Grundy, Collingwood’s best ruckman since Len Thompson

Remove this Banner Ad

Funnily enough I DID see Thommo from his first game and I will compare Grundy to him actually. People talk about Mason Cox being easily pushed off the ball by smaller opponents and for quite a few years big Len (and Josh Fraser) were manhandled by smaller opponents. Thommo had a great deal of trouble with Big Nick from Carlton and Ditterich, Dempsey and Farmer. Even old Sammy Newman could hip Thommo out of position. That's why he played second fiddle to Jerka Jenkin who was our first ruck for probably Thommo's first 5 seasons?
Grundy had one year with Jolly's assistance, a couple of years competing with Jarrod Witts and then he's been the top dog since his third season.

Thommo was a great player and he did get smarter and stronger as he got older. He won a Brownlow that had Johnny Greening's name already printed on it and lots of B&F's (Grundy has now won two of those himself) but you know what....if I had to choose between the two of them to play for my life...I'd be going with Grundy quick as a flash because he's a warrior. He's amazing in as much as very few players improve EVERY YEAR that they play. Most go in spits and spurts, two steps forward one step back. But Grundy seems to set himself a challenge every year and then make it happen.

Funny I usually get laughed at for saying that old players like Daics or Johnny Greening or Bobby Rose were so much better than today's players but in this case it's the new model that has all the features!
Great post. Very insightful. As I previously mentioned, I never saw Thompson, but five Copelands and ruckman for Collingwood’s team of the century tells you all you need to know.
Grundy is exceptionally durable, along with incredible mobility. A perfect combo.

We've had a few good ones since big Thommo. Peter Moore? Monkey? Jimmy Manson! Fraser and Jolly as well.

Monkhorst was very good for a long period of time, probably more consistent than big Len (and far more presence)

But Grundy has them all covered! lol

If you're looking purely at their ruckcraft then I'd agree but Moore still pips him overall IMHO based on his flexibility. Had a couple of seasons where he managed 50+ goals which I doubt Grundy could ever do.

Mercenary: Primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics.
Sorry if you don’t like the definition.

Might apply if the primary reason for leaving was money but it was actually a moral stance.

Sad but true,

Thompson
GF 66, 70, 77x2
PF 65, 69, 73, 78

Moore
GF 77, 79, 80, 81
PF 78

Grundy
GF 18
PF 19

But not a flag between them.
It Stinks !

I'm getting old and forgetful but I do seem to recall Moore playing both 1977 GF's.

Thompson is in the team of the century, not Moore. I wonder whether his omission is due to his defection, much like the legendary Rod Todd who kicked 327 goals in 76 games.

Thompson defected as well....

As a full forward

Yeah, was forward but I think more as a FP/2nd ruck with Kinky playing out of the square (from memory).

Last edited:
Moore did play as a conventional FF for one year.....I think 1977 (the year he won MoY)
Yes, and the year after too from memory, though I was pretty young so a bit hazy here.

I still think that Grundy will be our best ruckman ever. Too young to have seen much of Thommo. Moore gets the nod in terms of flexibility but I will say I found him spectacular to watch and being built like a Greek god with blond hair did make him stand out. I do recall girls going apeshit about him.

Grundy has the more lower centre of gravity build and I reckon that this probably helps in terms of injury prevention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must admit to only seeing the second half of Thommo's career, so didn't see his younger stuff.
I remember Moore was a battler in the ruck at first and was nowhere near the standard of big Len, resulting in him spending so much time down forward.
I hope Robroy is correct, and Grundy can become the best ever, and lead the pies to glory.

Kink used to play CHF in that side. Moore was at FF

That's not my recollection of the 77 GF's. I seem to recall Twiggy playing CHF following Carmen's suspension. But I could be wrong.

Must admit to only seeing the second half of Thommo's career, so didn't see his younger stuff.
I remember Moore was a battler in the ruck at first and was nowhere near the standard of big Len, resulting in him spending so much time down forward.
I hope Robroy is correct, and Grundy can become the best ever, and lead the pies to glory.
I guess as a teen because he won his first Brownlow as a 22 year old in the ruck after big Len had defected at the end of 78.

So Grundy has time in his side to keep developing.

A bit premature. An incredible talent, but had a poor GF in 2018.

He was not Poor but did not have the Influence on a Game like he has.

Eagles did a Great Job Tagging him in the GF

I recall a young Peter Moore that destroyed Carlton at a VFL game playing full forward 1977 at VFL Park.
Moore kicked 7 goals and Len Kicked 3
We won that game Collingwood 22.20.152 v Carlton 7.8.50
Alas Peter Mckenna played in that game and kicked 3 goals.(for Carlton)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back