Rumour Guess who's coming home?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
not lightly less. about 3.5 million less. And he has other family members that he actually has helped and continues to help financially. Im betting you'd jump ship for 3.5 million extra.

No. Money hasn't got that much of an attraction for me.

He made his decision based on pure dollars, good for him. But he missed out on at least one premiership, perhaps more.

And anyway, you make it sound like he chose 3.5 million over nothing.

i agree it doesnt. But honestly man. its been almost 5 years. And the vitriol and hate directed toward a family that have given far more to this club and in fact the community of Geelong than any of us will EVER give. Its disgraceful. And the biggest sin here i the people who so hypcritically slam him, yet if even you, who clearly has a great grasp of the importance of life - if even you were offered $700,000 a year for five years to do the same job but at a different place, i would bet london to a brick you'd take it. I would. We all would. And finally, if he chose to take a pay cut and come back, by round 5 all the flogs on here potting him would be "claiming and loving" him again.

I see where you're coming from, and don't necessarily flat out disagree.

There's no need for hatred or vitriol, and I for one hope that I've never expressed that.

I'm simply disappointed that - from the outside - it seemed that Gazza was way less than honest in his dealings with the club and his fans, and has given the impression that his pursuit of money may have unduly overridden his proper consideration of the more important things in life.

Yes, if I received a financially lucrative offer I would entertain it, no two ways about it. BUT.....my criteria would require that I satisfy a moral check-list re: family, friends, health, self respect etc.

No point being the richest man in the cemetary, or the loneliest millionaire.

By your own admission, his move to the GC, and the lucrative contract, has not brought him the happiness and satisfaction he sought.

not lightly less. about 3.5 million less. And he has other family members that he actually has helped and continues to help financially. Im betting you'd jump ship for 3.5 million extra.
I agree with this- he's been very supportive of his family throughout. I think he's probably taken the fast money and instant financial comfort than looked toward the future and seen how things would've been had he stayed at Geelong. I actually blame the AFL for forcing the decision- for giving a club so much money that it was able to steal GAJ away from us. However, the fact that he left the club has opened up opportunities for others and allowed us to keep several other players who might otherwise been squeezed out- so it probably was a win for the GFC in the end.

The people on here attacking his character mercilessly over his decision to double his money. You're pathetic. If YOU had someone offer you an extra $ 700,000 a year for 5 years to do the same job you're currently doing - I honestly don't think any of you would say no to it. In fact you'd take great pride telling anyone who'd listen that you're so good at what you do that you been head hunted and offered extra! Yet here you are - you bunch of filthy hypocrites- potting a man you've most likely never even had a conversation with. It's actually pathetic.

I think you do your opinion a disservice being so ardent. You are more right than wrong..... If someone earning 2G a week is offered 5G for the same job they would probably jump.

Motivation I guess is the key question. I maintain that he has watched and been affected by his fathers post VFL/AFL situation and is conscious of making the most of a short time in the game , and perhaps (my opinion) very cautious on what pain killers he allows. I find this admirable , most us try to learn from our elders.

Money? Personally I cant critique him too hard for doing this... I have worked for money the best part of my life..., I certainly have not got up and gone to work cause I loved it. Not having had the chance to earn the type of money GA as , I'd have to wonder though once his 5 years is up that the money he should have , his investments etc should all be secure....why he wouldn't just try to finish his career with less emphasis on money( he will still be very well rewarded) and more emphasis on playing where he wants or in a strong side.

Yet what we hear is a player thats holding out for another big contract. Id suspect even GC would have in the back of their mind that GA alone on such big dollars is not ideal. They need to add some FA's or recruits to spread the load.

Lets not kid ourselves, Joel Selwood and even Scott Pendlebury would have been offered very similar deals to go and and play for GWS upon their inception into the league. They decided to remain loyal and value other commodities over money and for that I respect them alot more than what I do GAJ. There are plenty of people in this world who have been offered more money to go and work or play footy elsewhere and turned it down simply because they value other things above it. Unfortunately GAJ just isn't one of those people.

I'll always be greatful to GAJ for the contribution that he made to the club before deciding to go and play for the Suns. But he won't be remembered as a Geelong person, he'll be remembered as a football person.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-19/gazs-life-sentence

GOLD Coast star midfielder Gary Ablett has agreed to terms on a new multi-million, three-year contract with the Suns, AFL.com.au columnist Damian Barrett says.

The new deal is reportedly worth about $3 million and will tie Ablett to the club until the end of 2018, ruling out any romantic return to his former team, Geelong.

