Competitions Guess our first three picks in the '17 draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no idea what these kids are like so here's my top three picks

3 Best available mid.

10 Best available mid.

30 Best available mid.

Usual quote from CFC after the draft: "A flexible utility, we liked the athleticism, run off half back, ability to push up into the midfield and potential to become a solid contributor."

Quote I wanna hear: "A pit bull at the contest, he will slot straight into our midfield, smash his way through packs or die trying and create havoc for opposition defenders with his gut busting running, explosiveness and unrelenting tackle pressure. In fact he is such an onfield animal, we expect him to get rubbed out at least a few weeks every year."

Okay so draft day. My 3rd and final go at this all things considered.

3. Paddy Dow

I feel SOS would know exactly what Paddy thinks about coming to Carlton. Nobody is shifting off this pick so I don't believe we are taking a risk with his North romanticism.

Contested ball getter who can burst from a stoppage is something we are missing. Also has no questions over his desire. Works well in traffic and evades tacklers while waiting for his runners to come. A natural feel for the game. I have steadfastly wanted LDU for the last couple of months and it will be hard to pass him up but I think we have a team balance strategy at play here. Dow is also ranked #1 by a few teams.

10. Lochie O'Brien

Will be tough if DFog, Clark or Coffield fall here but again I think there is strategy at play.

LOB is an outside runner with a huge tank, line breaking ability and one of the best kicks in the draft. Long and accurate and he spots up some very tight options very well. Does try to take some low percentage options occasionally but that will be erased following some basic team rules and game plan.

The strategy part aside from pace and ball use is he is a teammate of Dow at the Bendigo Pioneers. It will help both settle in well and may even help us reclaim a piece of the hearts and minds of our former heartland. Not a bad thing as we set to rejuvenate our membership numbers.

30. Joel Garner

Was seriously looking at Jordan Houlahan here as a high flying medium forward is a need as well. However, I could see us opting for Garner who is a great leader and a real talker on field.

A midfielder who is a good kick and has even been described as having some x factor. He has settled into the half back line this year and found his best form. The versatility is an attraction.

Also consider Petruccelle or McPherson here.

3. Paddy Dow

I feel SOS would know exactly what Paddy thinks about coming to Carlton. Nobody is shifting off this pick so I don't believe we are taking a risk with his North romanticism.

Contested ball getter who can burst from a stoppage is something we are missing. Also has no questions over his desire. Works well in traffic and evades tacklers while waiting for his runners to come. A natural feel for the game. I have steadfastly wanted LDU for the last couple of months and it will be hard to pass him up but I think we have a team balance strategy at play here. Dow is also ranked #1 by a few teams.

10. Lochie O'Brien

Will be tough if DFog, Clark or Coffield fall here but again I think there is strategy at play.

LOB is an outside runner with a huge tank, line breaking ability and one of the best kicks in the draft. Long and accurate and he spots up some very tight options very well. Does try to take some low percentage options occasionally but that will be erased following some basic team rules and game plan.

The strategy part aside from pace and ball use is he is a teammate of Dow at the Bendigo Pioneers. It will help both settle in well and may even help us reclaim a piece of the hearts and minds of our former heartland. Not a bad thing as we set to rejuvenate our membership numbers.

30. Joel Garner

Was seriously looking at Jordan Houlahan here as a high flying medium forward is a need as well. However, I could see us opting for Garner who is a great leader and a real talker on field.

A midfielder who is a good kick and has even been described as having some x factor. He has settled into the half back line this year and found his best form. The versatility is an attraction.

This is what I am hoping for as well and has been mentioned in numerous mock drafts.

Would give us a really good balance with our first 3 picks of 2 x midfielders, one a stoppage beast with speed and the other an outside linking runner, then also a running half back. Perfect.

They all seem like the right personality types as well being very driven, hard-working individuals.

3. Paddy Dow

10. Lochie O'Brien

30. Joel Garner

Sold

I haven't done a lot of research on Ed Richards, can someone please tell me what the big attraction is? I know there's been a few recruiters linking him to us recently, but after looking into him a little I just feel like we could potentially have so many better options available for us that we could pick.

