Analysis Grundy, Cox and Cameron Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to intrude guys but this is going to be a fascinating watch as an outsider. Do any of you think that Grundy could play as a huge midfielder?

Talking to a Pies supporting mate of mine he put up the idea of Grundy taking the centre square bounce with Cameron starting forward and De Goey/Elliott in the centre square. Cameron then moves up into the ruck, Grundy settles as a mid and JDG/Elliott slide forward to maintain the current set up.

The opposition then have the issue of both Grundy and Cameron following the ball around and being able to tag team the ruck by swapping out at every stoppage.

Grundy's always had a huge tank for a ruck and his 2nd and 3rd efforts are great. I think it could work.
He is a big diesel but not speedy. With him playing as a non-ruck mid, the opposition would be able to exploit weaknesses like his inability to quickly spread. Kinda like what Rossy Lyon thought about Luke Ball (thanks Ross) but way way worse.

Agree - he needs more mongrel and aggression. I thought he’d overcome his laconic approach only for it to return yesterday.
It’s not good enough for a guy his size.

he needs to concentrate....he needs to hold his head up and engage in the game rather than feeling sorry for himself...... that's the minimum. Walking away from a marking contest near the behind post as if he wants to hide is just not good enough. He should have stood the mark. He should have looked draper in the eyes.....

draper showed the effect a big guy can have on a team and cameron and cox were sadly lacking....

Perhaps one of the reasons he no longer plays ncca basketball??

You only have to look at him running to understand he has all the grace of a new-born Giraffe whilst running.

Talk about unco!!

Graduating college was probably the main reason.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1658815725550.png
Desperately need Grundy for the centre clearances, he has the 9th highest average in the league. De Goey being out at 24th hasnt helped either.
Big difference between winning&drawing an 5-8 extra centre clearance win Grundy in vs to lose/draw 2-3 contested marks that Cox could take
The centre clearance improvement could make a 2 goal difference with how bad we are going lately, and the loss of a couple contested marks might make a one goal difference over a 2/3 week period. A much bigger net gain

I want to highlight the importance of centre clearances that result in a draw/another ball up. We suddenly turn into one of the better teams in the competition regardless who rucks from a stoppage with more than 4 players allowed, and less open to a goal scored against

Last edited:
Once Grundy & JDG return. We will basically be at full strength.
The only injured players that may have been a chance to push for best 22 would have been Krueger, McInness & perhaps Dean.
We will find out where we sit over the next 4 weeks.
0 wins would be bad. Come back next year.
1 win ok, but not good enough for September.
2 wins - good…interesting…sneaky chance.
3 wins - look out, we are dangerous.
4 wins - insane…roll on September.

View attachment 1457073
Desperately need Grundy for the centre clearances, he has the 9th highest average in the league. De Goey being out at 24th hasnt helped either.
Big difference between winning&drawing an 5-8 extra centre clearance win Grundy in vs to lose/draw 2-3 contested marks that Cox could take
The centre clearance improvement could make a 2 goal difference with how bad we are going lately, and the loss of a couple contested marks might make a one goal difference over a 2/3 week period. A much bigger net gain

I want to highlight the importance of centre clearances that result in a draw/another ball up. We suddenly turn into one of the better teams in the competition regardless who rucks from a stoppage with more than 4 players allowed, and less open to a goal scored against
Regardless of all that, we need Grundy if we are playing in September. However, grundy needs to start clunking some marks otherwise that all means jack s**t. Grundy needs to be able to do what Draper did yesterday

That's your imagination getting the better of you. I am a fan of Cox, but notwithstanding yesterday, he is probably third in line. Not sure what was mindless or snide? Care to articulate?

What made you decide at 1:20am this morning to respond to a post I made on June 16? How pissed were you?

Go have a re-read of my post and the ones preceding it to get a feel for what was being discussed.
I apologize if I took you out of context. I'm very sensitive about Mason and it was cleary a kneejerk response. No harm intended.

I'm not the biggest fan of Grundy and haven't been for couple years.

I acknowledge that we have been smashed in the centre clearances against Nth and Ess.

Is that our players fault or the ruck?

Grundy is a huge need in my opinion with Cameron getting first crack to be the back up.

Cameron doesn't deliver we bring in Cox.

I would play all three in the same team before I would drop Cox from the team (assuming dry weather in Spring).

Cox is a very underrated ruckman, has shown the ability to fill a hole in defence and provide a contest up forward.

We tried that against Brisbane and it didn't work. Cox and Cameron had 10 disposals between them, and Cameron spent just over 50% of the game on the ground....

We tried that against Brisbane and it didn't work. Cox and Cameron had 10 disposals between them, and Cameron spent just over 50% of the game on the ground....

Doesn’t mean we should bin the whole idea. We also had Kreuger in that team.

If we treat Cameron as a stay at home forward and then rotate cox and Grundy it just might work.

Once Grundy & JDG return. We will basically be at full strength.
The only injured players that may have been a chance to push for best 22 would have been Krueger, McInness & perhaps Dean.
We will find out where we sit over the next 4 weeks.
0 wins would be bad. Come back next year.
1 win ok, but not good enough for September.
2 wins - good…interesting…sneaky chance.
3 wins - look out, we are dangerous.
4 wins - insane…roll on September.

It’s a massive run home. Second/third awaits and so does seventh.

To make top four we will have to beat our direct rivals …..likely we’ll need to beat two of Melbourne Sydney and Carlton……plus continue our winning streak against Port who are a very good opponent. If we get there we thoroughly deserve it. On the other hand it doesn’t take much to imagine missing top four and going out in the first week of finals.

Week at a time!

It’s a massive run home. Second/third awaits and so does seventh.

To make top four we will have to beat our direct rivals …..likely we’ll need to beat two of Melbourne Sydney and Carlton……plus continue our winning streak against Port who are a very good opponent. If we get there we thoroughly deserve it. On the other hand it doesn’t take much to imagine missing top four and going out in the first week of finals.

Week at a time!
finals await - that is the most surprising ( as we were primed for bad year) and pleasing thing.. These guys are playing for each other and coach ( es) .. makes for a deadly combination.. A Champion team always beats a team of champions..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back