Guess the amount of games they will play competition!

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
This years draftees all look like they could be great players for us for years to come but how many games will they play their first year? Let's check this thread at the end of the year and see who was closest to the pin.

For mine, I think

Sonsie will play 5 games later in the season after the club feels confident with his body. I really love the potential upside of this kid.

He is such a smooth mover, perceptive and instinctual around stoppages and seems to slow down time like all the best players do. Just needs to get his body right and I think he could be the best midfielder from this draft! Big call I know, but he was rated that way at the start of the year before injuries and in our system he will develop rapidly unlike at North, Adelaide or even the Bombers. He is not a inside bull but that is not how we win premierships, we need great ball users and natural footballers with speed. He ticks all the boxes.

Gibcus will play 12 games after they give him a game early and he excels at the level and the selectors decide they will leave him in the side.

Gibcus will really compliment our backline. I can see he and Balta forming a near impenetrable wall in our D50 for years to come. In actually see them much like Astbury and Grimes, with Gibcus being our play maker and causing issues for opposition forwards like Rance did, for the length of his career. The best part is that he is a natural defender who can lock down forwards and float off them to intercept. He is good by foot and a good decision maker. I think he could be a steal of the draft and be one of those player opposition supporters shake their heads and ask - 'How the hell did we miss that bloke!'

Brown will play 2 games after earning his spot by stringing in a few solid games together at VFL level.

I think Brown will work in tandem extremely well with Short. I believe he could be far better than Short defensively though and reads the play through the air better. He hasn't the raking kick Short has but he has greater pace and is a clever decision maker which deposes of the ball which doesn't buckle to pressure easily. I think we really have set up our backline for another generation with our first two picks to work in with Balta, Short and Vlaustin.

Banks and Clarke won't play a game in his first season due to competition for spots and development.

Banks has class written all over him. The fact that Clarke said that the club considered trading up for him and Sonsie (in the same breath) shows how much upside they feel Banks has. Clarke seems a definite upgrade on some of our other small forwards. He is extremely attacking and seems to me in the mould of a Green for mine. I think they both have a lot of upside and, unlike our other recent draftees, will be able to develop and show their ability at VFL level from day 1.

What's your game prediction?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
Probably also depends heavily on injury and whether our other developing players step up this year. I fear for our other midfielders if Sonsie shows his ability early and think Parker may make way for Gibcus and/or Brown. Aarts and Castagna will also need to look over their shoulder with Clarke obvious skill and speed around goal.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Too early to tell for me...after all the brouhaha from last year's angst...
Reckon the senior side need to step up and lead the way...apart from the odd!?!?!?! injury and managed senior players I do not expect any of our new recruits to play more than the trial game to try and justify their pick..

DeLaCon

All Australian
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
All of them should get a taste of AFL senior footy. It will help in there development. Gibcus Brown and
Sonsie should get between 5 and 7 games. Banks and Clarke should get about 5 games.

Miller whose veen around a few years needs games. Hopefully he gets 10 to 12 games, Dow Collier Dawkins and Ralphsmith 10 to 15 games each.

We need to get games into our kids.

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
All of them should get a taste of AFL senior footy. It will help in there development. Gibcus Brown and
Sonsie should get between 5 and 7 games. Banks and Clarke should get about 5 games.

Miller whose veen around a few years needs games. Hopefully he gets 10 to 12 games, Dow Collier Dawkins and Ralphsmith 10 to 15 games each.

We need to get games into our kids.

Guess it depends how we start the season and the health of our senior players. I'd love to see the young guys get as many games as we can but if all of those players you mentioned get that amount of games, then I'm predicting we haven't had the best of seasons.

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
With all of these recruits chosen below 30, I feel its likely that they will provide immediate competition for spots for our other draftees from previous years.

Gibcus with be competing with Miller but the cupboard is pretty bare otherwise. I'm expecting him to step into the AFL side very quickly as a result.
Grimes, Tarrant, Balta and Miller are all tall defenders ahead of him atm but I could see him skipping past Miller very quickly and stepping straight into the team at the first sign of injury.

