Rumour Guess who's coming home?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would he leave the suns? I thought he wanted "the challenge"? :rolleyes:

Its been 5 years and no finals to me that's challenge failed, they dont seem to have improved and still rely too much on him, don't think he will leave but would be in the back of his mind especially if we can thump them this week, I personally don't want him, I want Dangerfield.

$1 million a year, at almost 31 years old, with a shot shoulder.

It's certainly way over what he's worth purely as a player.

I guess they still want him to sell the franchise. What a way to finish a stellar career. As a salesman.
That deal is almost unheard of given all the points you have made. Makes you wonder what the delay is with him resigning. If I were Ablett I wouldn't be able to find a pen fast enough.

Yeah, I'm sure he's not enjoying things up there at the moment, that's for sure.
No doubt they sold him the "shiny plan" to get him up there but if he really thought it would be: a tough first 2 years, making the 8 in year 3, top 4 in year 4, and flag in year 5.... Geez. Premierships are bloody hard to win. Geelong in 2008, Saints in 2009, Pies in 2011, Hawks in 2012, Swans in 2014.... During large parts of those seasons those teams were statistically and actually scary and "unbeatable" and no flag. How does Gold Coast look in year five compared to them?
And those teams knew how flags were won.

I'm sure Gaz is annoyed that his team look like a bunch of privileged kids who don't want to work hard.
I'm not sure he and Eade are going to click either. Eade said he and Gary were not close... after over half a year together.
But I can't see how he can justify walking out on a second team when they are at their lowest. He took the captaincy, the leadership, the ambassadorial role. He took the money. He's made his bed and now he should lie in it.

That deal is almost unheard of given all the points you have made. Makes you wonder what the delay is with him resigning. If I were Ablett I wouldn't be able to find a pen fast enough.

The delay in re-signing is about how they make the split between payments for playing, and payments for off-field work. The gross figure is, apparently, agreed.

The delay in re-signing is about how they make the split between payments for playing, and payments for off-field work. The gross figure is, apparently, agreed.
I read a couple of different articles on the AFL site today and apparently they're looking at 2-3 years at 3-4 mill, with GAJ trying to push the figure closer to the 4. That's part of the reason for the delay.
Little Mr Greedy is probably hoping to get 2 years @ $4 mill. :)

Edit- can't find where I read $4M but this article,
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ge...coast-on-horizon/story-fndv8hfz-1227305286322
along with many others, puts the GC offer at $3M over 3 years, says the Cats have approached Pickers, GAJ won't be coming back, the GFC won't be able to afford both GC and well as PD ... etc etc. Pretty much /thread....
If it wasn't for the GAJ 2010 saga, I think the thread would've been closed the day it opened ;)

Last edited:
I read the delay is how the moony gets paid not so much the totals for it.

IE - How much is match payments and game related vs how much is for marketing etc.

GO Catters

Gaz has form for "drawing negotiations out" I'll wait and see when he signs. But what I know for fact is that GC tabled a amazingly lucrative deal to him over a year ago to extend. He STILL hasn't signed

Well if Pickering comes out and says Gaz just wants to concentrate on his football and look at things at the end of the year, we are in business people!

Congratulations.

You've somehow managed to twist a thread about Gazza into an opportunity to snipe Scott yet again, AND push your tired old agenda about Chapman as well!

You've outdone yourself.

Now, if you'd posted all but the last 1-1/2 sentences you might've been taken seriously, but the twist of the knife at the end simply reveals your motivation.

Why would they pay Gaz big money to come back, when at the end of 2013, they wouldn't give Chapman whatever pittance he was hoping for and the assurance of a fair shot in the senior? Why would we even inquire about him? It's just another case of mixed intentions. Do we want to bring kids through and develop the next generation, or are we still holding out hopes for a flag shot? Why would we go after someone who abandoned the club, showing no loyalty, when we turfed out someone who bled for it?

Why would they pay Gaz big money to come back, when at the end of 2013, they wouldn't give Chapman whatever pittance he was hoping for and the assurance of a fair shot in the senior? Why would we even inquire about him? It's just another case of mixed intentions. Do we want to bring kids through and develop the next generation, or are we still holding out hopes for a flag shot? Why would we go after someone who abandoned the club, showing no loyalty, when we turfed out someone who bled for it?

