News Gubby joins StKilda

Remove this Banner Ad

A colleague lost his 20 year old daughter to brain cancer today.

So I can't really complain.
Sorry I fell asleep early otherwise I would have replied sooner.

Terrible news. Life can be the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. My Grandpa who is my mentor and best mate is nearing the end. His last couple of weeks in hospital and I’m fulfilling his last wish which is to get him home and out for one last dinner and martini. Everyone can prepare you for the end but nothing really prepare anyone.

I think it’s so important to embrace every beautiful thing in the world everyday, whether it be family, friends or anything that makes us smile.

I’m always here for anyone that ever needs a chat. And I’m serious when I say I’m here in person as well for anyone that wants or needs a chat in person over a coffee or drink or nothing. I’m Bi-Polar and have had a few close calls with mismanagement - so whatever you think you can’t tell me, you can.

Live life. And again VDS, condolences on the terrible news.

If Doc was drafted at 18, he'd be Head Coach at 19. That's what he was at East Devonport. I know you are being humorous, but that bloke was our greatest player. Lockett, Stewart, Harvey, Roo etc were great great players, but the Doc was the greatest.

Allan Jeans gets much credit for that era ....and more. But Doc was the assistant coach at worst. Hodge gets talked about....but Doc was the business.

heading up to Devonport next week for work , ill stop at Latrobe and take a pic of his statue at the front of the footy ground

Its always hard, every time i lose a mate or family member, it rocks me to the core, even when i have had time to prepare for it.

There is always someone worse off than our self, sometimes we are just too blind to notice.

20 years old just not right makes no sense

You ok ?
Yes. It's a distant thing because i don't know him that well.

But it's just a s**t thing.

The guy is broken as you can imagine.

I honestly cannot fathom what that is like as a parent.

My son started having epileptic seizures last year and that was difficult enough.

We had our neighbours daughter throw herself under a train, and now this.

So yeah, I'm blessed. Just brings perspective to all the pettiness life throws at you.

Have a great day folks and hug the ones you love.

There's a certain lack of regard to perception to our off-field recruiting this year and I think it's great. At the height of our media hammerings a few years ago, can you imagine us taking on two people so publicly removed from their previous roles?

We're looking at what they can bring to the club rather than why they're available. Very Saintly.

If Doc was drafted at 18, he'd be Head Coach at 19. That's what he was at East Devonport. I know you are being humorous, but that bloke was our greatest player. Lockett, Stewart, Harvey, Roo etc were great great players, but the Doc was the greatest.

Allan Jeans gets much credit for that era ....and more. But Doc was the assistant coach at worst. Hodge gets talked about....but Doc was the business.
It was the Doc who was responsible for my lifelong love of the Saints. I also came from a tiny town on the far NW coast of Tassie. So isolated in those days we couldn't get any Tasmanian tv reception but we could watch Melbourne tv with a very high tv antenna. So could watch channel 7's footy shows subject to the reception fading in and out.

Had the joy of seeing him live at the G, at a Saints exhibition game at West Park in Burnie in 1968 and then when he came back and led Latrobe to 4 or 5 consecutive flags after they had been perennial wooden spooners for years.

The best thing I've ever seen on a footy field was the Doc in the first 5 or so minutes of the first of Latrobes flags. I think it was '70. It was a perfect day, no breeze, perfect playing surface. All teams knew he was the key so they doubleteamed him and tried to keep the ball away from his vicinity.

Anyway, back to the game. As usual testosterone and adrenaline flowing on the field, crowd roaring, ball ping-ponging, no clear advantage either way. The ball came out of the centre about 20 metres into Latrobe's forward line. At this point the Doc was sort of on the flank being minded by two bigger blokes when he took off at high speed towards the floating ball, minders on either side of him at arms length. The ball landed in front of him and bounced high. He ran under it and propped, and then tapped the ball with the back of his foot over his shoulder into his right hand. By this stage his minders had run passed him so he was enough distance from them to have a look to his right, size up the goals, bang it on his left foot and split the posts from at least 50 metres!! I kid you not!

It all happened in the blink of an eye, the crowd was on its feet screaming and we wondered if what we had actually seen what had just happened. The acclaim was universal, supporters, opponents and neutrals alike. None of us had ever seen anyone backheel a football over their shoulder, let alone at the speed they were all running and in what was a congested and contested space. A set shot from that distance for a goal would have been a highly creditable start but this was left foot running across the ground!!

Many thousands of NW coast people went to watch the Doc play in those years, including nonfooty people just to see what the fuss was about. He was quite banged up by then but he could control a ball as if by magic. He truly deserved the title of Mr Magic!!

And if we drafted him today, and Richo was still coach...

2eywfw8.jpg

obviously place for him...skinfolds not good enough. Then when he gets the chance, will need to be our 2nd ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So
That's not old xaverian
I played for Old Caesareans

Played in the guts.

Managed a few little kicks but they eventually pulled me outta there

Sorry I fell asleep early otherwise I would have replied sooner.

Terrible news. Life can be the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. My Grandpa who is my mentor and best mate is nearing the end. His last couple of weeks in hospital and I’m fulfilling his last wish which is to get him home and out for one last dinner and martini. Everyone can prepare you for the end but nothing really prepare anyone.

I think it’s so important to embrace every beautiful thing in the world everyday, whether it be family, friends or anything that makes us smile.

I’m always here for anyone that ever needs a chat. And I’m serious when I say I’m here in person as well for anyone that wants or needs a chat in person over a coffee or drink or nothing. I’m Bi-Polar and have had a few close calls with mismanagement - so whatever you think you can’t tell me, you can.

Live life. And again VDS, condolences on the terrible news.
Bless you, Mikka84. My latest research is titled it's "Good to be Good". It examines the positive physiological effects of prosocial, altruistic, compassionate, empathic and loving behavior. The hormonal responses and stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system provide protection to our DNA from the ravages of stress hormones like Cortisol. The effects on longevity in particular have proved stunning. Having had my own battles with PTSD and depression, i can empathise with you. Remember, it's good to be good!

Last edited:

The only positive about a genuine tragedy like the death of a chIld is it teaches you the true cost and value of everything. No one should outlive their children. It is one of nature's cruellest acts.

Don't anyone here dare dump St Bedes in with Xavier *shudder*
I went to St.Bede's. My son went to Xavier on a scholarship. Chalk and cheese. Xavier had amazing facilities, but its motto of "Men for Men" sounded more like the title of a gay pr0n movie than a motto for a school. It should have read "Elitist Men for Elitist Men".

I'm proud to say he was eventually expelled for fighting and arguing with the appalling head Jesuit who was a temporary stand-in during the search for a real principal. So proud of him for standing up for himself as the campaigner tried to rough him up physically. Peter Ryan is his name. Appalling creature.

When my boy graduated from Uni in Engineering he sent a very nice note to the teaching faculty at Xavier thanking them for their care and efforts. He added a PS. "Except for that c*nt Ryan." The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

I have a great story about Chris Judd's dad, who was also expelled from Xavier in Year 12 for a muck up day prank. It set off a chain of events that probably cost us his son. I'll explain in another thread.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back