Guitars

Remove this Banner Ad

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
The fan fret guitars are very interesting. I'd like to have one for something different, but ultimately I like to have a floating bridge and fan fret guitars with floating bridges and very hard to come by. I think there's only one company (in the US) that even makes a floating bridge with such a large stagger in the saddles. Probably costs an arm and a leg.

Ibanez is making Prestige fan fret guitars now, but with fixed bridge. I might go check one out over the summer break.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I had a look at an Ibanez multiscale at my local a little while ago and wasn't that impressed. Looks like a rushed line to get into the multi market. Probaly just nitpicking but looked cheap how they didn't even remove the part behind the nut on the zero fret, just looks like a nut glued diagonally across a fret. Also using EMGs as an easy way out so they didn't have to design new offset slanted humbuckers, they only had to route standard EMGs holes on angles.

Guitar Factory up in Paramatta seem to regularly get in Ormsby Hype and SX GTRs which are probably among the best multi scales you can get right now.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2016
Australia's Most Haunted Town
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Adelaide Giants
My mate has an Ormsby hype already with a SX and a custom on the way. Quality axes, mate also swears by multi scale now. Precise about the intonation, you can set these up perfectly though honestly intonation out by 5% on one string over a couple of frets has never bothered me. I bought one of the new Schecter KM-7s this year with the Ernie Ball compensated nut which solves any intonation issues on that guitar.

Ormsby are doing production runs out of Sth Korea now (same factory as Schecter's and I think LTD) but if you want to get a custom or get on a run just be prepared to wait as the demand for Ormsby now is huge. Unless you are a YouTube celebrity though then you go front of the queue. My mate has been waiting over two years for his custom and another that was on a run.
I have heard it's a long wait. Probably a good thing for me to allay the temptation of spending money I don't have!

I reckon if I was to put some good coin into another guitar it would be a custom Ormsby. Something different and the only guitars that have captured my imagination for a long time.

Maybe.....one day......

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Had a NGD last weekend. Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid C-1 FR. Ordered this a couple months ago when I had bad GAS and after a while I was worried I wouldn't appreciate it when I arrived but I'm actually pretty happy with it. Schecter's upper range production line stuff continues to impress.

The GAS continued though when I went into the shop to pick it up. I'm a regular so normally stick around and chat with a couple of the guys for a while and I got seduced by the Bare Knuckle pickups they just started stocking. Walked out with a set of BKP Aftermaths that I put in a basswood Ibanez and they really brought it back to life. It was a very expensive day.

IMG_1538.JPG

Last edited:
May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Im running with a Yamaha Pacifica which i have had for 6 years and a 2011 60th Anniversary US Tele ive had for 4 years.

How does your 60th anniversary Tele sound? Have you done anything to it? I have one (blackguard blonde) and don't love the sound. I have a 50th as well with vintage pickups and that sounds awesome.

Pulled it out from under the bed this afternoon after a few months in the wilderness and it was (almost) in perfect tune. Gotta love Tele's.

Bennett.

Your training, Matrix
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2018 Essendon Player Sponsor 2017 Essendon Player Sponsor 2016 Essendon Player Sponsor 2014 Essendon Player Sponsor 2015
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Maple Leafs, Blue Jays
I know all about overpriced guitars, but damn if I don't want a custom shop Strat!

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
How does your 60th anniversary Tele sound? Have you done anything to it? I have one (blackguard blonde) and don't love the sound. I have a 50th as well with vintage pickups and that sounds awesome.

Pulled it out from under the bed this afternoon after a few months in the wilderness and it was (almost) in perfect tune. Gotta love Tele's.
A workhorse of a guitar. Na mate haven't changed anything in regards to hardware, still has the standard.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Maton 1.png
Maton2.jpg
My two guitars. Use the top one, SRS70 as a gig guitar (I'm not in the category of the other posters on here clearly judging by everyone else's guitars!).
Bottom one, EBG808 was my old gig guitar but has a decent sized crack from a broken brace that I haven't got around to getting fixed yet. I use it for teaching and just mucking around etc.

Simply haven't had the budget to buy an electric - I'd love an SG or a Tele or something like that but to buy one, the equipment to go with it, and then not use it for gigs - I play solo and in an acoustic duo - it would get me divorced.

I'm decent enough but very much a homespun guitarist, it's only now that I've started teaching a bit myself for some extra cash that I've actually starting to do online lessons myself to improve technically.

Has anyone tried/played one of these Australian made Perry Ormsby multi-scale guitars.

