Rumour Guess the Gold Coast Signings

Remove this Banner Ad

The Footy Echo

Debutant
Jul 25, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm prepared to have a punt at a few players I can see signing for the Gold Coast for next season. Some of them will be the obvious ones that have already been mentioned, but I'll have a punt on a few others. I haven't been able to mind out a great deal about the off-contract players on each list, but I'll throw in a couple I can see clubs trading as well.

:footy: Ricky Petterd (The way he spoke when asked about it the other day in the HS suggested he could be tempted by a big offer from up North)

:footy: Gary Ablett (He would have spoken more publicly about his intentions to remain with the Cats if he was serious about remaining with them. Whether Nathan enjoys this season might have a large impact on his decision)

:footy: Jarrod Harbrow (The Bulldogs aren't going to be able to match the mega dollars Gold Coast will throw at him to return to Queensland. Unless he wins a flag, I wouldn't be surprised if he left)

:footy: Jared Brennan (Has never prospered at the Lions and was close to leaving a few years ago. It would create plenty of friction between the two clubs, but he is off contract and could be lured by coin)

:footy: Shaun Hampson (Has been heavily hyped by the Blues, but is another Queensland boy that might be lured home by cash. Has been left behind in the pecking order by Warnock and Kruezer, and could be for a long time)

:footy: Travis Cloke (Has never fulfilled his potential with the Pies, and I would not be surprised if they let him go/traded him to get some compensation for a player that has struggled since winning the Copeland Trophy)

There are a few other names I could throw up, but I'd rather leave it open for others to throw a few up. Michael Hurley is another that has been mooted, and it is interesting to look at the Queensland players on each list. At Hawthorn, a player like Michael Osborne, who is a fringe player, is originally from Queensland.

The 'next stage' thread - lets look at the Qlders and diassatisfieds on other club lists. I suppose its understandable that GC have so many of their squad currently from Qld, but compare this to Lions who have just six Qlders on their list.

The Dissatisfieds will be a far more curious list. We should be on the lookout for stinky players, on the nose with their current club or vice versa (Luke Ball with Saints last year) regardless of whether they are 'in contract' or not.

This year's Trade week is going to be helter skelter, as will the Draft and Pre season draft. In the meantime, I have the Lions to watch. No doubt Vossy will cast off a few more players at seasons end. (Rischi again?)

Michael Osborne is definitely not a fringe player at Hawthorn. He's been in Melbourne for 10 years so it's hardly "returning home" for him. I expect Campbell Brown will be the one we'll lose. Bluey McKenna needs someone to build the team 'spirit' around and there's no better than Browny when it comes to passion.

:footy: Jared Brennan (Has never prospered at the Lions and was close to leaving a few years ago. It would create plenty of friction between the two clubs, but he is off contract and could be lured by coin)

Greetings! How are things back in 2006... would you mind placing a bet on the Eagles for the flag for me?

Here's a list of Queenslanders on each list:

Adelaide
Kurt Tippett
Brad Moran

Brisbane
Jamie Charman
Josh Drummond
Daniel Merrett
Albert Proud
Andrew Raines
Bryce Retzlaff
Cheynee Stiller

Carlton
Shaun Hampson

Collingwood
Dayne Beams
Shane O'Bree
Josh Thomas

Essendon
Courtenay Dempsey

Fremantle

Geelong

Hawthorn
Michael Osborne
Brent Renouf
Brendan Whitecross

Melbourne
Ricky Petterd
Rohan Bail
Brad Miller

North Melbourne
David Hale
Gavin Urqhart
Ben Warren

Port Adelaide

Richmond
Luke McGuane

St Kilda
David Armitage
Sam Gilbert
Nick Riewoldt

Sydney
Jesse White

West Coast

Western Bulldogs
Jason Akermanis
Mitch Hahn
James Mulligan
Tom Williams
Jarrod Harbrow

I may have missed a few, but that's the list I've come up with. I think the issue, rather than returning home, will be disgruntled players looking for game time and also a pay rise.

Here's a secondary list, of potentially disgruntled players, or players who may be moved on by clubs.

:footy: Adelaide
Jonothan Griffin
Brad Moran
James Sellar

All talls, so it is very unliekly they would go after all of them, if any

:footy: Brisbane
Troy Selwood
James Hawkesly
James Polkinghorne

These three are midfielders that have been pushed back slightly in the pecking order and could continue to if Voss recruits heavily

:footy: Carlton
Shaun Hampson
Richard Hadley
Simon Wiggins

Have all fallen behind other players when Brett Ratten meets his team of assistants at the selection table. I'd be especially worried about Hampson if I was a Blues fan. Warnock and Kruezer will be the ruck combination for the next ten years, so Hampson might see the only option to be a trade.

:footy: Collingwood
Travis Cloke
Ben Reid
Cameron Wood

Recruiting Jolly means Wood will get few opportunities. Interesting to note Shane O'Bree was dropped by Collingwood. Maybe he could return home for one last hurrah to add some experience.

:footy: Essendon
Tom Bellchambers
Michael Hurley
David Myers

I wonder whether Hurley to umbrage to his inter-club suspension. Bellchambers has been used sparingly by Matty Knights, while Myers continues to play twos footy.

:footy: Fremantle
Steven Dodd
Ryan Murphy
Byron Schammer

Again, limited opportunities for this trio

:footy: Geelong
Gary Ablett
Ryan Gamble
Nathan Djekkura

The Cats group is so tight knit it is tough to see anyone leaving. The lure of cash might be too great for Gary though.

