guitar amplification for home use

Remove this Banner Ad

tommyTitch

Senior List
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Howdy all.
Blew my 12 year old amp up and looking for a replacement combo. Was a Marshall 20 watt.

Just looking at the technology out, it seems everything is basically an inbuilt pedal board inside an amp. So you don't really get the traditional brand sound due to all the different amp presets you can choose from.

What's the best of these? Was looking at the boss katana 50 or the Vox 40. Any recommendations?

Howdy all.
Blew my 12 year old amp up and looking for a replacement combo. Was a Marshall 20 watt.

Just looking at the technology out, it seems everything is basically an inbuilt pedal board inside an amp. So you don't really get the traditional brand sound due to all the different amp presets you can choose from.

What's the best of these? Was looking at the boss katana 50 or the Vox 40. Any recommendations?

Still looking?

Just for home use? I use a Fender Blues Jnr at home and it goes great - takes pedals really well. Even at 15W it can still get pretty loud so I use an attenuator but I generally don't plug in much at home so it's not an issue.

I've heard good things about those Boss Katana amps but can't say that I've heard/or played one personally. I think they might have a headphone jack though, so that's a bonus if noise is an issue/late at night.

There's also heaps of options to generate all of your sound through a desktop pc/mac or a laptop. But it can get to be a bit of a case of how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go.

EDIT - Just looked, the Katana 50 does have a headphone jack and it's like $370 new. Good reviews too. Bargain.

If you're just wanting to plug in at home without all of the stress of chasing after and getting a decent sound, I reckon you probably can't go wrong with one of those Katana amps. Good luck.

What pedals you run? Just a simple setup?

Pretty much, yeah. I have heaps of pedals but find I don't use them most of the time(impulse buys after watching too many gear reviews on YouTube:D). Fan of the more slightly over driven, cleaner sounds, mostly.

Just some overdrive, delay, a bit of reverb and then fuzz if wanting a bit more crunch - actually love fuzz pedals which is a bit at odds with my saying prefer clean but yeah, fan of the dirty, filthy tones too. Depends on mood I suppose lol.

Did you end up buying a replacement amp? What did you go with?

There are lots of the katana's for sale 2nd hand....that probably tells you something. What style do you play most and what sound are you after?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back