News Gubby accepts 12 month ban and resigns

Remove this Banner Ad

We can do better than a recent drug cheating accomplice. The club should take serious action against him - he's made all of these rash decisions with player movements and such, and we don't even get to see him back up them up with good recruits and list management. The entire 2016 off-season is a right off to me now, and this has set the club back years.
Probably a little dramatic with the set back comment, but I agree that we deserve better than him.

Probably a little dramatic with the set back comment, but I agree that we deserve better than him.
Let's go left field and appoint someone from big footy.

Who could get the gig from bigfooty ?

We can do better than a recent drug cheating accomplice. The club should take serious action against him - he's made all of these rash decisions with player movements and such, and we don't even get to see him back up them up with good recruits and list management. The entire 2016 off-season is a right off to me now, and this has set the club back years.

So Leading teams and Ben Hart as defensive coach... having a seior coaching assistant role, Trevor Hendy were all reaping us the on field success we have had for 3 years?

Marley leaving was obviously a attitude issue decision that was clearly made before Gubby was appointed. Frost and Brown hardly set the world on fire this year and didnt deserve the length of contracts they recieved. Witts couldn't get a game in the seniors... we definately needed some cleaner disposers of the ball...(enters Wells), some forward pressure players to keep the ball from rebounding out of forward 50 easier than any other side in the AFL (out goes Cloke [Thank Christ] and enters Mayne)... and picked up a former number 4 draft pick about to enter the prime of his career.

I think he made some pretty good decisions... or we could have just paid overs for brown, frost and Cloke and left the footy department in exactly the same state that its been in for the past 3 years of failure.

So Leading teams and Ben Hart as defensive coach... having a seior coaching assistant role, Trevor Hendy were all reaping us the on field success we have had for 3 years?

Marley leaving was obviously a attitude issue decision that was clearly made before Gubby was appointed. Frost and Brown hardly set the world on fire this year and didnt deserve the length of contracts they recieved. Witts couldn't get a game in the seniors... we definately needed some cleaner disposers of the ball...(enters Wells), some forward pressure players to keep the ball from rebounding out of forward 50 easier than any other side in the AFL (out goes Cloke [Thank Christ] and enters Mayne)... and picked up a former number 4 draft pick about to enter the prime of his career.

I think he made some pretty good decisions... or we could have just paid overs for brown, frost and Cloke and left the footy department in exactly the same state that its been in for the past 3 years of failure.
And the club has saved on the catering bill ;)

I think he made some pretty good decisions... or we could have just paid overs for brown, Frost and Cloke and left the footy department in exactly the same state that its been in for the past 3 years of failure.

I disagree with most of that. We got next to nothing for Cloke, Marley, Brown, Frost & Witts. Poor negotiating in my opinion. We needed points for father son selections & got dregs for Witts & absolutely nothing for any of the others. We paid a future 2nd rounder for WHE who has yet to do much regardless of his draft pick status as a former number 4. He isn't a first 18 player at GWS.
We gifted Freo a compensation pick by giving Mayne a 4 x 500,000 deal. A deal that put us another spot back in the draft. That's 4 x 500,000 for a role player. Happy with Wells but his age is a concern.
I don't know which negotiator in the AFL could have done a worse job than that. In fact if that is the benchmark then I want a job for next seasons trade period. I can't do worse than the packet of stale chips we got for the players leaving than that.
Contrast those deals to what we got with Hine for Harry O, Wellingham, Ben Kennedy, Seedsman & Dawes. Did pretty well for all of them. Made the most of trades for Beams & Heater as well.
Cloke, Brown, Frost, Marley & probably Witts will all play plenty of senior football for their respective teams next year. We basically gave them away with poor negotiating. Our worst trade period in a long time in my opinion. Not impressed with Gubby at all.

I disagree with most of that. We got next to nothing for Cloke, Marley, Brown, Frost & Witts. Poor negotiating in my opinion. We needed points for father son selections & got dregs for Witts & absolutely nothing for any of the others. We paid a future 2nd rounder for WHE who has yet to do much regardless of his draft pick status as a former number 4. He isn't a first 18 player at GWS.
We gifted Freo a compensation pick by giving Mayne a 4 x 500,000 deal. A deal that put us another spot back in the draft. That's 4 x 500,000 for a role player. Happy with Wells but his age is a concern.
I don't know which negotiator in the AFL could have done a worse job than that. In fact if that is the benchmark then I want a job for next seasons trade period. I can't do worse than the packet of stale chips we got for the players leaving than that.
Contrast those deals to what we got with Hine for Harry O, Wellingham, Ben Kennedy, Seedsman & Dawes. Did pretty well for all of them. Made the most of trades for Beams & Heater as well.
Cloke, Brown, Frost, Marley & probably Witts will all play plenty of senior football for their respective teams next year. We basically gave them away with poor negotiating. Our worst trade period in a long time in my opinion. Not impressed with Gubby at all.

No comment about the changes to the Football Department?

