News Gubby accepts 12 month ban and resigns

I like it. The worst part about trying to play a precise, transition play type of footy is trying to do it with players that cannot deliver the ball out of the backline.

It's just a shame that it took 5 years for them To realise that.

Goodbye Brown, Frost, Marsh.
Best of luck for the future, but god knows your kicking skills won't improve.

Hey Temploar. I've read your posts about coke not being cut with PEDs. Gubby is accused of hiding Whitfield from ASADA drug testers because he feared that the illicit drugs taken might have been laced with PEDs. Are you calling bullshit on that and if so can we assume that you think Whitfield took PEDs intentionally?

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clippers, Daniel Ricciardo Racing
Hey Temploar. I've read your posts about coke not being cut with PEDs. Gubby is accused of hiding Whitfield from ASADA drug testers because he feared that the illicit drugs taken might have been laced with PEDs. Are you calling bullshit on that and if so can we assume that you think Whitfield took PEDs intentionally?

Was thinking the same

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clippers, Daniel Ricciardo Racing
But what happened to

Gubby of Gubbiness?

Not specific to you Reg, just there was soooooo much cult like voodoo about the gubbinator in, and sweep, and do this, do that.
I don't mind Allan actually, but I was bemused at the Gubbiness of it all.
He's just one person doing a job.
hes ok too, but even the great Gubby can't do it all, takes time, and you need the currency.

Besides all this list angst in truth is more about the lower levels of our roster pool. It's hardly the end of the world.
We still have the great Grundy, Treloar, Scott, Reid, de Goey etc a lot to still keep,us going.

images

My opinion means * all when it comes To the Keeffe and Whitfield cases, I was only sharing my knowledge about what could have happened and some others agree with me and some don't but in the end, referring to this topic, only Whitfield and Allen know the truth.

My knowledge is that it's very very rare to find Rec drugs laced with PEDS because of many reasons but one of the main reasons is there being a lack of profit from the drug dealer who Only cares about money,
and I have had people agree but honestly who the * knows what really happened.

My knowledge of rec drugs only comes from what I have studied as I quite enjoy studying the effects of medicine and products on the human body and one of the things that Heavily impacts the mind is Rec drugs, my father was a drug addict and it lead to his death so naturally I have been very curious when it came to the subject and have seen many documentaries and read a lot of articles involving Such narcotics.

Anything I can say about the subject was already said in the Keeffe thread. Whatever the outcome Is none of my business.

Keeffe did his time. If whitfield and Allen are found guilty then they will face consequences too. That's life.

But really my opinion means * all, I'm nobody in the grand scheme of things.

My opinion means **** all when it comes To the Keeffe and Whitfield cases, I was only sharing my knowledge about what could have happened and some others agree with me and some don't but in the end, referring to this topic, only Whitfield and Allen know the truth.

My knowledge is that it's very very rare to find Rec drugs laced with PEDS and I have had people agree but honestly who the **** knows what really happened.

My knowledge of rec drugs only comes from what I have studied as I quite enjoy studying the effects of medicine and products on the human body and one of the things that Heavily impacts the mind is Rec drugs, my father was a drug addict and it lead to his death so naturally I have been very curious when it came to the subject and have seen many documentaries and read a lot of articles involving Such narcotics.

Anything I can say about the subject was already said in the Keeffe thread. Whatever the outcome Is none of my business.

Keeffe did his time. If whitfield and Allen are found guilty then they will face consequences too. That's life.

But really my opinion means **** all, I'm nobody in the grand scheme of things.

All good mate, just curious on your take. Perhaps this 'product' is specifically made for body builder types and our boys didn't realise.

All good mate, just curious on your take. Perhaps this 'product' is specifically made for body builder types and our boys didn't realise.

Could be, I don't know anymore mate. I've looked into it a bit more since I made that post and realised practically anything could have happened.

They're all young men just trying to enjoy themselves and most likely they took one thing because they thought they knew what it was and it ended up being something completely different and they got unfortunately busted for it. That's totally possible, it's also equally possible that they used PEDS to get an edge on the game.

Only they know what was going through their minds at the time.

Personally if I was an AFL footballer I'd stay away from drugs of any kind, it's too valuable a profession just to throw away, but the mind of a young person does things now and then thinks about the consequences later. Can't blame them.

The mind of a young person does things now and then thinks about the consequences later.

Gubby knows this better than anyone, he has been in the business long enough to know how to deal with people and their mistakes.

I believe Gubby was trying to protect Whitfield because (Lachie Whitfield) realises he made a stupid mistake and Gubby feels for him because he's seen many young players screw up their careers before.

Morally it is not so right, on a human level I think what he did to give Whitfield some level of comfort is great.

