Guessing the 15 metre rule

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
They don’t have to be accurate. It’s marked as 15m but really is officiated as only less then 12metres. This gives the umps a rough 3 metre error margin. They rarely call anything over 12 metres play on. To call a kick over 20 metres, especially one with major hang time in the air was just utterly ridiculous it’s not funny. You dont need a measuring tape to figure it out.
The ump is mentally and physically fatigued and on a bad angle.
He's doing the best he can .
Cameron was no certainty to kick it.
The Brisbane Geelong non decision was worse imo.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They don’t have to be accurate. It’s marked as 15m but really is officiated as only less then 12metres. This gives the umps a rough 3 metre error margin. They rarely call anything over 12 metres play on. To call a kick over 20 metres, especially one with major hang time in the air was just utterly ridiculous it’s not funny. You dont need a measuring tape to figure it out.
Yes, and listen to when the call was made. Way too early

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The ump is mentally and physically fatigued and on a bad angle.
He's doing the best he can .
Cameron was no certainty to kick it.
The Brisbane Geelong non decision was worse imo.

Lolololol a bad angle? You don’t need a good angle to see that.
All the excuses in the world afforded to the umpire who went against us but no excuses for the one that went our way? That umpire wasn’t also fatigued in the Brisbane game?
C’mon mate, seriously.
They never not call 20m plus kicks play on but they get HTB wrong often.

Firstly, where does the player stand the mark? That's the distance. I'm not sure if that is explicitly written in the rules, but AFAIC, the distance is from the point of landing.

In any case, the angle is deceptive there. Cameron takes two clear steps prior to taking the mark. I'd estimate that distance to be about 2.5M. Even at that distance I think we're talking 19m. Using the latter it's 22 as suggested by FoxFooty

All you’ve done is provide your interpretation and estimations which is my point and the exact thing an umpire has to try and do. Like I said I believe the umps got it wrong but to quote fox footy as some kind of authority on their conclusions is just agreeing to something to suit an argument.

It’s paid where he marks it. Not where he lands. That’s the rule.

even if fox incorrectly measured it from where he lands he didnt fly 5 plus metres through the air after he marked it. It’s still more than 15 metres.

He did finish five plus meters past the point of marking it with the defenders pushing him further out. I don’t know where fox footy decided to measure from and don’t know where the umpire would have decided the mark was completed as that isn’t always clear especially given real time movement and not basing on still images.

Just don’t think quoting fox footy as an authority on it is accurate.

It was obviously more than 15 felt that way watching live but the camera zoom made it all a bit hard to judge also.

goal post width is 6.4m so it's about 2 but we will call it 13m to be generous, side b is 7m at best but prob less

that means the other side is 14.76m correct call play on
LOL

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
He is a left footer. Would of been fine. Plus there was another 15 seconds on the clock anyway.

Also doesnt explain the non holding the vall decision 20 m out from goal directly in front. The ump was in the motion of calling it but got stage fright when the bell went.
There was only 6 seconds on the clock if you watch the replay. Cameron going back would have taken all that time easily. The siren going would have meant he couldn't run around or even take one step off the mark. He would have been on an impossible angle. There's absolutely no certainty he would have been able to kick that goal and in fact he would have been more likely to miss. Unfortunately we'll never know.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
There was only 6 seconds on the clock if you watch the replay. Cameron going back would have taken all that time easily. The siren going would have meant he couldn't run around or even take one step off the mark. He would have been on an impossible angle. There's absolutely no certainty he would have been able to kick that goal and in fact he would have been more likely to miss. Unfortunately we'll never know.
How big an arc do you think he has. 6 seconds was plenty. Hell less then 2 was enough. time Off would of been called straight away and only brought back on as he started to move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
How big an arc do you think he has. 6 seconds was plenty. Hell less then 2 was enough. time Off would of been called straight away and only brought back on as he started to move.
My point is usually no one knows the exact time left. Players may want to soak up the time to make sure their kick is close to the last. Also, time off would be called earlier than what you are indicating as the shot clock is in operation as they are preparing to kick. In the end, we just wouldn't know the outcome as all this is only a hypothetical discussion. My point being it was not a lay down misere goal and subsequent victory.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My point is usually no one knows the exact time left. Players may want to soak up the time to make sure their kick is close to the last. Also, time off would be called earlier than what you are indicating as the shot clock is in operation as they are preparing to kick. In the end, we just wouldn't know the outcome as all this is only a hypothetical discussion. My point being it was not a lay down misere goal and subsequent victory.
He would have know at the very least that they had 1minute, I'd say more likely 30 seconds. My guess is that given Cameron is a very smart player he would have taken his chances and immediately played on knowing if he didn't the extra time after the siren may not help.

I'm interested to see if the umpires make these calls a little later after this incident.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Umps are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Wait for the ball to be marked before it's no 15 and you're putting the guy marking it under extreme pressure. Plus if it goes 13 but they pay the mark you're risking a 50m penalty.

If they are clear the kick won't go 15 it's best for everyone that they call it so play keeps moving.

In this case the ball bounced out further than the ump probably thought, then seemed to go quite up in the air. The ump is probably thinking it's going to land in the goal square which wouldn't have been 15. It floats, and Cameron marks it - with first contact a lot closer than fox footy's graphic by the way - and has likely gone about 18.

If we're going to have rules that are really difficult judgment calls then we're going to have mistakes.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
It was an absolute howler of a decision, the umpire panicked under the pressure and made a horrific mistake, the ball travelled over 20 metres and the call was "not 15" midway through the air...it's not the reason Geelong lost, but the umpire just got his wires crossed with that one....

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The biggest load of sh*t ever written. No umpire was ever going to pay that.

And Geelong kicked at like 45% accuracy, and was on the impossible angle forbidden from playing on. 0% chance thats a goal.
He was not forbidden from playing on. He had 6 seconds. He only needed less then 2.

and it was the left footed Cameron that would of been shooting, not some weird average conglomeration of Geelong players.

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
He was not forbidden from playing on. He had 6 seconds. He only needed less then 2.

and it was the left footed Cameron that would of been shooting, not some weird average conglomeration of Geelong players.
Come off it. Watch the replay. Papley was right on him and wouldn't let him play on immediately. It would then depend on when the umpire blew time off and on again on how many further seconds where eaten up and how long Cameron would take to line up. It is highly likely that 6 seconds would have elapsed in that time. Ultimately, we will never know.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Come off it. Watch the replay. Papley was right on him and wouldn't let him play on immediately. It would then depend on when the umpire blew time off and on again on how many further seconds where eaten up and how long Cameron would take to line up. It is highly likely that 6 seconds would have elapsed in that time. Ultimately, we will never know.
Its not about playing on immediately. at that stage of the game as long as Cameron puts the ball down as soon as he marks then time off is called. If he is going to snap then Cameron doesn’t walk in wasting time. He starts exactly from where he wants to run off his line. Time on only gets blown from that point. He has 6 seconds to complete the snap. He barely needs 1 second.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back