Gunston vs Darling vs Stringer

Who's better?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As one off darlings biggest fans he doesn't deserve to be compered with the other two. Gunstons been elite for a while and stringer was electrifying lst season. However, If JD stops playing for frees and actually finds consitency in his game, he will be as good if not better than the other two. s

What happened to Gunston this year? Seem to really be off the boil, he's a ripping player, easily better than the other two in the poll.

What happened to Gunston this year? Seem to really be off the boil, he's a ripping player, easily better than the other two in the poll.
Appeared to be carrying a lower body (hip or leg) injury later in the season. And in general was being over worked with the amount of getting up the ground he was doing all season. Quite similar to how Nick Riewoldt's goal kicking suffered for a while there when he was doing a heap of full ground running.

He'll be better for a return to a better forward structure that doesn't require him to be both the deliverer inside 50 and the tall target.

All play as the second or third tall in their forward lines.

All have had very good seasons and downish seasons in their careers, who's the best one?

I have no idea when Gunston's down season has been at the Hawks. That's what sets him apart from the others. Very consistent, team orientated hard working 3rd tall. The other two lack this. This year he manfully had to play as a KPF.

Call him overrated all you want, we will just replay the final quarter of the grand final. One clutch goal and sets up the sealer.

That alone puts him ahead of darling. The ability to stand up when it counts

Stringer is lacking consistency atm which is the only thing holding him back...

For a guy in his 4th year who has had an ordinary season, set by his own previous standards, to still kick 45+ goals as a midsize fwd is pretty good.

The reason why people call him overrated is due to the build up in the media.

At this stage of their careers, it is Gunston > Stringer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Darling.

I know right...leading goalkicker for the premiers at 22 years of age...super overrated, dunno how he gets a game to be honest.
Well he was dropped and his form in the 2's was average at best.
Luckily there was no other forwards performing 5 goals through a finals series, yep killing it.
Your mids and defence won you the flag or did you miss that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well he was dropped and his form in the 2's was average at best.
Luckily there was no other forwards performing 5 goals through a finals series, yep killing it.
Your mids and defence won you the flag or did you miss that.

Are we comparing these players on their careers as a whole thus far or on 6 weeks of indifferent form? What i saw on GF day was an even spread of contributors, including Jake who was involved in two match winning plays in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Back to the discussion at hand...the careers of these players thus far. Let us deal in cold hard facts shall we???

After 4 seasons in the AFL:

Fact One: Most tackles in a season; Stringer 59, Gunston 57
Fact Two: Most Goal Assists in a season; Stringer 19, Gunston 14
Fact Three: Most Contested Possessions in a season; Stringer 153, Gunston 128
Fact Four: Most Clearances in a season; Stringer 35, Gunston 15
Fact Five: Most marks inside 50 in a season; Stringer 38, Gunston 36
Fact Six: Most Inside 50's in a season; Stringer 69, Gunston 44
Fact Seven: Most Goals in a season; Stringer 56, Gunston 46
Fact Eight: All Australian Selections; Stringer 1, Gunston 0
Fact Nine: Most Goals in a Premiership Team; Stringer 1, Gunston 0
Fact Ten: Key Forwards Played beside; Stringer - Liam Jones, Tom Boyd...Gunston - Franklin, Roughead, Tex, Tippet

So, which player has had the better start to their career? If Jake is overrated thus far then where does Gunston rate given the above data? Look forward to your response...

Are we comparing these players on their careers as a whole thus far or on 6 weeks of indifferent form? What i saw on GF day was an even spread of contributors, including Jake who was involved in two match winning plays in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Back to the discussion at hand...the careers of these players thus far. Let us deal in cold hard facts shall we???

Fact Ten: Key Forwards Played beside; Stringer - Liam Jones, Tom Boyd...Gunston - Franklin, Roughead, Tex, Tippet

So, which player has had the better start to their career? If Jake is overrated thus far then where does Gunston rate given the above data? Look forward to your response...
Pulling those numbers out of your arse? Can tell you straight off the bat that Gunston has kicked more than 46 goals in each of the last 3 seasons. And in at least one of them he kicked more than Stringers 56. If you can't even get goal tallies right I wouldn't be surprised if most of your other stats there are wrong too. Your stats also don't show how much Gunston gets up the ground and how much of a better team player he is.