No necessarily disagreeing with you BB, and a fair post.

Reasonable questions that can be debated, and no aspersions cast :thumbsu:

Yeah, I'm sure he's not enjoying things up there at the moment, that's for sure.
No doubt they sold him the "shiny plan" to get him up there but if he really thought it would be: a tough first 2 years, making the 8 in year 3, top 4 in year 4, and flag in year 5.... Geez. Premierships are bloody hard to win. Geelong in 2008, Saints in 2009, Pies in 2011, Hawks in 2012, Swans in 2014.... During large parts of those seasons those teams were statistically and actually scary and "unbeatable" and no flag. How does Gold Coast look in year five compared to them?
And those teams knew how flags were won.

I'm sure Gaz is annoyed that his team look like a bunch of privileged kids who don't want to work hard.
I'm not sure he and Eade are going to click either. Eade said he and Gary were not close... after over half a year together.
But I can't see how he can justify walking out on a second team when they are at their lowest. He took the captaincy, the leadership, the ambassadorial role. He took the money. He's made his bed and now he should lie in it.
Great post

BT (yeah, yeah) had just reported that GAJ's shoulder is in worse condition than first thought and could be out for up to 8 weeks...

If it doesn't improve, it wouldn't surprise me to see him retire early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I reckon. He should provably reassess his options post injury and come home to be with family ;)
Lol

Now now, don't be like that ;)
I do feel sorry for the poor bugger, though. The tackle that caused the initial injury would've got one of our blokes a couple of weeks for unduly rough play or something. Then he's copped a couple of extra weeks of hard riding, while the AFL gave St Kilda's Baker a few weeks for interfering with an injured player- so set the rules but then say it's ok, even though everyone knows his arm was NQR- though putting him out there in that situation was craziness if he wasn't going to be able to handle it.
Anyway, I just think the game will be the poorer if GAJ can't play to his exceptional standards.

Lol

Now now, don't be like that ;)
I do feel sorry for the poor bugger, though. The tackle that caused the initial injury would've got one of our blokes a couple of weeks for unduly rough play or something. Then he's copped a couple of extra weeks of hard riding, while the AFL gave St Kilda's Baker a few weeks for interfering with an injured player- so set the rules but then say it's ok, even though everyone knows his arm was NQR- though putting him out there in that situation was craziness if he wasn't going to be able to handle it.
Anyway, I just think the game will be the poorer if GAJ can't play to his exceptional standards.

Gees, I cant go that far. Sorry for him? So worst case he retires with a crook shoulder and a healthy bank account... a lot better than most footballers

Gees, I cant go that far. Sorry for him? So worst case he retires with a crook shoulder and a healthy bank account... a lot better than most footballers
I don't like what he's done to the GFC but I think his talent will be missed- particularly at the suns.
There are a few players that I can't stand and I just can't find anything nice to say about their game at all, no matter how good they are. Cannot wait for them to retire so I never have to hear about them again. Then there are a few players who've done things that I haven't liked- GAJ falls into this category- and, though I don't like what he's done (ie in leaving the GFC), I can still admire how he plays the game.

I don't like what he's done to the GFC but I think his talent will be missed- particularly at the suns.
There are a few players that I can't stand and I just can't find anything nice to say about their game at all, no matter how good they are. Cannot wait for them to retire so I never have to hear about them again. Then there are a few players who've done things that I haven't liked- GAJ falls into this category- and, though I don't like what he's done (ie in leaving the GFC), I can still admire how he plays the game.

I think for many of us here he'll forevermore be remembered as a flawed genius......just like his dad, albeit for different reasons.

Gaz Jnr, for a lot of us, will go down in history as a pure footballer, spoilt by greed, and loyal only to the dollar.

Shame.

I get that... begrudgingly I could watch him and admire the skill but the spark had gone from my enjoyment. I don't wish him bad but cant feel sorry for him either

More likely to go to demons for $1.5 million a year than come back to cats. He will play for the highest bidder, success wont be a priority.

I think for many of us here he'll forevermore be remembered as a flawed genius......just like his dad, albeit for different reasons.

Gaz Jnr, for a lot of us, will go down in history as a pure footballer, spoilt by greed, and loyal only to the dollar.

Shame.
Good point :)
It does tarnish him, doesn't it? It's like watching him through grease-covered spectacles :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back