Brown is probably competing with Vlaustin, Broad and Manfield. Broad is slowly getting on (though was on fire last season before he was injuried) and Vlaustin is still a star. I think he could skip past Manfield quickly though and be the first replacement for these two if needed.

Banks is competing with Baker, Rioli and possibly Manfield and Parker. I think they would like to move Rioli and Baker out of the backline so this could open the gate quickly for Banks. Might be the first to get a game.

Sonsie has more players he has to push past - Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Bolton, RCD, Ross, Martyn and Dow namely. Luckily for him, I can see our coaching staff eager to rest our more experienced midfielders through the middle stages of the season so a spot will be available if he earns it at VFL level.

Clark has Castagna, Aarts and RJ ahead of him. He really could push into the team very quickly if he shows at VFL level that he can frantically defend and kick opportunistic goals. Neither Castagna nor Aarts have proven that of late.

Sol23

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Hopefully as many as possible. A lot of the kids these days are ready so just ply them if they are. Rather them get the experience at AFL level surrounded by our guns.

Nov 9, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
🐍🏆Ophidian Old Boys🏆🐍 and Mizzou
Will all be delisted and play 0 games as Richmond only recruit duds. Enjoy 2016 again (according to U2tigers).
Nice try, I said nothing about those drafted. I wouldn't have much of a clue about the draftees like most of us.

Not sure how you link my comment with anything to do with these kids.

My post was about Dimma and that I think he is only as good as the assistants he's has under him, Premierships seasons or not.

Nice try, I said nothing about those drafted. I wouldn't have much of a clue about the draftees like most of us.

Not sure how you link my comment with anything to do with these kids.

My post was about Dimma and that I think he is only as good as the assistants he's has under him, Premierships seasons or not.

Tony Jewell and Tom Hafey, s**t coaches. Only as good as those under them. You're logic. Cool. Can't wait for pre covid times of 2016 again. Do you reckon Gibcus is more of a McBean or McGuane type? RCD should just retire you reckon? Should Dimma just resign and we try and get Blake to take over?

Nov 9, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tony Jewell and Tom Hafey, sh*t coaches. Only as good as those under them. You're logic. Cool. Can't wait for pre covid times of 2016 again. Do you reckon Gibcus is more of a McBean or McGuane type? RCD should just retire you reckon? Should Dimma just resign and we try and get Blake to take over?
LOL what the hell are you dribbling.

I haven't mentioned Tony Jewell or Tom Hafey.

Or the kids.

So stop trying to tell me what I think.

I will answer the part I bolded, as that actually does relate to what I posted.

Dimma was crap in 2016, and he even admitted it and apologised for it. It's no secret he improved when we got in the Assistants we did, who he gave more responsibilities to.

I would love for Dimma to pass the reigns to Blake (if the club was to get him back), when the time comes, what a great idea. I reckon Blake is one of the best minds in the game.

Or the kids.

Dimma was crap in 2016, and he even admitted it and apologised for it. It's no secret he improved when we got in the Assistants we did, who he gave more responsibilities to.

I would love for Dimma to pass the reigns to Blake, when the time comes, what a great idea. I reckon Blake is one of the best minds in the game.

You actually inferred that they weren't Hardwicks Premierships as coach. You obviously feel that Hardwick can't coach. You don't rate him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 9, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
You actually inferred that they weren't Hardwicks Premierships as coach. You obviously feel that Hardwick can't coach. You don't rate him.
I do believe he needs good assistants under him, and I do credit the assistants for our improvement, along with Dimma changing his coaching approach.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

Or the kids.

I would love for Dimma to pass the reigns to Blake (if the club was to get him back), when the time comes, what a great idea. I reckon Blake is one of the best minds in the game.
So your only a good coach if you win finals/Premierships?
I do recall we did make finals the previous 3 yes too 16 in which mind you going thru a period where most of the best kids went north.
Not a bad effort despite the result of 16 one would of thought.🙄

Remove this Banner Ad

Back