Whatever happens now is anyones guess but they were both in the wrong when you look at it from a moral point of view but i hope people can accept they did the wrong thing and move on.

If Gubby is hit with a lengthy suspension then serious questions will be asked of Ed and Pert's continued tenure at the club.

If Gubby is hit with a lengthy suspension then serious questions will be asked of Ed and Pert's continued tenure at the club.

I don't know why the questions haven't been asked already, to be honest with you.

I like to think of businesses/football organisations as a plant.

When you get the right people into management they lay the seeds of success down and eventually they blossom into a fine flower (2010) but no flower lives forever and always they eventually whittle away and the only way to fix things is to lay down new seeds (a fresh approach with fresh people and different ideas) instead of continually trying to water the dead plant hoping it comes back to life (Pert,Ed,Hine, etc. Sticking around for too long)

Don't necessarily have to get rid of the three I mentioned but get them to step back, Have some fresh faces in management and allow them to bring in the foundations of their ideas and run things a different way with a new approach and maybe things Will change.

Everything just seems too complacent at Collingwood right now.

We act like we're Manchester United but we have players with the quality of West Ham and we're trying to live off past glories like Arsenal.

Time to start being ruthless again because Eddie just seems to Be happy sitting around and making comments on radio. Get someone in with the passion for change, the same passion that Ed had when he first became pres.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gubby knows this better than anyone, he has been in the business long enough to know how to deal with people and their mistakes.

I believe Gubby was trying to protect Whitfield because (Lachie Whitfield) realises he made a stupid mistake and Gubby feels for him because he's seen many young players screw up their careers before.

Morally it is not so right, on a human level I think what he did to give Whitfield some level of comfort is great.

Whatever happens now is anyones guess but they were both in the wrong when you look at it from a moral point of view but i hope people can accept they did the wrong thing and move on.

Hiding from drug testers deserves the full force of the law. If this is proven to be the case the Gubby is gone for a long long time. Protecting a young kid from the repercussions of a stupid mistake is no excuse. In fact its closer to an admission of guilt than a legitimate reason for his actions..

From the scant evidence we have read in the papers the evidence is not compelling and he might get away with the benefit of the doubt. Time will tell.

Hiding from drug testers deserves the full force of the law. If this is proven to be the case the Gubby is gone for a long long time. Protecting a young kid from the repercussions of a stupid mistake is no excuse. In fact its closer to an admission of guilt than a legitimate reason for his actions..

From the scant evidence we have read in the papers the evidence is not compelling and he might get away with the benefit of the doubt. Time will tell.

Never said it was an excuse, they'll
get punished if there is sufficient evidence, no doubt.

But personally I have no issue with Gubby helping Whitfield out, I know what he did was wrong, but he was only trying to help out a fellow human being who made a silly mistake.

Illegal, yes.
Stupid, very.
Still think that Gubby did it because he kinda got where Whitfield was coming from. Gubby would have known how the kid felt and maybe he let his emotions get the better of him. Who can really say?

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers

is there any evidence that Whitfield missed a test?

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Without belabouring the point, Ed won't leave until his very very very old.
Just my view, unless somebody ousts him, he'll break Harry curtis' record tenure as president, might even double it....

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
My opinion means **** all when it comes To the Keeffe and Whitfield cases, I was only sharing my knowledge about what could have happened and some others agree with me and some don't but in the end, referring to this topic, only Whitfield and Allen know the truth.

My knowledge is that it's very very rare to find Rec drugs laced with PEDS because of many reasons but one of the main reasons is there being a lack of profit from the drug dealer who Only cares about money,
and I have had people agree but honestly who the **** knows what really happened.

But really my opinion means **** all, I'm nobody in the grand scheme of things.
I agree completely with your view. Dealers water down drugs to make money from the weight. They have no interest in cutting a drug with quality materials. Do PEDs enhance or imitate the effects of cocaine? If the answer is no, then why not use some easily obtained and legal substitute? AS you say, where is the profit to the drug dealer?

How would Gubby Allan have any suspicion, let alone knowledge, that Whitfield's REC drug contained a PED? Is he a pharmacologist or a football administrator?

Don't undersell yourself, Temploar. You know more about the production and sale of illegal drugs than the keyboard drug experts here. Can anyone produce evidence to support a view that substituting PED for cocaine is worthwhile to a dealer?

As to being 'nobody in the grand scheme of things', I offer up an Emily Dickinson poem:

I’m Nobody! Who are you?
Emily Dickinson, 1830 - 1886

I’m Nobody! Who are you?
Are you – Nobody – too?
Then there’s a pair of us!
Don’t tell! they’d advertise – you know!

