Guessing the 15 metre rule

Two frees in the third for goals, against Lloyd & Melican, that get let go down the other end against our forwards all the time, call that last decision justice.
The Lloyd one was just not there with the 'Cat supporting' ump just making it up & it stopped our momentum.
This time we benefited at game's end instead of the Cats who benefited against Brisbane at game's end.

Lets not mention Hayward's "mark" not being paid straight in front....

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Two frees in the third for goals, against Lloyd & Melican, that get let go down the other end against our forwards all the time, call that last decision justice.
The Lloyd one was just not there with the 'Cat supporting' ump just making it up & it stopped our momentum.
This time we benefited at game's end instead of the Cats who benefited against Brisbane at game's end.
Yeah, I'm not arguing the outcome of this game or other decisions. I'm discussing this particular rule that needs some tweaking. I can't see why they couldn't have overturned it on reevaluation given the umpire made the call shortly after being kicked.

Well Geelong has paid its debt to the karma gods now, it'll be Sydney's turn next

Yeah, I'm not arguing the outcome of this game or other decisions. I'm discussing this particular rule that needs some tweaking. I can't see why they couldn't have overturned it on reevaluation given the umpire made the call shortly after being kicked.

You planning to overturn every other decision too? Just because it's at the end doesn't make this decision any more critical.

Or Maclean’s that wasn’t a mark.

So decisions went both ways...almost like it is the same every single match....

How about you blame your putrid kicking or your horrendous game style? Forwards are paid to kick straight and your forward would have dead set missed from 5m.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Well Geelong has paid its debt to the karma gods now, it'll be Sydney's turn next
2016 GF?
The Karma Gods owe us big time for years. But yeah I know what you mean. You should have put us away after being 28 points up at Q time. I was out & checked the score half an hour later to see us right with you & couldn't believe it. You needed to bury us & I expected it too so I feel when it comes down to those dodgy decisions, one needs to reflect on what allowed us back in the game when you were so dominant.
Bloody close games between us drives me mad.

But I'm not arguing that point, the other people in this thread are. My point is directly related to this rule and this rule only.

I'm not fussed if they miss a few 15m kicks being called play on, if I had it my way I'd make it 20m anyway.

Then you still get the same problem.

I look at it this way. Was the kick reasonable?

What is "reasonable"...just what we don't want more grey areas for umpires. Leave it how it is. It is fine.

Romeoh1

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
So decisions went both ways...almost like it is the same every single match....

How about you blame your putrid kicking or your horrendous game style? Forwards are paid to kick straight and your forward would have dead set missed from 5m.
Lol. Yes - incorrect decisions happen every week. So just acknowledge, as the AFL has, that the 15 metres was an incorrect call and move on.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What is "reasonable"...just what we don't want more grey areas for umpires. Leave it how it is. It is fine.
Could we use technology to assist the umps in making a decision. This is way advanced and yes I know we're dealing with the AFL here when they can't even get decent goal line technology.

But what if umpires could have arm pad devices with real time data sent from a control panel about how far a ball has traveled, how far a player has traveled etc. Prob a bit of science fiction at this stage, but not impossible.

3CF6A7CE-624D-4170-B677-26B39234FB2D.jpeg

This image complicates the whole thing to me.

Firstly I see it as the umps got it wrong and we were lucky but plenty of other calls that had permutations

So it’s interpretation does the umpire pay it here where he marks it just outside the square or where he lands. Which is further towards the point post by the time the defenders and momentum move him in that direction.

So where did FOx Footy measure the mark from to take their 22 metre measure. If Cameron is paid the mark where it is paid has a lot to do with the possibility of him kicking.

Analysing these things always throws up differing opinions. The umps boss reviewed said they got it wrong which doesn’t award a team a win it just robs them off the opportunity to do so the same as all incorrect calls can result in a different

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
View attachment 1117945

Firstly I see it as the umps got it wrong and we were lucky but plenty of other calls that had permutations

So it’s interpretation does the umpire pay it here where he marks it just outside the square or where he lands. Which is further towards the point post by the time the defenders and momentum move him in that direction.

So where did FOx Footy measure the mark from to take their 22 metre measure. If Cameron is paid the mark where it is paid has a lot to do with the possibility of him kicking.

Analysing these things always throws up differing opinions. The umps boss reviewed said they got it wrong which doesn’t award a team a win it just robs them off the opportunity to do so the same as all incorrect calls can result in a different
Firstly, where does the player stand the mark? That's the distance. I'm not sure if that is explicitly written in the rules, but AFAIC, the distance is from the point of landing.

In any case, the angle is deceptive there. Cameron takes two clear steps prior to taking the mark. I'd estimate that distance to be about 2.5M. Even at that distance I think we're talking 19m. Using the latter it's 22 as suggested by FoxFooty

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
View attachment 1117945

It’s paid where he marks it. Not where he lands. That’s the rule.

even if fox incorrectly measured it from where he lands he didnt fly 5 plus metres through the air after he marked it. It’s still more than 15 metres.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
How is it possible for the umpire to be accurate on the 15m rule when there are no ground markings?
I wouldn't blame the umpires going on strike with the crap they have to put up with
They have to make subjective interpretations all throughout the game and also run 10 plus kilometres.
It's the hardest game to umpire in the world and they are underpaid.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How is it possible for the umpire to be accurate on the 15m rule when there are no ground markings?
I wouldn't blame the umpires going on strike with the crap they have to put up with
They have to make subjective interpretations all throughout the game and also run 10 plus kilometres.
Don't disagree. This is the AFL's problem. They're half arsed about everything. They continue to use 2nd rate technology in an attempt to determine if a ball was touched. Goal line technology is poor. They're never fully invested in anything.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
They don’t have to be accurate. It’s marked as 15m but really is officiated as only less then 12metres. This gives the umps a rough 3 metre error margin. They rarely call anything over 12 metres play on. To call a kick over 20 metres, especially one with major hang time in the air was just utterly ridiculous it’s not funny. You dont need a measuring tape to figure it out.

Back