Guitar Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Why stick to lead guitar when Jaco Pastorious, was and sill is the greatest bass guitar player of all time, He is the Hendrix of the bass, because he took the instrument to areas that no one else had envisaged.
Jaco Pastorious revolutionised the bass guitar. His work with Weather Report and later Joni Mitchell showed that there was another dimension to how the bass could be played and how it could sound.
He was and still is, one of the giants of modern music. Just ask any bass player about Jaco.
And all this with a fretless bass. To get his sound he pulled out all the frets and puttied them up, which lead to a completely new sound.
Will we ever hear a lead guitarist play without frets? Is anyone good enough?

Teen Town

Cannon ball

Oveture - Cotton Avenue

Donna Lee

Last edited:

Frank Hannon from Tesla on 'Love Song' This is genius at work! Going from acoustic to electric mid song too!

From the album 'Five Man Acoustical Jam'. One of my prized possessions.

Yeah Hannon/Skeoch clearly learnt well from Thin Lizzy - Hannon's cleaner, more technical style complements Skeoch's messier style very well. Clearly a skilled, tasteful, melodic guitarist. Personally, I think the song Cumin' Atcha Live epitomises how well they worked together.

I've decided to introduce another underappreciated guitarist from the hair metal staple - George Lynch, who combines blistering chops and aggressive riffs with an almost liquid tone. A few of Lynch's highlights:

Why stick to lead guitar when Jaco Pastorious, was and sill is the greatest bass guitar player of all time, He is the Hendrix of the bass, because he took the instrument to areas that no one else had envisaged.
Jaco Pastorious revolutionised the bass guitar. His work with Weather Report and later Joni Mitchell showed that there was another dimension to how the bass could be played and how it could sound.
He was and still is, one of the giants of modern music. Just ask any bass player about Jaco.
And all this with a fretless bass. To get his sound he pulled out all the frets and puttied them up, which lead to a completely new sound.

Teen Town

Cannon ball

Oveture - Cotton Avenue

Donna Lee

Awesome post mate,I love Jaco and Weather Report.

As a drummer ,I appreciate his drumming as well on the track Teen Town,what a gifted musician with a tragic life,plenty of us still love you down here.

Incredible guitarist John Goodsall from the incredible band Brand X which also featured Phil Collins on drums,Robert Lumley on keyboards and another supremely gifted bassist who made his bass talk at times,Percy Jones.

Awesome post mate,I love Jaco and Weather Report.

As a drummer ,I appreciate his drumming as well on the track Teen Town,what a gifted musician with a tragic life,plenty of us still love you down here.
I saw Jaco play with Weather Report in Melbourne 1978 and London 1979.
Fantastic concerts! Jaco was amazing. Zawinul & Shorter were stunningly
great musicans.

Actually Jaco's predecessor in Weather Report was Alphonso Johnson, who
was brilliant. When Alphonso saw Jaco at a recording session he said "Oh oh,
I'm gone". Only Jaco had the talent to replace him. I loved Alphonso Johnson's
playing.

I saw Jaco play with Weather Report in Melbourne 1978 and London 1979.
Fantastic concerts! Jaco was amazing. Zawinul & Shorter were stunningly
great musicans.

Actually Jaco's predecessor in Weather Report was Alphonso Johnson, who
was brilliant. When Alphonso saw Jaco at a recording session he said "Oh oh,
I'm gone". Only Jaco had the talent to replace him. I loved Alphonso Johnson's
playing.
I saw Weather Report in Melbourne at the Palais Theatre too. Great night.
The Blackmarket album is where Jaco took over from Alphonso. On the album back then the musicians weren't identified for each song I couldn't tell which tracks Alphonso and Jaco played on back then.
The book Jaco: The Extraordinary and Tragic Life of Jaco Pastorious by Bill Milkowski is a great read if you haven't read it yet. Over the years I have collected 57 albums that he plays on.

Bass. Larry Graham. Invented slap/pop.

Incredible groove. Legend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giggler99 Following on from my observations that Tesla's dual-guitar attack of Hannon/Skeoch was clearly inspired by Thin Lizzy, I've decided to collate a compilation of my favourite guitar solos by each of their guitarists.

Very good band in their mid-70's pomp. Should have been bigger than they were.

Eric Bell:

(Honourable mention to Whisky in the Jar)

Brian Robertson:

(Honourable mention to Wild One, Cowboy Song and Emerald)

Scott Gorham:

(Honourable mention to Dedication)

Gary Moore:

(Honourable mention to Black Rose)

Snowy White:

(Honourable mention to Killer on the Loose)

John Sykes:

(Honourable mention to The Sun Goes Down)

giggler99 Following on from my observations that Tesla's dual-guitar attack of Hannon/Skeoch was clearly inspired by Thin Lizzy, I've decided to collate a compilation of my favourite guitar solos by each of their guitarists.

Very good band in their mid-70's pomp. Should have been bigger than they were.

Eric Bell:

(Honourable mention to Whisky in the Jar)

Brian Robertson:

(Honourable mention to Wild One, Cowboy Song and Emerald)

Scott Gorham:

(Honourable mention to Dedication)

Gary Moore:

(Honourable mention to Black Rose)

Snowy White:

(Honourable mention to Killer on the Loose)

John Sykes:

(Honourable mention to The Sun Goes Down)

Thanks Some great riffs mate!
I actually have the Thin Lizzy 'Live and Dangerous' album, I haven't listen to it in a while but I will play it and crank it up on my way to work tonight :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back