:footy: Hawthorn
Campbell Brown
Travis Tuck
Beau Dowler

Tuck and Dowler have been rarely sighted since last season. As for Brown, he is playing a role foreign to him and not playing great footy. Maybe he is the enforcer the GC could throw some coin at.

:footy: Melbourne
Ricky Petterd
Daniel Bell

Petterd is only mentioned because of the comments he made a few weeks ago saying it would be a dream to be able to play in front of his family.

:footy: North Melbourne
David Hale
Ed Lower

You would imagine the majority of the young Roos list would stay together, but Hale plays only a bit role, especially when Drew Petrie will return, so he might think about a return to the QLD.

:footy: Port Adelaide
Travis Boak
Michael Pettigrew
Troy Chaplin

I don't see alot of the Power, but I'm fairly sure Pettigrew and Chaplin wax a spot in the side, so maybe it is time for one to consider their options. As for Boak, he is a gun and I think he will stay, but I wouldn't be surprised if the GC17 franchise put a big offer on the table.

:footy: Richmond
Nathan Foley

I don't think there are too many players from the Tigers that will interest the GC, but Foley, after injury worries early this season could be one.

:footy: St Kilda
Jack Steven
Rhys Stanley

Two really talented young players who might find the lure of greater playing time and money too much to resist

:footy: Sydney
Patrick Veszpremi

The swans list looks very settled, but maybe GC will make a play for the first round pick from a few years ago

:footy: West Coast
Quinten Lynch
Chris Masten

For such a high pick, Masten hasn't offered what he promised, so maybe a change on scenery is what he needs. Lynch has fallen out of favour recently and is a good enough player to play some role for the new side at AFL level.

:footy: Western Bulldogs
Jarrod Harbrow
Tom Williams

I think the Dogs list is fairly solid too, but for some reason I have a feeling about Harbrow and Williams considering returning to QLD

Note: These are just my thoughts on what could happen. I realise some of these are outlandish, but they are just a starting point for some discussion

Quinten Lynch. Was dropped after 95 consecutive games and after kicking a couple of goals against Brisbane (in Brisbane) and has been replaced in the team by Ashley 'Hopeless' Hansen. Either he's been signed by Gold Coast or he's done Woosha's wife.

:thumbsu: top notch reporting TFE as well

:footy: Collingwood
Travis Cloke
Ben Reid
Cameron Wood

Recruiting Jolly means Wood will get few opportunities. Interesting to note Shane O'Bree was dropped by Collingwood. Maybe he could return home for one last hurrah to add some experience.

Just for the record Shane O'Bree is a Victorian

:footy: Essendon
Tom Bellchambers
Michael Hurley
David Myers

I wonder whether Hurley to umbrage to his inter-club suspension. Bellchambers has been used sparingly by Matty Knights, while Myers continues to play twos footy.

I disagree with Bellchambers and Hurley wanting to leave, Bellchambers is still developing and he'd realise that plus he's contracted for 2011. Hurley would've been punished at any club and he would realise that (he's not contracted at the end of the year though).
Myers might be annoyed at playing in the 2's but he has high expectations of himself and knows that his performances aren't good enough at the moment.

My list of Essendon players who'd want opportunities at another club would be.
Bachar Houli - Essendon have a lot of midfielders on their list now and Houli's going to struggle to be in the best ones. He wasn't picked a much last year even when fully fit.
Jason Laycock - Is going to have trouble taking Hille or Ryders spot in the the team.

with maybes as
Jarrod Atkinson - A depth player with a decent chance of being delisted at the end of the year.
Leroy Jetta - Wasn't given many opportunities last year, probably won't get many this year.
Jay Neagle - Contracted for another year but with Gumbleton and Hurley being the favourite key forwards on the list he might be wanting more opportunities. That would be a trade though, not a signing.

Here's a secondary list, of potentially disgruntled players, or players who may be moved on by clubs.

:footy: Port Adelaide
Travis Boak
Michael Pettigrew
Troy Chaplin

I don't see alot of the Power, but I'm fairly sure Pettigrew and Chaplin wax a spot in the side, so maybe it is time for one to consider their options. As for Boak, he is a gun and I think he will stay, but I wouldn't be surprised if the GC17 franchise put a big offer on the table.
You can have Pettigrew. Chaplin's in our top 5 players IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unlikely Milky Warren would leave North.
He actually had to leave Queensland under doctor's orders, as his skin was prone to blistering after a minute or two in the Northern sun.

Buddy Franklin....

i have a feeling he will be leaving the hawks, and if ablett goes north too then you have got the hottest afl ticket in the land - (my new second team)

Jack Riewoldt? lol, hey he might actually do much better in GC than he has been doing at Richmond (and who knows, Richmond might actually do fifty times better without the over-rated piece of c**p).

Jack Riewoldt? lol, hey he might actually do much better in GC than he has been doing at Richmond (and who knows, Richmond might actually do fifty times better without the over-rated piece of c**p).

Yeah they can have him as well, we may even throw in Tambling as a sweetner.:)

Luke McGuane to Gold Coast
its a definite, from a very very good source ;)

You have just been called on it.

Name the source, this is not a newspaper and if you are a journalist you needed to say so before now. Therefore any possible integrity you have on this site is requiring you to name your informant and its reliability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back