Gubby has lost the plot!

Remove this Banner Ad

Great insightful posts in here, thanks for the breakdown and analysis guys. Was not thinking objectively and reacted weirdly to the trade news but have now seen the light. Let's hope it all pays off.

When you sit back and take it all in, yesterday was a thing of beauty. Who gives a s**t what other clubs BF posters think, everyone rubbished the original tactic of building the club, picking up has-beens and trading to improve draft positions was never gonna work. They were wrong. Every expert is saying the same thing, the talent in this draft is thin, yet we still get 2 highly rated kids and have an armoury of picks locked and loaded for next year and a bundle of cap space to go shopping. I'm backing the blokes that have been right in their approach on how to build a club from day 1.

Disappointed after the year we had almost making finals and more players in any previous year want to leave.

Gets me thinking did this effect trying to make finals? Was there some players already checked out? Some disappointed they knew they weren't getting new contracts?

You look at player like Williams and see the energy he has, he knows he is going be a round for a while and was backed by his coaches.

Also there go's a lot of players I liked and supported. I don't support the gws coaches and recruiters, I support the gws players.

Plowman I and devastating for, Treloar would have been nice to keep him apart from the s**t he put through, and then there is Bugg what did he do wrong?

Disappointed after the year we had almost making finals and more players in any previous year want to leave.

Gets me thinking did this effect trying to make finals? Was there some players already checked out? Some disappointed they knew they weren't getting new contracts?

You look at player like Williams and see the energy he has, he knows he is going be a round for a while and was backed by his coaches.

Also there go's a lot of players I liked and supported. I don't support the gws coaches and recruiters, I support the gws players.

Plowman I and devastating for, Treloar would have been nice to keep him apart from the s**t he put through, and then there is Bugg what did he do wrong?
In regards to plowman I think the club chose Buntine, Haynes and Marchbank over him. Bugg was a necessary loss as it clears his contract and allows us to play Steele full time

We have to be realitic about the go home factor. The fact that we can bring in so many local boys this year and next is going to make a huge difference to how settled our list is. We could never keep all the talent, and we really need to spread this list out age wise. We have undergone a judicious list correction and have lost only one of our best 22 / core. We have one player who is demanding to go home, and one who has asked (Cam, take note of Tommo's approach to this). The other boys are leaving for more opportunities, and happy to be closer to home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to see GWS go well and want to enjoy your games next year.

It was concern to me the exodus of players over trade period and the imminent exodus of McCarthy at the end of the year. Just makes it harder to enjoy watching a players exploits with a return home likely.

I do hope the AFL allows you the assistance you need (nurturing Academies and having the choice of these players.) in ensuring you can tap into NSW talent as it appears after this trade period to be the vital to the future of the club. I guess that is where the strength of the GWS and Swans to the wider game is really at. Bringing the talent in NSW into the AFL picture.

I would like to see GWS go well and want to enjoy your games next year.

It was concern to me the exodus of players over trade period and the imminent exodus of McCarthy at the end of the year. Just makes it harder to enjoy watching a players exploits with a return home likely.

I do hope the AFL allows you the assistance you need (nurturing Academies and having the choice of these players.) in ensuring you can tap into NSW talent as it appears after this trade period to be the vital to the future of the club. I guess that is where the strength of the GWS and Swans to the wider game is really at. Bringing the talent in NSW into the AFL picture.
Understand your concern, but we have had to turn over our list to get a better age spread and get some cap relief. Apart from Treloar, the guys we traded were surplus or fringe to our 22. McCarthy is the other 22 player who we'd rather not lose, but let's see how 2016 goes. Nonetheless, we should look to mitigate the go home factor with quality NSW kids as appropriate.

When you sit back and take it all in, yesterday was a thing of beauty. Who gives a s**t what other clubs BF posters think, everyone rubbished the original tactic of building the club, picking up has-beens and trading to improve draft positions was never gonna work. They were wrong. Every expert is saying the same thing, the talent in this draft is thin, yet we still get 2 highly rated kids and have an armoury of picks locked and loaded for next year and a bundle of cap space to go shopping. I'm backing the blokes that have been right in their approach on how to build a club from day 1.

One important consideration, if the giants that were traded out be in a winning GF team? Don't worry in 2016 we will look back (with all the low draft picks) as an act of genious in trading

One important consideration, if the giants that were traded out be in a winning GF team? Don't worry in 2016 we will look back (with all the low draft picks) as an act of genious in trading
I reckon we've really looked after Melbourne. They're every chance to be our GF opponent in 3 years when we are going for our 3-peat.

Really think teams giving away future picks (apart from Geelong and Collingwood) who got guns will regret there decisions, let's hope for a giants point of view I am correct

Really think teams giving away future picks (apart from Geelong and Collingwood) who got guns will regret there decisions, let's hope for a giants point of view I am correct
It's a catch 22. In isolation it makes sense and the club should do it every time. But if the receiving club picks up a gun player the following year, or the sending club plummets down the ladder, the fans of the original club are sure as eggs going to kick up a stink with 20/20 hindsight. The reverse isn't as likely to generate as high emotions because the receiving club already lost their good player and hey, it's a bonus first round pick. The exception is a trade of draft picks.

Well, tomorrow night we shall get our first peek at the assessment of whether Gubby is indeed a savant or has lost the plot. However, his approach is one that will be played out further next year, and indeed the full effect will only be seen at some point in the future. (That is, what is his drafting strategy over several years and does it provide GWS with the quality and breadth of players required to develop the team to challenge for the flag?)

What I do like about his strategy is that I expect GWS to have no (or very few points) left at the end of tomorrow night's national draft. Converting picks into future picks means that GWS can afford to match bids this year, knowing that the points deficit can simply be taken off next year's bill, with 2016 draft picks able to be replaced by those we've traded in from Collingwood, Geelong (via Carlton) and Adelaide. So we will get maximum value from our points this year. Indeed, I won't be surprised if GWS take the same approach next year and trades again for future picks in 2017 once it ascertains its 2016 draft plans. And so on in future years, depending on what needs GWS has and what Academy players are available.

However, there are aspects of the approach that I'm not 100% keen on. It does seem to telegraph the club's drafting strategy in advance to all other clubs, leaving us at their mercy if they want to bid much higher than warranted for players, which potentially costs GWS more points than necessary. If clubs bid realistically, then it will be hard to criticise. I also think GWS undersold some of the players it traded, particularly the four to Carlton. However, I'll allow that Carlton taking on Jed Lamb's contract $ probably cost us there, as well as the fact that GWS got him cheap (via the PSD) in the first place, the quid pro quo being in pick value returned to GWS. There were a few other odd aspects to the trade period, such as delisting Golds when GWS only extended his contract last year from end of 2015 to 2016 ... especially since GWS will need to delist the minimum three players again next year and had greatly reduced the pool of likely candidates with the clean out that had already occurred this year. Even if Sunshine demands and gets a trade to Freo and SJ retires (and I think he'll be keen to play well in 2016 and get a second year), Golds could have been the third player. I'd really hate to lose Tomlinson because it was convenient for list numbers.

In the end, need to trust that the professionals understand the team needs best, and have analysed all the permutations of their approach. However, I'll hold my judgement until I can see some tangible outcomes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back