Was Hine sacked or something and I didn't hear about it? Cause I thought it was Hine leading the way during Trade week. Although he may have been given some instructions it was Hine who negotiated.

Witts couldn't get a game ahead of Grundy??? Was worth very little and if we'd kept him another year would have been worth nothing. Marley wasn't going to get a new contract because of his attitude to his Football in 2016 @ CFC. So he was worth nothing, Frost couldn't get back in the team. Another year of that he would have been worth nothing at all. Brown was a Free Agent (and didn't do very well this year - Free Agent worth nothing, hardly Gubby's fault) and Cloke I would have traded for 2 tickets to the worst broadway show in Darwin... he's had 1 good game in 3 years.

Don't over estimate their worth there, none of them were starting 22 next year.

As for the Footy Department... well it was failing on field... the changes made can't be disputed as good decisions.

Was Hine sacked or something and I didn't hear about it? Cause I thought it was Hine leading the way during Trade week. Although he may have been given some instructions it was Hine who negotiated.

Witts couldn't get a game ahead of Grundy??? Was worth very little and if we'd kept him another year would have been worth nothing. Marley wasn't going to get a new contract because of his attitude to his Football in 2016 @ CFC. So he was worth nothing, Frost couldn't get back in the team. Another year of that he would have been worth nothing at all. Brown was a Free Agent (and didn't do very well this year - Free Agent worth nothing, hardly Gubby's fault) and Cloke I would have traded for 2 tickets to the worst broadway show in Darwin... he's had 1 good game in 3 years.

As for the Footy Department... well it was failing on field... the changes made can't be disputed as good decisions.
Witts was first choice ruck at the start of the year. Not overly impressive but no disgrace either. Injury then crippled his season. Grundy was, according to many on this forum, no.2 AFL ruck later in the season: pretty hard to push out. Witts played well in the two's, decent finals series. There is every indication Witts will continue to improve over the next four years and is close to if not already AFL quality. How good he will get is up to question but the notion he will be worth nothing at the end of 2017 is misguided.

So what are your views on Keeffe &Thomas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hine was under Gubby's department. Balme was going to be as well.
Not complaining about the changes. Just about the crap return we got for any of them when we needed father son points. Cloke at 30 odd is worth twice what Dawes was worth at 18 years old, but we got good return for Dawes. Dogs bent us over on the Cloke trade. Especially seeing he was still contracted.
We waited 2 weeks to trade Cloke & then wilted & took whatever we could get. Witts may not be a super star now, but he has plenty of improving in him & 211cm ruckmen don't grow on trees. We used a pick 14 on Cam Wood ffs.

What changes to the football department do you want to speak of? The part where we bullshitted to Balme & Hine about Gubby's role? The part where that lie led to Balme jumping ship to the Tigers? The part where we are now without either of them? I like the appointments of Sanderson & Gotch, but lets not sugar coat a pretty ordinary period since the 2016 season ended. Our club is making some errors & should be called on them.

Let's go left field and appoint someone from big footy.

Who could get the gig from bigfooty ?

Only if it's an unbiased and objective poster from outside the club. Someone held with the utmost respect by the community as an individual with flawless knowledge, integrity and judgment. I think this narrows it down to either @AdamH or @theFinger

Witts was first choice ruck at the start of the year. Not overly impressive but no disgrace either. Injury then crippled his season. Grundy was, according to many on this forum, no.2 AFL ruck later in the season: pretty hard to push out. Witts played well in the two's, decent finals series. There is every indication Witts will continue to improve over the next four years and is close to if not already AFL quality. How good he will get is up to question but the notion he will be worth nothing at the end of 2017 is misguided.
Witts was diabolically bad in the finals I watched.

Only if it's an unbiased and objective poster from outside the club. Someone held with the utmost respect by the community as an individual with flawless knowledge, integrity and judgment. I think this narrows it down to either @AdamH or @theFinger
I thought of this guy

IMG_0191.JPG

some forward pressure players to keep the ball from rebounding out of forward 50 easier than any other side in the AFL (out goes Cloke [Thank Christ] and enters Mayne)..

Maybe if we had players front and centre to marking contests, who actually roved packs and were dangerous ground level players, the ball wouldn't rebound as often as WE still have the ball and would be generating scoring shots.

The current mind set of our club is we ARE going to lose the contests and hence need negator's Blair/Mayne/Goldsack (rather than actual forwards) to prevent the constant easy rebound.

Majority of our smalls play tall and like to fly...even our numero uno midget negator in Blair moonlights as a CHF.

So it's 12 months for aiding and abetting, but only 6 months for committing the crime, or have I missed some nuance?
12 months for aiding and abetting, and essentially an 8 week suspension for committing the offence. Same as Shaw got for placing a $10 bet in 2011. Another case of the AFL getting their priorities right.

12 months for aiding and abetting, and essentially an 8 week suspension for committing the offence. Same as Shaw got for placing a $10 bet in 2011. Another case of the AFL getting their priorities right.

The common factor in those two events (Gubby & Shaw) is the AFL's apparent desire to hurt Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back