Interested to see any difference in sound with the multi-length strings and fanned frets which supposedly gives a more precise intonation and more natural playing feel as the frets "lean" in the natural direction that your hand wants to.

There are some Youtube vids but no-one seems to be doing them any justice!

They look beautifully made.

View attachment 319030
I did Perry's guitar building course a few years ago and tried a multi scale he had lying around in the workshop. You'd think it'd be uncomfortable or difficult to play to look at it but really it suits the natural position your hand wants to be in and if anything is more comfortable than a regular neck.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I did Perry's guitar building course a few years ago and tried a multi scale he had lying around in the workshop. You'd think it'd be uncomfortable or difficult to play to look at it but really it suits the natural position your hand wants to be in and if anything is more comfortable than a regular neck.

Keep hearing the same from a mate with a couple Ormsbys. Unfortunately being a lefty I can’t try myself and I can’t be stuffed dropping the cash on one in the case I don’t like it.

Bennett.

Your training, Matrix
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2018 Essendon Player Sponsor 2017 Essendon Player Sponsor 2016 Essendon Player Sponsor 2014 Essendon Player Sponsor 2015
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Maple Leafs, Blue Jays

Pity Perry is such a tosser

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bennett.

Your training, Matrix
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Maple Leafs, Blue Jays
He seems ok if you are a YouTube celebrity. But if you are just some mug then unfortunately you’re going to have to wait about 4 years for your axe. All those down payments and progress payments are interest free loans so he can buy new cars and go to NAMM every year.

Also treat you as a normie, as something that came in on the bottom of his shoe

Pity Perry is such a tosser
I spent a week with him building my guitar and I didn't find that at all. I thought he was quite amazing and a really generous and genuine person. Supremely talented too. He struck me as one of those rare people that can achieve anything they want because they have this unshakable belief in themselves and their abilities. I was actually in awe of him to be honest.

I'm not a youtube celebrity either.

Keep hearing the same from a mate with a couple Ormsbys. Unfortunately being a lefty I can’t try myself and I can’t be stuffed dropping the cash on one in the case I don’t like it.
You'd like it. Trust me. :D

Bennett.

Your training, Matrix
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Maple Leafs, Blue Jays
I spent a week with him building my guitar and I didn't find that at all. I thought he was quite amazing and a really generous and genuine person. Supremely talented too. He struck me as one of those rare people that can achieve anything they want because they have this unshakable belief in themselves and their abilities. I was actually in awe of him to be honest.

I'm not a youtube celebrity either.

I’m glad your experience with him was good. Definitely got the opposite impression the few times I’ve spoken with him. Cynicism says maybe it’s because I wasn’t paying him!

I’m glad your experience with him was good. Definitely got the opposite impression the few times I’ve spoken with him. Cynicism says maybe it’s because I wasn’t paying him!
Well I actually got in touch with him in the first place because you recommended him to me if you recall.:) I needed someone to setup a couple of guitars properly and I asked you if you knew of anybody. I'd never heard of him until then. I called him and ended up talking to him on the phone for about an hour about guitars in general and this was after he'd told me he doesn't do that kind of thing anymore and had referred me to someone else. I hadn't given him a cent at that stage but by the time I got off the phone I was determined to get on that guitar building course and it was one of the best things I've ever done even though I didn't really learn jack s**t (I ended up with a cool guitar though).

Bennett.

Your training, Matrix
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Maple Leafs, Blue Jays
Oh yeah no doubt he’s good and knows his stuff.. maybe I’ve caught him on the odd bad day or something. At least you’ve built one too. Still one dream of mine I’m yet to fulfill.

twotooto

late bloomer
Sep 26, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I have a Fender Custom Shop Tele which is awesome - beautiful creamy vintage white body(well, supposed be VW but looks more vanilla/custardy), maple fret board(usually prefer rosewood) and this sweet, sweet, chunky neck.

Also a couple of vintage Japanese Strats(both from '82) and a Tokai Les Paul. People obsess over US made but I find Japanese guitars to be on par, if not better in some cases and a lot cheaper(harder to sell though).

For an acoustic, I use a Maton ECW80C. Cost me a bit but it was worth every cent. My dream acoustic would have to be a Gibson J45, bit out of my price range though.

For the Perth people looking for a good repair, mod, set-up guy, I can recommend a guy called Trevor Folley. Extremely good at his job and won't charge you the earth. Only draw back is he's in whoop whoop - Darlington.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back