Injury Gunston to miss 2-3 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Vs Melbourne, I would consider having Smith cover Gunner's role, he is a good mark (not as good) and can do what Gunston does around the ground.

Absolutely, beat Fremantle and lose to Geelong should mean a Victorian qualifying final. Lose to both and it is most likely off to Sydney in the first week of the finals. Gunston is nearly the worst player for us to lose because he is the hardest to replace. No other player offers the same ability to be a threat close to goal, the difficulty of match up and ability to do good work up the field that Gunston does. Personally I would like to see Simpkin given a role in the forward line. Was very impressed when he played a F50 roll in the first Sydney game.

Lose both and we will likely still finish 3rd and square off against the Cats. The gap in percentage will be just too great

...that is unless you think the Dockers will roll the Cats

I think we'll do alright against Fremantle, still could very well end up losing it... if it happens then kudos to the Dockers. I think how Hawthorn handle traveling to WA will be a factor moreso than Freo's "manic pressureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee".

Gunston is a loss as he does so much for the team, but if the team can lift as a unit then it should be a happy team at Hawthorn when the final siren sounds.
More worried about his goal scoring ability being missed from the team than the other work around the ground he does.

Geelong is another beast altogether, i don't expect Hawthorn will win it.... but i hope they pull out all the stops to beat them during the finals should we encounter them be it QF, PF or GF.

I understand the history but we rate Geelong way higher than just about every other team. Ask any neutral supporter and they'd probably back us in by 4-6 goals

Just look at our comparative results, we are a far stronger side on paper. Im still far more concerned about heading off to Fremantle and battling the Dockers in the Perth August heat...

I understand the history but we rate Geelong way higher than just about every other team. Ask any neutral supporter and they'd probably back us in by 4-6 goals

Just look at our comparative results, we are a far stronger side on paper. Im still far more concerned about heading off to Fremantle and battling the Dockers in the Perth August heat...

We've been the favourite in a lot of the matches against Geelong yet seem to play like we are cats in water funnily enough. I hope we beat them but i always expect the worst against them lol.

We've been the favourite in a lot of the matches against Geelong yet seem to play like we are cats in water funnily enough. I hope we beat them but i always expect the worst against them lol.

Im not convinced about this school of though. It's only been since the Hawkins game where we would have gone into the game with any sort of favouritism

I would argue we out performed our ladder position in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

So how did the Gunston thread morph into the Cats/Hawks recent history thread????

Give it up Hawkk....We all know that when it comes to the Cats you can throw out the old form book as they know exactly how to counter Clarko's game-plan....Until such time as he comes up with a radical alternative, then nothing is going to change anytime soon on that score!

Right. The freo win is wayyyy more important than the geelong win

The general discussion was about how we would fare in regards to playing Fremantle without gunners, which I don't think will be a problem. The bigger size of Subiaco, in my mind, will help our guys cut them to ribbons. The fremantle game in many ways is more important, as it essentially denies fremantle a home final in the first week. If cats get 2nd it is basically a stalemate with both hawks and cats squaring off at the G in the qualifying final.

Im not convinced about this school of though. It's only been since the Hawkins game where we would have gone into the game with any sort of favouritism
I was able to check the odds on footywire, at least from 2010 onwards.

In the five games played in 2010 & 2011, Geelong started favourites over us. Since round 2, 2012 (the Bartel game), we've started favourites. The Hawkins game was in round 19, 2012.

*** Apologies Procrastinator35 ... just wanted to clear up this point

I was able to check the odds on footywire, at least from 2010 onwards.

In the five games played in 2010 & 2011, Geelong started favourites over us. Since round 2, 2012 (the Bartel game), we've started favourites. The Hawkins game was in round 19, 2012.

*** Apologies Procrastinator35 ... just wanted to clear up this point

Fair point. How did we go in 2009, 2010 and 2011 from a line perspective. I would assume we probably beat the line in all those games

Way back in 2009 and 2010 popular convention was that Clarkson had the run of Thompson (in much the same way Clarkson has the run of Lyon)

Anyway, forget I spoke about Geelong :eek:

You sound worried more than confident which further proves my point. I stick by it and we will see who's right. Ok?

Fun Fact of the Day.

We're 1 win behind but nonetheless 4% ahead of where we were at the same time last year. On closer examination, our defence is far improved on last year (despite no Lake) while our attack is marginally lower than last year (we've replaced 40 of Buddy's 50 goals without breaking a sweat) and despite what would seem like an endless number of 6 day breaks, a 5 week enforced coach absence, currently sit on top of the ladder.

An incredible achievement when you consider the obstacles...

But yeah, one 2/3 week injury to Gunston and were ****ed. Save me :rolleyes:

Fun Fact of the Day.

We're 1 win behind but nonetheless 4% ahead of where we were at the same time last year. On closer examination, our defence is far improved on last year (despite no Lake) while our attack is marginally lower than last year (we've replaced 40 of Buddy's 50 goals without breaking a sweat) and despite what would seem like an endless number of 6 day breaks, a 5 week enforced coach absence, currently sit on top of the ladder.

An incredible achievement when you consider the obstacles...

But yeah, one 2/3 week injury to Gunston and were ******. Save me :rolleyes:
Fremantle and Geelong couldn't care less! They'll be loving it. Wins give momentum and confidence AT Round 20 onwards. Mark it, Gunstons absence is huge considering we still don't have Rioli is all I'm saying. We will see.

Fremantle and Geelong couldn't care less! They'll be loving it. Wins give momentum and confidence AT Round 20 onwards. Mark it, Gunstons absence is huge considering we still don't have Rioli is all I'm saying. We will see.
Seriously mate every team has injuries we are getting most of our players back. Next week we get lake back that leaves rioli and gunston two important players but not the end of the world

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously mate every team has injuries we are getting most of our players back. Next week we get lake back that leaves rioli and gunston two important players but not the end of the world
I hope I'm wrong and everyone else is right including you. This is one of those times where I would love to be proven completely wrong.

Its not ideal as Rioli & Gunston are quality quality players, but please just calm down... they are both going to be back before finals & we are 80% chance of playing a qualifying Final in Melbourne can you just relax?

True

We can't all stumble over Carlton and GWS by less than a kick :rolleyes:

If Geelong roll Fremantle on Saturday we'd have to literally lose out s**t to drop lower than 3rd

Run into Geelong at the MCG on a Friday Night QF and we've got a genuine 50/50 shot at progressing through to a PF. Given the setbacks in our season to date I like our chances

True

We can't all stumble over Carlton and GWS by less than a kick :rolleyes:

If Geelong roll Fremantle on Saturday we'd have to literally lose out s**t to drop lower than 3rd

Run into Geelong at the MCG on a Friday Night QF and we've got a genuine 50/50 shot at progressing through to a PF. Given the setbacks in our season to date I like our chances

Exactly if Geelong beat Fremantle all we pretty have to do is beat Melbourne & Collingwood and we have a melbourne QF

That is exactly how Jack see's it. His work is done for now. See you in September Jack.
Relax.jpg

Vs Melbourne, I would consider having Smith cover Gunner's role, he is a good mark (not as good) and can do what Gunston does around the ground.

Completely agree B&GBlood.

Keeps the structure the same and I would hate to be Rivers or Goldsack having to chase Smith up to a wing and back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back