How dreary – to be – Somebody!
How public – like a Frog –
To tell one’s name – the livelong June –
To an admiring Bog!

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
Hence the last sentence. We dont really know the answer to that because we have only been given scant information.

serious question because I have only read he wasn't where he usually sleeps. hiding from drug testers..yeah well we can all probably reach that conclusion by assuming we know what happened but can the afl prove it?

if they hand out a lengthy penalty this will end up in court and wont be finished for a year or two.

there is some 2+2 = 3 going on with gubby getting years. he'll get a fine or very small suspension just based on the "look" of this and so he doesn't appeal and it goes away.

whatever happens to allan will happen to lambert and that is a massive issue for the afl trying to sort Brisbane out.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bullshit. Thats just hippy talk. if he is guilty as charged the motivation is clearly the same as Whitfields. To prevent him getting caught. Allen is a hard edged businessman and it was a business decision. To protect the merchandise.
At least Temploar's explanation assigns some endearing elements to Allan's character. The last thing we need is 'a hard edged businessman' when our player welfare people are under fire and players are rumoured to be unhappy. Both of you acknowledge that legally Gubby is accountable, so there is no argument over the outcome, only the motive.

Don't undersell yourself, Temploar. You know more about the production and sale of illegal drugs than the keyboard drug experts here.!

Haha, why thank you! Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. People were inadvertently calling me/us (who were discussing it in the Keeffe thread) a drug dealer(s) and I must admit it gave me a little chuckle, I would be the worst drug dealer ever! I'm terrible at negotiation and I'm too nice lol. All someone needs to do is give me a sob story and I'd be like wow mate you really do need drugs, cheer up! And then I'd throw them in for free.

Someone even suggested calling ASIO! Haha mate if asio walked into my apartment I can guarantee you all they'd find is a bunch of dirty dishes, unorganised paperwork, maccas paper bags, and tissues on the floor.

I enjoy studying the human brain, the reward and pleasure system, and the effect medication has on them, not neccesarily illegal meds most of the time. All stuff that can affect the way we think or feel emotions.

It's probably the only subject I've found where information about it sticks into my brain like glue and I enjoy learning about it.

Shame I can't get a career working with medicine or psychiatry, left school in year 10 and Can't be arsed spending the next 7 years of my life stressing myself just for a laminated piece of paper.
Oh well, looks like it's factory worker for my life career then! Haha. Stupid degrees.

(PS: the tissues on the floor are because my nose gets runny in the spring with hay fever and all OMG what did you think they were?! Get your mind out of the gutter!)
...or maybe I lied, do I really have hay fever?, you tell me... ;)

The Dawes

Premiership Player
Feb 19, 2008
Punxutawney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Notts County FC,
I don't know why the questions haven't been asked already, to be honest with you.

I like to think of businesses/football organisations as a plant.

When you get the right people into management they lay the seeds of success down and eventually they blossom into a fine flower (2010) but no flower lives forever and always they eventually whittle away and the only way to fix things is to lay down new seeds (a fresh approach with fresh people and different ideas) instead of continually trying to water the dead plant hoping it comes back to life (Pert,Ed,Hine, etc. Sticking around for too long)

Don't necessarily have to get rid of the three I mentioned but get them to step back, Have some fresh faces in management and allow them to bring in the foundations of their ideas and run things a different way with a new approach and maybe things Will change.

Everything just seems too complacent at Collingwood right now.

We act like we're Manchester United but we have players with the quality of West Ham and we're trying to live off past glories like Arsenal.

Time to start being ruthless again because Eddie just seems to Be happy sitting around and making comments on radio. Get someone in with the passion for change, the same passion that Ed had when he first became pres.
Agree on all fronts
Problem with Eddie is that Eddie still believes no one else can do the job as well as Eddie can- who is going to tap him on the shoulder when all the board were put there by him or are there with his imprimatur, includes Pert too for that matter

Like the EPL analogy

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Haha, why thank you! Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. People were inadvertently calling me/us (who were discussing it in the Keeffe thread) a drug dealer(s) and I must admit it gave me a little chuckle, I would be the worst drug dealer ever! I'm terrible at negotiation and I'm too nice lol. All someone needs to do is give me a sob story and I'd be like wow mate you really do need drugs, cheer up! And then I'd throw them in for free.

Someone even suggested calling ASIO! Haha mate if asio walked into my apartment I can guarantee you all they'd find is a bunch of dirty dishes, unorganised paperwork, maccas paper bags, and tissues on the floor.

I enjoy studying the human brain, the reward and pleasure system, and the effect medication has on them, not neccesarily illegal meds most of the time. All stuff that can affect the way we think or feel emotions.

It's probably the only subject I've found where information about it sticks into my brain like glue and I enjoy learning about it.