Ablett will turn 34 during the 2018 season.

The two-time Brownlow medallist, who is in Geelong for the Suns' clash against the Cats on Sunday, reached an agreement with the club on Friday, Barrett said on Channel Nine.

He said the new contract would be announced within the next two days.

/thread

Interesting that it's dragged out for months and months.... the moment his shoulder flares up and seems to have gone backwards he puts pen to paper.

Pickers trying the squueze out every dollar and then taking it when the realise the offer may start going the other way

Interesting that it's dragged out for months and months.... the moment his shoulder flares up and seems to have gone backwards he puts pen to paper.

Pickers trying the squueze out every dollar and then taking it when the realise the offer may start going the other way
Hope it cost him a few hundred grand.

Bookmark this thread to start all over again in 2 years' time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know we love our old players but I think getting a 34 year old is a stretch even for us

The Ablett family set up a website in 2010 to offload all of their GFC merchandise. Gary had signed with th GCS back before the 2010 season even commenced. I think that what he did was a dog act. He can get have his $700k pa extra, I don't care. But deceiving loyal fans when he was already on his way out the door? Hmmmm....

The people on here attacking his character mercilessly over his decision to double his money. You're pathetic. If YOU had someone offer you an extra $ 700,000 a year for 5 years to do the same job you're currently doing - I honestly don't think any of you would say no to it. In fact you'd take great pride telling anyone who'd listen that you're so good at what you do that you been head hunted and offered extra! Yet here you are - you bunch of filthy hypocrites- potting a man you've most likely never even had a conversation with. It's actually pathetic.
But... but... I thought that he left "for the challenge"? Since when has money been the reason for which he left?

The Ablett family set up a website in 2010 to offload all of their GFC merchandise. Gary had signed with th GCS back before the 2010 season even commenced. I think that what he did was a dog act. He can get have his $700k pa extra, I don't care. But deceiving loyal fans when he was already on his way out the door? Hmmmm....

Yeah this is why so many Cats fans are upset, has nothing to do with going for the money.
He was alleged to have sounded out the GC for a deal within 3 months of winning the 2009 Flag.
THAT is the disappointing thing.
Good on him for chasing the coin, if I was offered double my current income I'd do it aswell (although I did also take a 70% pay CUT to move back down to Vic, so I've done both).

Yeah this is why so many Cats fans are upset, has nothing to do with going for the money.
He was alleged to have sounded out the GC for a deal within 3 months of winning the 2009 Flag.
Good on him for chasing the coin, if I was offered double my current income I'd do it aswell (although I did also take a 70% pay CUT to move back down to Vic, so I've done both).
It's also the bullshitting that annoys me (and I assume others)

Just come out and say it was an offer too good to refuse, you don't know how long your career will last so can't afford NOT to accept it etc etc... but the fact he knew he was going 12 months earlier and then made up that garbage story about realising while on holiday, wanting the challenge etc etc soured it for me..

Honesty and everyone probably would have accepted it and said yep fair enough

I agree, although let's make no mistake about it; AFL is NOT your regular job, nor are salaries. If someone offered me 80% extra pay leave a company I have no loyalty to in order to do the same job at another company, I wouldn't be able to sign quick enough.

60k pa gross would mean the difference between my two kids going to a moderately priced private school and a puboic one, paying my mortgage off in 15 years rather than 25, investing enough money into my wife's business which in turn would generate a lot more money in the long run.

What difference does $700k pa make for Gary? It's not my business to know, but clearly whatever it is it's more important to him than winning premierships. One should be of the mentality that you play footy and get paid for the privilege rather than you get payed to play footy because it's your day job.

Gary turned his back on a lot of money and a truck load more success for a truck load of money and little to no success. In doing so, he's damaged his legacy. Sure, he'll be remembered as one of the AFL greats, but he won't be rembered as a one club great. Maybe that doesn't bother him, but if it were me, I'd choose $1 million dollars and success including a perfect legacy and playing for the club I grew up barracking for over anything else GC could ever hope to offer.

But that's just me.

Nah! Junior will never come back to Geelong. Doubt he'll even come back to Victoria. Firmly ensconced in Queensland I believe. Must say I'd feel some satisfaction if he ends up with no more premiership medals. Money isn't everything Junior.

Nah! Junior will never come back to Geelong. Doubt he'll even come back to Victoria. Firmly ensconced in Queensland I believe. Must say I'd feel some satisfaction if he ends up with no more premiership medals. Money isn't everything Junior.
Finally we actually agree on something! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back