Gutsy Win - I'm so proud

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still shaking ..... what character. The boys have given Braddles a fitting tribute and while they are at it, redeemed themselves and showed the Bombers are very vulnerable.

Legitimate question:

Do you think you would have won if Hird did not go down?

Did you think you were the better tema for the majority of the match?

It doesn't matter I suppose because you got the four points, but I felt we had the better of it after quarter time

Originally posted by Dan25
Legitimate question:

Do you think you would have won if Hird did not go down?

Did you think you were the better tema for the majority of the match?

It doesn't matter I suppose because you got the four points, but I felt we had the better of it after quarter time

:rolleyes:

Granted, after Hird went down Essendon lost their momentum. But you have to admit that before that, the teams were pretty equal Dan. Both Essendon and carlton showed glimpses of brilliance.

Yeah it was a pretty even contest I suppose. I could sense us gradually getting on top of you, as the match progressed, but the loss of Hird was the turning point.

Carlton only kicked 5.3.33 in the middle two quarters, and I felt that would continue into the last term, because we had the momentum, but it was not to be. It was certainly a hard fought win by the Baggers, but don't write us off. It could have gone either way.

I think the expectation is that the Bombers will hit the front and run away with every game they play, so it always looks like they are in control and on top. Apart from the Bombers inaccuracy in the third quarter, let's not forget some crucial Blues turnovers that resulted in Bomber goals when seemingly there was no pressure on.

Essendon looked under pressure early and it was apparent they were starting to think they are not sure things from the start. The Bombers are more fearsome when they have that arrogance that creates an air of invincibility. I didn't see too many Blues players that were well beaten and I believe we had some unlucky patches as well. Definitely an old fashioned knock down drag 'em out stoush. Both teams were very good and the Bombers don't necessarily dominate in every game they lose. Sets up an interesting finals series as any team in the top 5 or 6 could cause headaches on their day.

Originally posted by The Old Dark Navy's
I believe we had some unlucky patches as well.

As every team does over the course of a game. But you have to admit, 3 "posters" in one quarter (is that a record?), Lappin's lucky goal of the ground, 3 more scoring shots for us, and Hird's injury (surely the definitive moment in the game) probably gave us the the worse of it in the luck department.

That's taking nothing away from your win, of course, as there have been many close games that we have beaten you in, where we had the better of the luck (round 7 1994, round 18 1998 and Round 20 last year with Kouta's injury for examples). Could have gone either way, and a few "little" things (see above) swung it today.

Not many other clubs have had as many close games as the Bombers and the Blues. That's about the 10th nailbiter in the last 8 years!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back