Shame I can't get a career working with medicine or psychiatry, left school in year 10 and Can't be arsed spending the next 7 years of my life stressing myself just for a laminated piece of paper.
Oh well, looks like it's factory worker for my life career then! Haha. Stupid degrees.

(PS: the tissues on the floor are because my nose gets runny in the spring with hay fever and all OMG what did you think they were?! Get your mind out of the gutter!)
...or maybe I lied, do I really have hay fever?, you tell me... ;)
You must be all of 20/21 now. You are much wiser than the mere passage of years would credit you. You can do better than factory work. What about youth work or some welfare field studied via TAFE. TAFE is a lay back way to learn and you can transfer across if you really get serious. It won't take you seven years and you can work at the same time. No point being your factory's most talented writer if you have no outlet for your writing. Look into Cert 4's, diplomas, degrees etc.It's not so hard and would be financially and personally rewarding. You'd be suited to welfare/helping professions.

doodles98

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree completely with your view. Dealers water down drugs to make money from the weight. They have no interest in cutting a drug with quality materials. Do PEDs enhance or imitate the effects of cocaine? If the answer is no, then why not use some easily obtained and legal substitute? AS you say, where is the profit to the drug dealer?

How would Gubby Allan have any suspicion, let alone knowledge, that Whitfield's REC drug contained a PED? Is he a pharmacologist or a football administrator.

Don't undersell yourself, Temploar. You know more about the production and sale of illegal drugs than the keyboard drug experts here. Can anyone produce evidence to support a view that substituting PED for cocaine is worthwhile to a dealer?

As to being 'nobody in the grand scheme of things', I offer up an Emily Dickinson poem:

I’m Nobody! Who are you?

I’m Nobody! Who are you?
Are you – Nobody – too?

To an admiring Bog!
Hi GG. Firstly, I don't know.. I am just repeating what I've learned on this matter... You can do some basic internet research on clenbuterol and you will see that it is in fact a very cheap chemical... and widely available and legal by prescription in some countries. It is a desirable cutting compound for high-end illicit drugs due to it having similar effects as the drug itself (it's a stimulant and does not counteract a high). The short term effects of it are similar to amphetamine. Clen is a well known weight loss drug. Weight loss from recreational drug use is actually a "thing". It is a cutting agent you would only find in "quality" gear. Like most markets.. there is an upmarket drug market and a cut price drug market. At least this is what my research on the matter shows.

The other thing that has swayed me a bit here is that neither Keefe nor Thomas are likely candidates who would be benefiting professionally from a weight loss drug. Keefe especially does not need to be any skinnier I wouldn't have thought.

Cake Walker

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

How would Gubby Allan have any suspicion, let alone knowledge, that Whitfield's REC drug contained a PED? Is he a pharmacologist or a football administrator?

I’m Nobody! Who are you?

I’m Nobody! Who are you?
Are you – Nobody – too?

To an admiring Bog!

Clenbuterol is a sympathomimetic, which means you can cut down the active ingredient in cocaine while increasing the filler. That allows a greater weight, decrease in the expensive cocaine element of the compound while at the same time giving the same physiological effects with the aid of the clenbuterol. Economically, it makes sense to cut it with cheaper agents that give similar effects to maintain the 'quality'.

Like the EPL analogy

It's true.

We all tell ourselves we are still the biggest club in Australia.

But are we really?

Our membership numbers Have dropped significantly in recent years, at one point looking like it would reach 80,000 and come 2017 we might even find it hard to reach 55,000.

This year I believe 4-5 clubs had more members than us. I saw a list of the exact figures but can't be bothered digging it up right this minute.

We were also only around 4th for the club that was most watched on TV. People watched the Bulldogs more than us this season, and rightfully so.

So, what constitutes us as a "big club"? Is it because we have money?
How much cash an AFL club has is way less significant than it is in other sports. AFL's currency is draft picks and players of value. All a club needs is enough money to stay afloat and they can do alright in this league.
Our money doesn't buy us players, it's not soccer. There are no transfer fees.
We can't use it to give lucrative contracts and draw star players that way. We are bound by the same salary cap as everyone else.

In my honest opinion I don't believe we are currently the biggest club in Aus like we were and it irritates me when someone says we are still the powerhouse we used to be. The playing field is much more even these days.

The people in charge of other big clubs know this, they're not stupid, they don't buy into the delusions, they're not scared of Collingwood anymore.

It's time to accept we are not as great as we once were and do something about it and it starts from the top unfortunately and like I said they seem to be too complacent relying on stuff like past glories, the loyalty people have for this club, and silly tag lines like "side by side".

I want us to be the envy of the nation again.

Back