Guitar Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Green w/ Fleetwood Mac in studio, raw, thank god none of the strings the official release had. Song actually starts a minute in.

Philip Sayce

Frusciante

Jeez, I love the Fleetwood song. Always have.
First time I’ve heard it without the strings.
Acually think it needs more fills with the guitar, with the strings missing.
Such pure guitar. The man had beautiful feel.
Sad that he burnt out so early.

Jeez, I love the Fleetwood song. Always have.
First time I’ve heard it without the strings.
Acually think it needs more fills with the guitar, with the strings missing.
Such pure guitar. The man had beautiful feel.
Sad that he burnt out so early.
I agree. It's almost as if they hadn't really finished it yet and their producer/manager/whoever just took it and thick coated it with strings to get it out.

first time hearing him for me. I love the sound.
the last song you posted is :fire:

He's bloody awesome! get a hold of that album that song is from Timber & Steel while your at it check out the album Tall Stories its a little louder with more kick than his usual style but still awesome non the less! :thumbsu:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lou Reed.
I bet the mere suggestion is outlandish. But for pointed, prickly, and sometimes rythmic, guitar playing using minimal chords, he's bloody great. Check out his 2 albums New York and Songs for Drella. The guitar work is wonderful, perfect for the songs. These 2 may be perfect if quite different, albums.

This from S4D, with J Cale providing vocals and sharp piano notes. Magnificent!

Lou Reed.
I bet the mere suggestion is outlandish. But for pointed, prickly, and sometimes rythmic, guitar playing using minimal chords, he's bloody great. Check out his 2 albums New York and Songs for Drella. The guitar work is wonderful, perfect for the songs. These 2 may be perfect if quite different, albums.

This from S4D, with J Cale providing vocals and sharp piano notes. Magnificent!

Lou Reed was a ******* great guitarist 👍

Eric Johnson was at his best on Cliffs of Dover, but I'm not really into instrumentals, so I've gone with the next-best thing:

His vocals are a bit airy and he has limited range (you can hear him straining at points), but he's generally tuneful and doesn't draw attention away from the song itself, expecially the schorching solo at the end. Basically, Eric's voice is more of an instrument serving his guitar, which it does a decent job of.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience with the evh dtuna? I bought a guitar with one recently and I'll be stuffed if I can get it to stay in tune. Actually considering removing it. Think I'd just be happy with a regular Floyd rose that stays in tune. Don't really play a lot in drop d anyway but just thought it would be interesting to try out.

Indeed. I've been listening more of late for some reason. Loudly played Blue Mask last night, whoa!!
Robert Quine was also pretty special on The Blue Mask. I saw both of them live together in Melbourne when Lou toured back in the day.

My favourite solo of Lou’s (and one of my very favourite electric guitar solos of all-time) is the one from The Velvet Underground’s What Goes On. Beautiful stuff.

Last edited:
How old is that? Lowell’s been gone for a long time. God rest his soul. Love me some Little Feat!:hearteyes:
Pre Little Feat, appearing on F Troop.

Does anyone have any experience with the evh dtuna? I bought a guitar with one recently and I'll be stuffed if I can get it to stay in tune. Actually considering removing it. Think I'd just be happy with a regular Floyd rose that stays in tune. Don't really play a lot in drop d anyway but just thought it would be interesting to try out.

I have an EVH Wolfgang Special which has the D-Tuna and I think it does work well enough but is ultimately a bit gimmicky. There is a specific tuning sequence you need to follow to make it work properly though so perhaps you're tuning the wrong way from the start. Haven't actually played my EVH for a while but IIRC you need to tune the (low) E to D (with the D-Tuna in the dropped-D position) then once that is in tune tighten the locking nut, put the D-Tuna in the E position and use the fine tuners on the trem to get the E in tune...

...then forget all of that and just get a guitar witha fixed bridge.;)

I have an EVH Wolfgang Special which has the D-Tuna and I think it does work well enough but is ultimately a bit gimmicky. There is a specific tuning sequence you need to follow to make it work properly though so perhaps you're tuning the wrong way from the start. Haven't actually played my EVH for a while but IIRC you need to tune the (low) E to D (with the D-Tuna in the dropped-D position) then once that is in tune tighten the locking nut, put the D-Tuna in the E position and use the fine tuners on the trem to get the E in tune...

...then forget all of that and just get a guitar witha fixed bridge.;)
Did lol at the last bit. Yeah cheers for that. I watched a few you tubes and read a few forums and everything seemed to say you're meant to wind the trem tuner all the way out and then just use the fine tuner for the E once you've locked down the D. I'm thinking, so every time I need to tune the E I have to grab a teeny tiny allen key? wtf? Then yesterday I gave it a try but after it was all locked down and fine tuned and inevitably slipped I used the trem tuner to adjust and seems more stable now. It's my only guitar with a killswitch though and I am finding that surprisingly fun.

Incidentally it was funny when I first brought it home from the store and was trying to tune it up. The guides are like, now adjust the fine tuner grub screw.. and I'm like what grub screw? It was missing.. had to go back to the store. Luckily they saw the sense in taking one of another they had rather than making me wait for a re-ordered one.