Guinness World Record : Loudest roar at a sports stadium , Richmond v GWS ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood 4 eternity

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
With the Richmond v GWS now completely Sold Out , the potential is there for it to be a new world record for the loudest roar at a sports stadium , with the majority of the fans supporting Richmond

The loudest crowd roar at a sports stadium is 142.2 dbA and was achieved by fans of the Kansas City Chiefs (USA), at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri, USA, on 29 September 2014.

The roar was recorded with 8 seconds remaining in the first quarter. The Chiefs defeated the New England Patriots 41-14.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/loudest-crowd-roar-at-a-sports-stadium

I remember after the Tigers beat Geelong a player was being interviewed with the microphone right up against his lips, but when the Tiger fans yelled out "yellow and black!" as part of their team song I couldn't even hear what the player was saying. IMO Giants will need to get some conditioning in for a noisy game or keep the crowd quiet by kicking goals.

The MCG isnt built as well as those stadiums for sound. Seattle Seahawks stadium for example, is considered one of the loudest in the world, with it being built in a way that amplifies and directs the sound. I don't think the MCG was built with acoustics in mind.

Ive heard a few people recently quote the 2002 GF when Rocca seemingly kicked that goal as one of the loudest roars they had heard in football.

Is this the one

I used to be one of those people who listened to Rex Hunt while watching the coverage on TV and Rex Hunt, after this game was going absolute ape droppings, nice goal though.

Crowds can be infectious, sometimes you are just like a puppet on a string, I went to see ESS COLL Anzac Day when COLL kicked a goal to win the match right at the end and I was three feet in the air fist pumping, but if you ask me to jump 12 cm off the ground and I will struggle.

Don't think it is possible

Not sure people understand how loud 142 decibels or an NFL game is
110 is 'normal' pain threshold. 150 is eardrum rupturing from excessive vibration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The MCG isnt built as well as those stadiums for sound. Seattle Seahawks stadium for example, is considered one of the loudest in the world, with it being built in a way that amplifies and directs the sound. I don't think the MCG was built with acoustics in mind.

the AFL plays crowd noise through the speakers at the ground to amplify the sound

I remember in 2014 (first year of AFL full-time at Adelaide Oval) when Port were getting plaudits for the size and passion of their crowds, they had some official measurement of noise which would come up on the big screens. During breaks and certain times of the game they would encourage the crowd to try and break the world record. It was just as cringey as it sounds and fortunately we never saw that particular gimmick again.

Also during the same year I attended a Crows home showdown and they would play artificial crowd noise through the PA, just as the ball was bounced after a crows goal, that was quite loud but also I guess would be illegal if the fake noise was of record proportions.

Footnote: we didn’t beat the record :-(

loudest i've been at was the end of the 2013 prelim, nobody in the stadium heard the siren, players didnt even know the game was done!

I remember a Hawthorn supporter throwing away their beanie or scarf onto the field (if I remember correctly) at Hawthorn's performance earlier in the game, I wonder whether they stayed until the end?

I remember in 2014 (first year of AFL full-time at Adelaide Oval) when Port were getting plaudits for the size and passion of their crowds, they had some official measurement of noise which would come up on the big screens. During breaks and certain times of the game they would encourage the crowd to try and break the world record. It was just as cringey as it sounds and fortunately we never saw that particular gimmick again.

Richmond fans will shudder when I mention the 'Roar Meter'.

Considering some football stadiums in the US have higher capacities than the MCG, with some even designed to amplify sound, I feel its a pretty useless pursuit. Would just take one team to decide to break the record, and it would be broken.
I think the G with it's classic Ampitheatre structure would probably be a good collector of noise. It's not the biggest stadium in the world but it's top tier.
Where you measure is the rub. You might feel more a part of the action lower down. It's a matter of physics that I can often hear the players from the top at Spotless but you cant from the lower seats. I pnly hear crowd noise around me though.
Only way to measure it meaningfully would be the middle of the ground I think.I doubt that's ever been done.
Otherwise you could win by paying a person to scream next to the mike.

I think the old MCG (pre 1990) and Waverley had much louder crowd acoustics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back