Pulling those numbers out of your arse? Can tell you straight off the bat that Gunston has kicked more than 46 goals in each of the last 3 seasons. And in at least one of them he kicked more than Stringers 56. If you can't even get goal tallies right I wouldn't be surprised if most of your other stats there are wrong too. Your stats also don't show how much Gunston gets up the ground and how much of a better team player he is.
Struggle reading buddy? It clearly says after 4 seasons...wouldn't be fair to compare gunstons seven seasons to jake's four would it? Stats are correct, feel free to edit or delete your post and apology is accepted...

Struggle reading buddy? It clearly says after 4 seasons...wouldn't be fair to compare gunstons seven seasons to jake's four would it? Stats are correct, feel free to edit or delete your post and apology is accepted...
Your premise is just stupid then. You could compare many young players with Ablett and because he wasn't a shadow of his elite level in his first few years you could then conclude that they are better than Ablett. Which of course is stupid.

Gunston is easily the best of these 3 right now. Cherry picking stats to show Stringer had slightly better numbers at some arbitrary point in their careers only proves little.

Footywire compared at the same age gives Stringer the lead in handballs, behinds and hitouts the rest of the stats are with Gunston.
Sorry I missed clearances but I guess when you never start in the middle that hurts.
Gunston has been the 3rd and 4th target so he's been fighting to get the delivery to him until this year but we're not comparing this year.

We'll happily keep the consistent Gunston and you keep the dropped and inconsistent Stringer.

I don't know where you pulled those stats from. They are inaccurate and way off.

For starters Gunston averages more contested marks in his career and in 2016 he averaged more disposals, more marks, more marks inside 50, more tackles, more inside 50s and more goals!!! Not to mention Gunston has a much better disposal and kicking efficiency.

Gunston has kicked 58 goals, 57 goals and 51 goals in a season not 46.

Let me know when Stringer can play full forward, center half forward, half forward flank, wing and half back as well as kick 4 goals in a Grand Final (twice) and 32 goals in 13 finals matches without being held goalless in a finals to date. Gunston kicked 11 goals in the 2013 Finals series.

Stringer had 11 disposals against GWS and 12 in the Grand Final. Hardly dominant during September compared to Gunston.

Career Stats

Gunston vs Stringer
9.8 Kicks 8.2
5.0 Handballs 4.7
14.8 Disposals 12.9
10.9 Effective Disposals 8.6
5.4 Contested Possessions 6.0
Marks 3.3
1.0 Contested Marks 0.6
2.0 Marks Inside 50 1.5
2.2 Goals 1.9
2.2 Tackles 2.3
2.1 Inside 50s 2.2
Goal Assists 0.6

I don't know where you pulled those stats from. They are inaccurate and way off.

For starters Gunston averages more contested marks in his career and in 2016 he averaged more disposals, more marks, more marks inside 50, more tackles, more inside 50s and more goals!!! Not to mention Gunston has a much better disposal and kicking efficiency.

Let me know when Stringer can play full forward, center half forward, half forward flank, wing and half back as well as kick 4 goals in a Grand Final (twice) and 32 goals in 13 finals matches without being held goalless in a finals to date. Gunston kicked 11 goals in the 2013 Finals series.

Stringer had 11 disposals against GWS and 12 in the Grand Final. Hardly dominant during September compared to Gunston.

Career Stats

Gunston vs Stringer
9.8 Kicks 8.2
5.0 Handballs 4.7
14.8 Disposals 12.9
Marks 3.3
1.0 Contested Marks 0.6
2.0 Marks Inside 50 1.5
2.2 Goals 1.9
2.2 Tackles 2.3
2.1 Inside 50s 2.2
Goal Assists 0.6
You can cherry pick stats from any year or any age and get different results.

Stringer had a down year in 2016, but his 2015 would rate very highly. The challenge for him is to become a consistent performer in the years ahead.

I am confident that he will become a better player as his career unfolds.

Career Stats

Gunston vs Stringer
9.8 Kicks 8.2
5.0 Handballs 4.7
14.8 Disposals 12.9
Marks 3.3
1.0 Contested Marks 0.6
2.0 Marks Inside 50 1.5
2.2 Goals 1.9
2.2 Tackles 2.3
2.1 Inside 50s 2.2
Goal Assists 0.6
FFS! How many times do i have to spell it out...the stats are accurate and taken from the first four seasons of both of their careers. Bit hard to compare seasons 5, 6 and 7 when jake hasnt done them yet...

The point i am making is that at the same stage in their careers (4 seasons) jake had done far more than gunston yet he gets labelled as overrated.

Can you please inform me as to how many possessions gunston had in his first gf? Wouldn't want to be 'pulling stats out of my arse' again...

Back