News Gubby joins StKilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Sensational appointment. Our club is assembling a group of experienced and successful people to take us forward.

I particularly like this from the club’s website......

‘Allan’s role will focus largely on supporting the list management and recruiting team in the areas of player acquisition, retention, and overall list strategy’.

In other words focusing on keeping our young stars and building on that by enticing players from other clubs. Retention is just as important as recruitment.

Allan is smart, ruthless and cunning. And he’s a winner. Exactly what we need. I really like what is being assembled by Lethlean.

People win Premierships. This gives me more hope.

Sensational appointment. Our club is assembling a group of experienced and successful people to take us forward.

I particularly like this from the club’s website......

‘Allan’s role will focus largely on supporting the list management and recruiting team in the areas of player acquisition, retention, and overall list strategy’.

In other words focusing on keeping our young stars and building on that by enticing players from other clubs. Retention is just as important as recruitment.

Allan is smart, ruthless and cunning. And he’s a winner. Exactly what we need. I really like what is being assembled by Lethlean.

People win Premierships. This gives me more hope.

That's the role I have been complaining we lack for ages. There seems little actual strategy behind what we have been doing and getting someone like Neil Balme at Richmond who has an eye across the footy department will make a massive difference. We probably don't see his results as quickly as Richmond did with Balme but in 3 or 4 years this will be a very important moment. Gubby seems a bit grubby but he's what we need right now.

Gubby, Lethlean, Carlisle.
We've got more blokes that have been in exile than the French Foreign Legion.:p

6huia0.jpg

I really like what is being assembled by Lethlean.
Honestly...…..I don't think at this stage he could have realistically done any better with who he's brought into the club.....a mighty effort!

Agree entirely St Neil....it certainly gives you hope.....way way more than back in June.

I absolutely cringe thinking about some of the stuff said about him by some posters earlier this year.

Honestly...…..I don't think at this stage he could have realistically done any better with who he's brought into the club.....a mighty effort!

Agree entirely St Neil....it certainly gives you hope.....way way more than back in June.

I absolutely cringe thinking about some of the stuff said about him by some posters earlier this year.

Some people believe that success he achieved 15-20 years ago is no longer relevant to the football of today. Also some people believe that being in his mid 60s he’s getting a bit long in the tooth.

Of course both arguments are rubbish. The man knows what it takes to be successful and is still highly connected in the role he will perform for us. His experience and knowledge will be fantastic for us.

I can’t think of a club he has been associated with who hasn’t either been a Premier or a serious contender. Whether he was a player or administrator. From 1979 to now. That’s very impressive.

He’s in place early enough that we don’t get bloody minded on the value of pick 4 over 5 or 8 as well.

I feel confident that we’ll make the best decision possible all of a sudden. It’s a great feeling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a few months back when the doom and gloom posts were thick and fast around here where it looked like we were about to impload i got a message from a person in the club telling me not to panic everything was being blown out of propotion and things were in place to make a big differance for our club from 2018 ... i think this caps it off .... the club is going to be remarkably differant in 2019 and in spite of the disaster that was 2018 im excited for 2019
Well none of these guys are eligable to play are they ???
Wouldnt be getting too excited yet. List is still s**t, and the coach couldnt coach water down a hill in a hail storm.
We shall see.

Well none of these guys are eligable to play are they ???
Wouldnt be getting too excited yet. List is still s**t, and the coach couldnt coach water down a hill in a hail storm.
We shall see.

I think the list is in better shape than a lot of people think.

I am glad we had a stinker of a year, it will of woken up most of the players, they need to work harder, much harder than ever before.

As for the coach, lets see what happens with a good team of coaches around him. I will give Richo the players and the club another season before i go off half cocked and hang s**t on him, the players and the club.

I think the list is in better shape than a lot of people think.

I am glad we had a stinker of a year, it will of woken up most of the players, they need to work harder, much harder than ever before.

As for the coach, lets see what happens with a good team of coaches around him. I will give Richo the players and the club another season before i go off half cocked and hang s**t on him, the players and the club.
How about giving him 5 yrs of no finals, before you go off half cocked!

Well i am not going off half cocked, if you want to live in the past? go for it, i am looking to the future, all this whaa whaaa whaaa is wearing a bit thin.

Simon Lethlean has ticked all the boxes off-field this offseason. I've been pretty impressed with what he has done so far.
Yeah don't mind it....Seems to be assembling a group of like minded scoundrels!
Outside of Ratten of course. Why not hey, being nice guys has never helped us!

With Lethlean and Gubby running the ship, i'm expecting the Saints to get back
to their famously unscrupulous ways! Only this time hopefully with success!

Well i am not going off half cocked, if you want to live in the past? go for it, i am looking to the future, all this whaa whaaa whaaa is wearing a bit thin.
whaaaaaa whaaaaa whaaaaaa!

Not living in the past at all man! You just said you would give him more than 1 season
before going off half cocked!
I'm just pointing out that 5 yrs means, i can go off anytime i like!
And it Will be Full Cocked!

whaaaaaa whaaaaa whaaaaaa!

Not living in the past at all man! You just said you would give him more than 1 season
before going off half cocked!
I'm just pointing out that 5 yrs means, i can go off anytime i like!
And it Will be Full Cocked!

Re-read i said one more season, now off you go and go off somewhere else.

Far be it from me to jump to Richo’s defence, but it’s pretty hard to play finals when you’re the wooden spooner, through no fault of his own.

He really ought to be judged over the past three seasons as even the season after winning the spoon no realistic person could expect that we would play finals.

It’s very easy just to say a blanket 5 years with no finals but you have to look at where he started from.

Last edited:
Re-read i said one more season, now off you go and go off somewhere else.
Won't be going anywhere bud! I suggest you get used to the lack of love for Richo!
Wasn't it a generous 29% approval rating with our coach? So Nah i won't be falling for blind
optimism anymore. Bit long in the tooth for that!

Will say that i'll be happier than a pig in s**t if he can turn it around and deliver us
some success!
And Diehard your right!.....He should be judged only the last 3 seasons!
Problem is he is trending downwards. Still as we have seen last 2 seasons with other teams
it is possible! Though doubt we have as good a list those other sides.

But i agree with the notion that this list is underperforming and is most certainly
capable of much better! With the right breaks and momentum, no reason we can't play
finals as soon as next season!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back