Gun control in America

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahh, gun toters. Sad and pathetic bunch. I find it especially funny they're trying to defend their right to carry something designed to kill people by comparing it to natural or unavoidable deaths, or accidental ones.

The politicians in the US are too corrupt to do anything. Or too scared. There's a lot of money flowing around in gun sales and the organisations behind them, especially the NRA. Add the lack of mental health care and various loopholes, as well as a population of extremely dumb people, this is something that will take multiple generations to fix. Assuming, of course, the US doesn't implode from further corruption and violence.

Especially ironic when gun toters say "but mah freedumbs" when you consider their for-profit healthcare system and massive survellience state, as well as laws like the Patriot Act. Unfortunately, not enough people there care enough to force change.

I think a lot do care but are outnumbered by the 435 in the US HOR & the 100 in the US Senate & the 1 in the White house.

Gunaphobes

Their is a bit of that. Its better if people are a bit afraid of guns & not blaze' about them.
I go bush & shooting with a mate on occasion. He is very particular about managing & using his guns. He is not happy with the way the authorities enforce & continually change the rules on guns, storage etc.
I think here in Australia we are making it too hard for people to have guns. Farmers, other people who show the responsibility & skills to have them. The laws on storage are getting ridiculous.
Strong background checks are necessary. But it shouldn't be near impossible to have & keep guns & ammunition.

If you’re anti-gun you are anti-freedom. Pure and simple!

In the USA the 2nd Amendment underwrites the 1st Amendment.

Those who say “We don’t need to worry about Tyranical governments” need to study some history.

Those who say “We don’t need to worry about Tyranical governments” need to study some history.

I think the problem is not the fact we have Tyranical dictators etc. They exist & have existed 'forever'. The problem is having cowboys with guns thinking they can do something about it.

A proper military force would wipe the floor with any number gun totin' Good ol' boys in pick up trucks. They wouldn't last 5 minutes duking it out against the military with their hardware. Indeed it'd be safer for life & limb not to have a gun in this case.

So you can have 'freedom' & not have a gun. Sometimes if you have a gun, you are not free or safe at all.

I think the problem is not the fact we have Tyranical dictators etc. They exist & have existed 'forever'. The problem is having cowboys with guns thinking they can do something about it.

A proper military force would wipe the floor with any number gun totin' Good ol' boys in pick up trucks. They wouldn't last 5 minutes duking it out against the military with their hardware. Indeed it'd be safer for life & limb not to have a gun in this case.

So you can have 'freedom' & not have a gun. Sometimes if you have a gun, you are not free or safe at all.

Strange that the first thing dictators do is take people’s guns ... must be a reason they’re doing it ...

#Murica

There is no evidence for anything you say.

Your points have been continually disproven so you are just talking s**t now.

Again I am much more concerned about the crazy person next door to me than the tyranny of government. The US constitution was not drafted with the vision of automatic weapons. The Supreme court was bribed by the NRA in 2008 the basically give carte blanche to weapon access.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then buy a gun to protect yourself ... problem solved.
Then the crazy next door, (who thinks I am crazy) and has bought a gun then loses it over some imagined slight and shoots me.

http://www.vpc.org/studies/justifiable.pdf
This paper states over 5 years there were 300,000 episodes of a gun being used in self defence; and in 2010 there were 230 "justifiable" homicides. Against this there were 8275 criminal gun homicides in the same year. So about 38 "bad deaths" for every "good death"

The Left Wing Dictators Hitler and Mao immediately spring to mind.

Hitler was in no way 'left wing'. Geez he fought Communists in Germany & the USSR to the death in WW2.

I don't remember reading anything about them taking guns off the populace to gain power. Indeed I don't recall either country being remembered for having a gun culture in the first place. Both regimes actually seemed quite popular with the majority of the people.

If Hitler & Mao were worried about guns in the community, how did that stop them getting popular support & rising to power? Hitler actually won an election. Mao fought the corrupt nationalists for popular support. Mao wanted good relations with the West but was rejected by US.

So you'll need to show some evidence of how they subdued their people by taking guns away from them.