I haven't done a lot of research on Ed Richards, can someone please tell me what the big attraction is? I know there's been a few recruiters linking him to us recently, but after looking into him a little I just feel like we could potentially have so many better options available for us that we could pick.

Grandson of Ron Richards & nephew of Lou Richards.

Sorry that's all I've got.

I think recruiters are linking him to us to troll the Filth. :D

Looks like Dow (pick 3) and Richards (pick 10) will be in navy blue next year. I’m really hoping for Miers or Houlahan at 30

Pick 3 - Dow
Pick 10 - LOB
Pick 30 - Houlahan, Constable or Daniels

I’m a big fan of houlahan but no one really brings his name up in their rankings. Just saw KM put him for us at 30 in his phantom. Think he has a lot of scope to develop and possibly into the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Grandson of Ron Richards & nephew of Lou Richards.

Sorry that's all I've got.

I think recruiters are linking him to us to troll the Filth. :D

It may just be me but I haven't seen what the late hype is all about.. Although sticking one up Filthwood is always enjoyable :);)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 3 - Dow - I'd like LDU but the extra pace is going to be important with our midfield group
Pick 10 - Stephenson (if he slides he's too good to pass up, worth the medical risk)
Pick 30 - Houlahan - Good kick for goal and would love to see him and Charlie roaming the forward half.

Pick 3: There are 4 players and I'll be happy with whichever one ends up in navy. Dow, Rayner, LDU, Cerra. I'll put them in that order.

Pick 10: Darcy Fogarty if not a top 4 slider. If all gone then Coffield, Bonar, Clark or Richards. I'll call Bonar.

Pick 30: The slider. There's always one. Can tell you how excited this forum will be and how disappointed if we let him slide past us. I'll say it's Stephenson. Would LOVE Ballard despite the lack of love on this forum but he's shot up into the top 20. /sigh

Regardless, ISWT -- In SOS We Trust

I hate sliders, unless they slid because of an off-field indiscretion.

Dow and LOB.

I can see the common argument... "There's a reason why they slid..." I guess Menzel showed us that to be true.

I'd argue I'd accept a health query like Stephenson's. Most doctors are saying that it's not going to affect his career. I see that being a more important case if you're riding your team's only high pick on him. He'd do well for a team with a second or third high pick. So that's Freo, Saints, us, Dogs, Brisbane, and Richmond.

Surely we take bonar over lob or Richards ??? It would be awesome to have another Charlie curnow

OK I'll have a stab at this - all in on all picks

#3 - Daddy Pow (not sure who mentioned this but who doesn't love a good spoonerism). Some say Danger traits, I see more Shuey - the clearance work, the explosive pace, goal kicking and prone to bombing by foot

#10 - LOB, I see a lot of a young Dal Santo moreso than Gaff. Reckon he will be a fantastic pro athlete and develop more of an in/out balance as he goes

#30 - Constable, if that late season groin issue and crappy 2km is the reason he drops to #30 I will seriously LMFAO....Vic metro's 2nd best at the carnival behind Rayner and the best inside hands in the draft, got Cripps written all over him. Can also play a utility role all over the ground. I liked him at 10 so I'll rapaciously ingest some 30's action!!

#70ish - Roughsedge, not sure if it was Arr0w or TSG that first mentioned him, but thanks to Jimmae posting TAC cup links I got to see some full games of his and he has some serious J. Selwood traits...only question is whether someone wants to take a chance on him being overaged and that mangled leg and the time it's going to take to get him back up to speed conditioning wise.

Late picks or Rookies
Jones - 22yo beast ruckman, hopefully past most of his growing injuries - see what happens with a year or 2 in a pro-system
Crowden - If Boof Lehman played footy this is what he would have looked like. Lemingmaster selected him in the main board phantom and after reviewing his highlights and watching U18 carnival - worth a punt
McGannon - a Gunston type, later December kid....this years T-Willy selection???

Hope everyone enjoys the night - great reading the draft threads (although the last few days have been a bit feral) and appreciate the numerous contributions of Arrow, TSG, TerryWallet and Jimmae. Always well reasoned opinions even if they differ from my own and at least prompt me to go reasearch some stuff at night when the kids have gone to sleep.

Smell what we're cooking, you know we're coming!!:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back