Strategy Gut the Defence

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m sure we would have won as well, beating Essendon isn’t much of an achievement though and still would have lost the rest of our games though.

Allot of the changes I listed in the op I’d tweak but change is definitely needed.

I'm not convinced. Elliott in for the Bears would have been a significant inclusion. Add him and don't lose Adams 1/2 way through the GWS game could have been the difference. Losing JDG and Howe in game when we were already without Adams and Elliott changed the entire look of the WCE game.

This year more than any other I think we could ill afford to lose key players for any length of time. We just didn't go into the season with the depth of experience needed to cover them. Losing them in-game hurts even more. In order of importance IMHO I'd have:

1. Moore
2. Grundy
3. Adams
4. JDG

5. Pendles
6. Howe
7. Crisp
8. Elliott
9. Checkers
10. Sidey

Missing any 1 of those 10 players was always going to hurt. Missing 4 of them....

I'm not sure though that the mood in here would be any better if we were 2-4 or 3-3 so it's likely a moot point.

And I'm certainly not averse to change. As I indicated, I liked some of your suggestions, not so much others.

Who is our defensive coach?

Longmuir and Boyd (to a lesser degree) have been a big loss.

It says a lot about our key position players and the lack of importance Buckley places on them -

Cox - USA project
Madgen - basketball project
Keane - from Ireland
Cameron - relative unknown from Sydney swans
Roughhead - cheap pick (great service)
Moore - used a decent pick - gun
Kelly - unknown

Where are our key position players of the future?

Who is our defensive coach?

Longmuir and Boyd (to a lesser degree) have been a big loss.

It says a lot about our key position players and the lack of importance Buckley places on them -

Cox - USA project
Madgen - basketball project
Keane - from Ireland
Cameron - relative unknown from Sydney swans
Roughhead - cheap pick (great service)
Moore - used a decent pick - gun
Kelly - unknown

Where are our key position players of the future?
Tohill, another Irish bloke but he’s looking good in VFL so far, considering he missed a lot going home last year I’m optimistic for him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back