him. F*** it!

The convo with the surgeon was going well until she said he'd need multiple blood transfusions for starters, at $1,500 a pop, then investigative surgery which he may not survive at $4,000, followed by corrective surgery at a minimum of $6,000 if they're able to do something. As that was being said my daughter looked at me with eyes like dinner plates and asked "so what does that mean dad? When can we take him home?" followed by a very uncomfortable silence as my mind processed WTF to tell her. The whole thing was horrendous, especially having to say goodbye and watching the kids with him. F*** it!

So sad.

I remember my first Woof was 13 years old in 2011 and same deal with the $$$ and it being a tumour.

The tumour burst and I took her to the Vet. I was too upset to be there to the end so I said goodbyes in the waiting room.

As I left the out the door she took one last happy lunge as if to say 'where are we going now.'

Heart breaking damn dogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you have been quoted the diamond-embossed-rip-off-the-poor-bloke-dying-in-the-heat model.

I think you're right. What a bastard (but I'd probably do the same thing if I was in his business). Thankfully the cool change has just come through, so hopefully I wont have to sleep outside tonight (unless Mrs Egga is unhappy with my work around the house).

TBH the lack of aircon was the last thing on my mind yesterday when our trusty dog Archer went into a seizure in the backyard in front of the kids. I could tell he was struggling with the heat and had been doing whatever I could to cool him down. Carried him out to the car and headed straight for the Animal Emergency Hospital where he had a blood count of 17 (normal for dogs is between 37 and 55), indicating massive internal bleeding, which is most often caused by a burst tumor. My daughter came up with me to help carry the keys, wallet and phone while I carried the dog. One long convo with the vet surgeon later it became apparent that we had little option but to put him to sleep, after I headed home to collect Mrs Toes and our son to say goodbye first.

Terrible news about Archer, my thoughts go out to you and yours.

Ah mate, having been in your shoes before I understand it. Deciding to have a dog put down who years earlier saved my life is completely and utterly ****ed.
I wish you will helping the family through it.

P.S. * the heat!

It was in Warrnambool. 47 in the golf course car park, then 41 near the river. About 3pm. Outside one of the shopping plazas , it was over 38 degrees at midday . Not "the windy Warrnambool " yesterday

I was there too. Didn't realise it got that hot. No wonder I melted down in the second game of cricket yesterday.

Found out today blokes were dropping like flies on the cricket field yesterday. One Sri Lankan import was complaing in the local paper last month how cold it was her here ended up spending last night in hospital cos of the heat.

Very sorry to hear about Archer TT. I remember you had a really bad go with him a few years ago and If I recall correctly he wasn't given a very long time by the vet back then? Sounds like he's had a good life with a loving family, but it sure sucks the big one when they have to leave us. RIP Archer.

Very sorry to hear about Archer TT. I remember you had a really bad go with him a few years ago and If I recall correctly he wasn't given a very long time by the vet back then? Sounds like he's had a good life with a loving family, but it sure sucks the big one when they have to leave us. RIP Archer.

Correct Baz. Your memory is incredible. He was completely written off at the age of 6 when he had a sudden very aggressive tumour forming on his jaw. The family vet actually said the only thing we could do was put him to sleep at the time. I refused to accept that and happened to find the world's leading K9 Oncologist is from the US but married a woman from Melbourne, where they'd moved to and set up shop in. The guy was a genius and he operated on Arch, removing half of his lower jaw in the process, and discovered the tumour was benign (albeit deadly still as it was so aggressive). So he went on to live a full life, and a further 7 years with us, throughout which both kids came into our lives. He was as gentle as can be with both from the start, and was dearly loved by both throughout.

Appreciate the thoughts. He's a huge loss to us, just as Bella was a few years ago, and the house and yard feel so empty without his presence. All who've been through it, as I have before, know the feeling. It's heartbreaking losing a big part of the family, and the inevitable downside to pet ownership.

^ That's so sad, mate. My sincere best wishes go out to you.

Been through it 5 times now and if my reaction to having to put down the last one is anything to go by, it just doesn't get the slightest bit easier.

Also had a similar experience to the one you had with Archer with my previous Lab - things looked grim when she was about 8-ish years old due to a hyper-aggressive cancer. They operated twice, both times cutting huge slabs out of her (which had an upside, cos' she was pretty fat - ha), and she went on to live to be 20. Had to put her down a few weeks shy of her 21st birthday. I was absolutely heartbroken. Twenty years of being constantly by my side...to nothing. It cuts pretty deep.

Again, wishing you all the best at a tough time. Chin up, bud.

Moar people think a dog is a dog but they are as individual as we are with their habits and quirks.

When Woof came to live with us as a puppy I thought we had got a Helen Keller dog such was the lack of response.

But it all came down to being the runt of the litter.

Be assured that another dog will come along when you feel it's time and fill your backyard with laughs and joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back