Then the crazy next door, (who thinks I am crazy) and has bought a gun then loses it over some imagined slight and shoots me.

http://www.vpc.org/studies/justifiable.pdf
This paper states over 5 years there were 300,000 episodes of a gun being used in self defence; and in 2010 there were 230 "justifiable" homicides. Against this there were 8275 criminal gun homicides in the same year. So about 38 "bad deaths" for every "good death"

This just confirms the crock of shyte the NRA & the right wing nutters are full of over the so called second amendment in the US.

It demonstrates the sad tale of stupidity the US citizens have been sucked into by the Conservative minority in that country.

Its not about guns v no guns. Its about appropriate application, registration, storage, & of the gun types that can be obtained by the general public. Thats all.

The continual mass shootings are a blight on that country & shows how deeply fooled & ruled by fear they really are.

Sad.

The continual mass shootings are a blight on that country & shows how deeply fooled & ruled by fear they really are.

Sad.

What percentage per year of gun related homicides are committed during mass shootings? What percentage of gun related homicdes are committed with semi-auto rifles? What percentage of gun related homicides are committed with legally obtained semi-auto rifles?

Th answer to all of the above ... * all

The real gun issue in America is ILLEGAL HANDGUNS ... which restrictive gun control will do * all to stop.

What percentage per year of gun related homicides are committed during mass shootings? What percentage of gun related homicdes are committed with semi-auto rifles? What percentage of gun related homicides are committed with legally obtained semi-auto rifles?

Th answer to all of the above ... glory be all

The real gun issue in America is ILLEGAL HANDGUNS ... which restrictive gun control will do glory be all to stop.

Percentages? Are you kidding? We're talking about some 38.000 gun deaths per year, Isn't that a problem on its own? What is the need for the over 300,000,000 guns in circulation?. Also people having such easy access to semi & fully automatic weapons. Why do people need such fire power? They clearly don't.

With so many guns in circulation & such easy access to them, it becomes far easier for such guns to become 'illegal' in the first place.

Even the figure quoted above of 230 'justifiable' gun deaths, it would be worth looking at the circumstances of each. Would those people have been be safer with better home protection?, security fences etc? How many people with guns died trying to 'defend' themselves aggressively?

Illegal weapons are a symptom of too many weapons & too easy access to them in the first place.

Percentages? Are you kidding? We're talking about some 38.000 gun deaths per year, Isn't that a problem on its own? What is the need for the over 300,000,000 guns in circulation?. Also people having such easy access to semi & fully automatic weapons. Why do people need such fire power? They clearly don't.

With so many guns in circulation & such easy access to them, it becomes far easier for such guns to become 'illegal' in the first place.

Even the figure quoted above of 230 'justifiable' gun deaths, it would be worth looking at the circumstances of each. Would those people have been be safer with better home protection?, security fences etc? How many people with guns died trying to 'defend' themselves aggressively?

Illegal weapons are a symptom of too many weapons & too easy access to them in the first place.

38,000 gun deaths ... nice obfuscation.

Counting suicides is so disingenuous it’s laughable.

Gun HOMICIDES are the only deaths that actually matter in this argument ... but then again that doesn’t suit the anti-gun narrative.

Gun HOMICIDES are the only deaths that actually matter in this argument ... but then again that doesn’t suit the anti-gun narrative.
To someone who doesn't understand mental health and suicide maybe.

'Obfuscation'??, 'disingenuous'?????? Bloody hell!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no their not!!! Any death needs considering.

A gun makes suicide quick & easily accessible in a moment of decision. If no gun, people may have time to think twice, or be helped. You cannot ignore suicides, accidents, murder or whatever. The point is that too many guns is the first problem. Too easily accessed is the second.

I think with such an attitude, you're one person who should never have a gun licence.

God help us.

Again I am much more concerned about the crazy person next door to me than the tyranny of government. The US constitution was not drafted with the vision of automatic weapons. The Supreme court was bribed by the NRA in 2008 the basically give carte blanche to weapon access.
Then buy a gun to protect yourself ... problem solved.
This logic is so laughable and is why we as a population are doomed.
Instead of logic like : Put restrictions or banns in place so that the crazy neighbor cant get there hands on a firearm. Its Buy a gun to protect yourself..... Problem solved.
Unless of course the crazy neighbor ambushes you and your shot in the head first..... Or goes on a rampage in your street while your mowing the lawns.... But hey, at least you were also armed and protected:huh:

Still 8000.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back