Not open for further replies.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Your post prompted me to research live volcanoes in NZ

I was in Auckland last October and did the drive up the Coramandel peninsular to hot water beach and then down to Rotorua and the glow worm cafe

The terrain is really tough not one stretch of flat land

Driving in NZ easily most difficult I’ve experienced

yeah a lot of accidents with Tourists here. Basically they're not used to driving on hills or the left side of the road

There's a few roads i drive when i go fishing that are really squeaky bum time. You wouldn't want to hiccup !

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Your post prompted me to research live volcanoes in NZ

I was in Auckland last October and did the drive up the Coramandel peninsular to hot water beach and then down to Rotorua and the glow worm cafe

The terrain is really tough not one stretch of flat land

Driving in NZ easily most difficult I’ve experienced

South Island driving...wtf is that !

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
did you drive the Skippers Canyon road Gaso ?
I did that in a bus to go white water rafting on the Shotover river. Not much fun looking out the window and you cant see the road, just a sheer drop beside you !
Remember Skippers Canyon Road as one of those white knuckle drives.

Had my best hitchhiking experiences on the South Island when I was a young fella, although some long gaps between cars, not only between rides. Fond memories of the mattress truck that picked us up and we slept on the mattresses in the back coming from Oamaru. Then the guys on a pub crawl near Wanaka who picked me up and I became their designated driver (even though I didn't have an international licence) all night as they drank their way around town, ended up sleeping at their place. And getting picked up by a home made car at the end of the Routeburn Track. Not to mention going down the never-ending winding hill out of Lyttleton on a tandem bike with a snapped brake cable. Good times.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Remember Skippers Canyon Road as one of those white knuckle drives.

Had my best hitchhiking experiences on the South Island when I was a young fella, although some long gaps between cars, not only between rides. Fond memories of the mattress truck that picked us up and we slept on the mattresses in the back coming from Oamaru. Then the guys on a pub crawl near Wanaka who picked me up and I became their designated driver (even though I didn't have an international licence) all night as they drank their way around town, ended up sleeping at their place. And getting picked up by a home made car at the end of the Routeburn Track. Not to mention going down the never-ending winding hill out of Lyttleton on a tandem bike with a snapped brake cable. Good times.
haha

sh&t that wasn't about 1990 was it ?!
Me and a group of mates picked up a hitchhiker coming back from the West Coast of the South island, who kindly drove as we played car cricket. Cant remember too much else as i carried my bat that day !

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
haha

sh&t that wasn't about 1990 was it ?!
Me and a group of mates picked up a hitchhiker coming back from the West Coast of the South island, who kindly drove as we played car cricket. Cant remember too much else as i carried my bat that day !
Not far off it, 1986 from memory. And not sure if cricket came into play. They were all so well lubricated by the time they stopped for me I didn't know what they were going on about. But a lift before dark, a few drinks, a free feed, and a bed for the night made them stars in my book.

I do remember that the West Coast and the East Coast were chalk and cheese. Where is your stomping ground KR?

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not far off it, 1986 from memory. And not sure if cricket came into play. They were all so well lubricated by the time they stopped for me I didn't know what they were going on about. But a lift before dark, a few drinks, a free feed, and a bed for the night made them stars in my book.

I do remember that the West Coast and the East Coast were chalk and cheese. Where is your stomping ground KR?

Im East Coast North island..so dry and hot summers and cold frosty winters. Also spent a lot of time being blown around in Wellington

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
11pm and the police chopper hovering above.
think yourself lucky, i still recall when the blackhawks flew over a few years back conducting some anti terror operations at about 4am in the morning, they had special permission to fly very low for the operation and it literally sounded like they were about to crash. reckon i jumped 3 feet of the bed when they flew over.

new micro brewery opened up in town this weekend and iam on damn night shifts. :-(
Are you not a aware of the fine concept that is day drinking?

On this topic, I've got a colleague whose brother owns a reasonably well known craft brewery. They had a kid a few months ago and my wife loaned them her breast pump. They returned it yesterday, along with a nice bottle of Pinot and a couple of dozen selected beers from the brewery, some of which are yet to be released to the public. I'm looking forward to putting them through some extensive taste testing over the next couple of weeks.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Are you not a aware of the fine concept that is day drinking?

On this topic, I've got a colleague whose brother owns a reasonably well known craft brewery. They had a kid a few months ago and my wife loaned them her breast pump. They returned it yesterday, along with a nice bottle of Pinot and a couple of dozen selected beers from the brewery, some of which are yet to be released to the public. I'm looking forward to putting them through some extensive taste testing over the next couple of weeks.

iam well aware of the concept, problem is the brewery are not opening up again till boxing day. not to mention my workplace has a zero drinking policy policed by random bretholiser and drug testing. anyway thats all history for now and at least until jan 3rd :)

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
iam well aware of the concept, problem is the brewery are not opening up again till boxing day. not to mention my workplace has a zero drinking policy policed by random bretholiser and drug testing. anyway thats all history for now and at least until jan 3rd :)

You either work at...

a bakery
a piggery
a chook farm
a something that puts down livestock
a zucchini farm
None of the above

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
A few things atm

Cadbury Roses...once advertising had them as a Thankyou gesture...well after eating a few of these Thankyous you can say thankyou very much that’s a “no” for me

Fireworks. Over them. Anachronistic. Time to roll our laser shows or give them up.

Christmas Wrapping paper. Wasteful waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back