Rumour Gunston requesting trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope with the introduction of free agency that the AFL introduces restricted free agents and allow clubs to have "right of first refusal" making it harder for players like Gunston to leave and giving power back to the clubs.

It's terrible that players who are recently drafted can just leave!

I really hope with the introduction of free agency that the AFL introduces restricted free agents and allow clubs to have "right of first refusal" making it harder for players like Gunston to leave and giving power back to the clubs.

It's terrible that players who are recently drafted can just leave!
They are. They're called "limited free agents". It applies to anyone who has been with the club for more than 8 years, but less than 10 years - and is amongst the club's top-10 money earners.

Free Agency doesn't cover the Gunston scenario, as he's only been with the club for 2 years.

You received 15 + 77 for a homesick Welsh, and you reckon a kid who is younger and so far looking better is pick 18, take it or leave it?

Very, very humorous.

I certainly don't rate Gunston as superior to Welsh, no matter how you fluff the numbers.

Welsh held his own in the best side of the decade.

P.S. No, I'm not interested in buying a car either.

They are. They're called "limited free agents". It applies to anyone who has been with the club for more than 8 years, but less than 10 years - and is amongst the club's top-10 money earners.

Free Agency doesn't cover the Gunston scenario, as he's only been with the club for 2 years.

Yes, I know. But there should be restrictions on players under the qualifying age who just leave when their contract expires. It's crap.

Players who are wanted by their team and match any offer their rival clubs make on their player should have first rights on the player, unless the team decides its in their best interest to trade the player. "Rights of First Refusal."

Personally I dont give a s**t if this pussywhipped little princess goes or stays, he is vastly overrated IMO.

What I am utterly sick of is the way our club bends over and accepts pineapples up the date from the AFL, other clubs and its players. Its high time the club showed some spine and sent a strong message to this prick about his position in the world. Presumably there is already a club into him and we should therfore go in with some belligerance and state what we want and if they dotn like it then get f.....ed the prick can go to the PSD ....AND THEN STICK TO OUR F...ING GUNS. Make him go the the Suns, piss him off, piss the club off.....but for f.... sake make a stand, tell this s**t he cant just walk away and choose where he wants to go after 2 years service. SEND A MESSAGE TO OTHER VICS ON OUR LIST!

Look at how Sydney dealt with Hawthorn and O'Keefe for example..in the end he caved in and went back.

We are soft as butter...always have been. They should be with him this week end saying ...your not going home to melb mate....either come back or pack for Queensland...see what his browbeating mrs thinks of that

End of rant

I just fist pumped alone at my desk. Agree with everything 100%.

The Ryan O'Keefe comparisons are a little absurd.

Are you guys offering Gunston $800K?

What's to stop the kid pricing himself out of the PSD recycle loop?

Very, very humorous.

I certainly don't rate Gunston as superior to Welsh, no matter how you fluff the numbers.

Welsh held his own in the best side of the decade.

P.S. No, I'm not interested in buying a car either.

In Scott Welsh's second year, he had played two games total with total statistic count of one kick.

By the same time, Gunston had played fourteen games, 101 kicks, 44 handballs, 65 marks, 20 goals, 11 behinds and 25 tackles.

Not a fair comparison, OK, let's give Scott Welsh a 2 year head start, and compare them in the year they were traded:

In Gunston's breakthrough 2nd year he averaged 7.5 kicks, 3.2 handballs, 5 marks, 1.6 goals, 1.8 tackles as forward in a cellar dwelling side.

In Welsh's breakthrough 4th year, just before he was traded, he averaged 5.4 kicks, 2.0 handballs, 2.6 handballs, 1.1 goals and 0.7 tackles in the premiership side.

Gunston beats him in every category, in a far worse side, two years earlier.

Far out, that's some very good number fluffing I've done there.

given we are not sticking the boots in at the moment there looks like a chance that the club is hopeful of retaining him.

otherwsie why are they being so nice about him.

because we're better than that really. no point getting into a public shitfight. the stripping of the award sent a clear enough message imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously - unless we get what we need / want out of a trade, we should send the little f***er to the PSD.

Worse case scenario we redraft him and go one player down in a year where we won't be a contender anyway.

The problem at the moment is no-one expects us to play that game. We do it once though and it changes our trading dynamic for the foreseeable future.

