Mega Thread CasualChat 🍰 Cake Connoisseurs Thread 🍰 Vote in the Poll and tell Wosh they’re pretty to Receive your Cake Badge! 🍰 🍸

What is your favourite cake/dessert?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Came down with Thai belly overnight.

Hydralite and I have become best friends.
How many times have you been to SEA or any developing country? I came down with Bali Belly the first time I went overseas but I went there again a couple of years later, and then Thailand a couple of years ago and went through unscathed. They say you become desensitised to it after the first bout.

Last edited:
Dodgy cake?

Had gastro a couple of months ago, couldn't even keep hydralite down.

No cake, got told the water was purified.

It wasn't.
How many times have you been to SEA or any developing country? I came down with Bali Belly the first time I went overseas but I went there again a couple of years later, and then Thailand a couple of years ago and went through unscathed. I think I became desensitised to it.
1st time here.

I've been told that's the case.

I'm in Singapore now so hoping to get through tonight and onwards and upwards

I didn't get anything when I was in Vietnam. At the start of the trip I was being extra careful; you know, only bottled water for drinking, boiling water for brushing teeth later on, keeping mouth firmly sealed shut in the shower, no salads, that sort of thing.

But I got progressively more careless over the three weeks; I distinctly remember on one of the last days, I woke up in the middle of the night parched and went straight to the bathroom and cupped my hands under the vanity basin tap and just started gulping. I was half asleep so not really thinking, but then I remembered and felt a sinking feeling of dread...

Still didn't get sick!

Wifey wasn't so lucky. We're almost sure it was from a place serving Western-style food though, not the many street vendors selling Vietnamese fare that we bought from.

Been to Bali 3 times, Steve and I both got Bali belly the last time and it was horrendous because I was pregnant and couldnt take any of the medications to help and just had to ride it out! It happened the first 2 days and lasted 4 days, but we were there for 3 weeks so luckily still able to enjoy the rest of the holiday. VERY painful and very horrible!
Always careful where we ate and what we ate, no issues at all the first 2 times over there, or on any of the other Islands.

I didn't get anything when I was in Vietnam. At the start of the trip I was being extra careful; you know, only bottled water for drinking, boiling water for brushing teeth later on, keeping mouth firmly sealed shut in the shower, no salads, that sort of thing.

But I got progressively more careless over the three weeks; I distinctly remember on one of the last days, I woke up in the middle of the night parched and went straight to the bathroom and cupped my hands under the vanity basin tap and just started gulping. I was half asleep so not really thinking, but then I remembered and felt a sinking feeling of dread...

Still didn't get sick!

Wifey wasn't so lucky. We're almost sure it was from a place serving Western-style food though, not the many street vendors selling Vietnamese fare that we bought from.

I drank tap water the first night I was in Turkey after our tour group was warned not to drink it as it could make you sick, after a night on the booze I went to the basin in my hotel room and poured myself a glass of water to drink before I crashed out, wasn't until afterwards I remembered I shouldn't be doing that.

The water tasted pretty normal though and I never had any problems.

We were also warned not to get salad in kebabs and other stuff there as it may have been washed in their dodgy water but I just ignored that advice too and still lived to tell the tale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strawberry caramel cheesecake.

That was rich and not at all comparable to the salted cheesecake
I’d still take a nice tart lemon (no piss) with passionfruit topping anyday.

Back