Yes - he would be taking the spot of another player we could be developing in that time, but the longer term benefits around player retention and cred in trading negotiations might be worth it.

Why??? The lad ain't happy here for what ever reason the question needs to be asked of the club.

And if it's true we changed that award that's just a joke.

How is it a joke? It was a magnificent effort from Trigg. So many of our supporters criticise our soft and weak approach to everything, whether that be our gameplan, trade week etc and here's someone taking a stand and stripping the award from someone who has royally ****ed us over. Gunston can go get ****ed as far as I'm concerned and Trigg should be commended for not taking s**t and putting the club first.

In Scott Welsh's second year, he had played two games total with total statistic count of one kick.

By the same time, Gunston had played fourteen games, 101 kicks, 44 handballs, 65 marks, 20 goals, 11 behinds and 25 tackles.

Not a fair comparison, OK, let's give Scott Welsh a 2 year head start, and compare them in the year they were traded:

In Gunston's breakthrough 2nd year he averaged 7.5 kicks, 3.2 handballs, 5 marks, 1.6 goals, 1.8 tackles as forward in a cellar dwelling side.

In Welsh's breakthrough 4th year, just before he was traded, he averaged 5.4 kicks, 2.0 handballs, 2.6 handballs, 1.1 goals and 0.7 tackles in the premiership side.

Gunston beats him in every category, in a far worse side, two years earlier.

Far out, that's some very good number fluffing I've done there.

You're picking and choosing stats to suit yourself. It's rubbish logic.

Welsh cracked a game in a premiership year as a 17 year old. He became a regular player in what I rate as the best side in the team of the decade at Gunstons current age. No-one in their right mind would put Gunston in that category.

Seriously - unless we get what we need / want out of a trade, we should send the little f***er to the PSD.

Worse case scenario we redraft him and go one player down in a year where we won't be a contender anyway.

The problem at the moment is no-one expects us to play that game. We do it once though and it changes our trading dynamic for the foreseeable future.

Yes - he would be taking the spot of another player we could be developing in that time, but the longer term benefits around player retention and cred in trading negotiations might be worth it.
We can't. If no trade gets done then he can just walk into the ND instead of the PSD. We don't hold any cards in the ND, as we won't use pick #10 on him and he'll be long gone by the time our 2nd selection comes around at #35. If he nominates for the ND, then I have little doubt that he'll find his way to a Victorian club (albeit maybe not the one he was hoping for).

Welsh cracked a game in a premiership year as a 17 year old. He became a regular player in what I rate as the best side in the team of the decade at Gunstons current age. No-one in their right mind would put Gunston in that category.

Why not?

Its a bit like Gunston playing for collingwood right now. He'd probably have kicked more goals and against better opposition purely from the amount of ball. Much easier than playing for adelaide this season.

Yep.

The O'Keefe dollar figure.

What is your point?

Are you suggesting that clubs and players don't collude to get desired results in the PSD?

If Adelaide play hardball, then Gunston just has to front load a contract with the club of his choice and call Adelaides bluff.

Can't the kid re-enter the national draft if he remains uncontracted? If so, what will the Crows do then? Use pick 14 and draft him again?

It's a moot point anyway, the people running the AFC aren't that stupid. This "hardball" stuff is complete rubbish.

OK, please pick statistics to suit your argument. Go nuts.

I gave Welsh a two year headstart, a superior supply from the midfield and he was still smashed across the board.

Here's a graph to help you understand.

gunstonvwelsh2.jpg

OK, please pick statistics to suit your argument. Go nuts.

I gave Welsh a two year headstart, a superior supply from the midfield and he was still smashed across the board.

Here's a graph to help you understand.

gunstonvwelsh2.jpg

Yes, you can excell up a graph. Well done.

Pie charts are even more impressive.:thumbsu:

Why not go the whole hog and introduce normal distribution tendencies on an ogive?

Yes, you can excell up a graph. Well done.

Pie charts are even more impressive.:thumbsu:

Why not go the whole hog and introduce normal distribution tendencies on an ogive?

Well I did try everything!

Watching football? Nup
Written word? Nup
Statistical information accounting for variance and outliers? Nup
Graphical representation? Nup
Interpretative dance??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back