Club Focus GWS Giants 2020 - Hogan, Preuss, Bruhn, Stone, Angwin, Fleeton, Wehr

AFL Club Focus
8 years at the club but only 6 as a listed player.

bit of a unique story/set of circumstances I'll grant you.

not that it really matters - can't see him going anywhere else (or anyone else being interested)
Footywire have it as 8 though, and I think they'd have a formula to decide whether or not the player is classed as a Restricted Free Agent, rather than manually updating them all. (fwiw it seems the formula still hasn't accounted for lifetime free agency either)

He was at the Bulldogs for a few years, have the lifetime FA rules started this year under the new EBA?

Moot point I imagine, he seems like a popular guy and well settled at the Giants.

He was at the Bulldogs for a few years, have the lifetime FA rules started this year under the new EBA?

Moot point I imagine, he seems like a popular guy and well settled at the Giants.
Yeah the lifetime free agency changes were delayed to start in 2019 so clubs had time to adjust.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Would hope we re-sign Cogs and Tomlinson and if we already have their answer get onto the 2020 crowd to get ahead of it all. Big names there.

With HH signing and doing well and Toj also getting it done can see Patton being up on the trade table.
We don't seem to be fully confident in Flynn or Briggs yet so hopefully we can get a ruck to bridge the gap between a done Mummy and when they are ready.
Bonar also seems to be talked about but the club Can do what we want there with him being still contracted.

Drafting is easy as Green is being picked and or matched where ever he goes in the draft.
He is a talent.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Would hope we re-sign Cogs and Tomlinson and if we already have their answer get onto the 2020 crowd to get ahead of it all. Big names there.

With HH signing and doing well and Toj also getting it done can see Patton being up on the trade table.
We don't seem to be fully confident in Flynn or Briggs yet so hopefully we can get a ruck to bridge the gap between a done Mummy and when they are ready.
Bonar also seems to be talked about but the club Can do what we want there with him being still contracted.

Drafting is easy as Green is being picked and or matched where ever he goes in the draft.
He is a talent.
Ryder would be a move the Giants could consider.
Probably quite cheaply too.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

He is a talent.
I believe Green is a top 6 talent in this years draft, so he’s likely bid on at 6 or 7. Unless Essendon implode, it’s doubtful that GWS get to use the Essendon pick before a bid is made.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Don't think Ryder is the right fit for us, hopefully someone else pops up, if there's a number 2 floating who wants a number 1 gig, the opportunity is there, don't need to throw big money. A ruck and re-signing everybody would be all that's required thanks.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
He'd have moved to Sydney several years ago it if weren't for the Swans trade ban.
I seem to recall GWS were interested too and there were talks pick 6 or Boyd were on the table. Im stretching the memory to a period i dont care to revisit now.
Lions were in there too.
I was disappointed when he nominated Port as the only place he'd go.

At this stage, if Port are playing Lycett ahead of him with Dixon as support. And Ladhams, Frampton and Marshall in the wings, he may just be looking for playing time and something more than the contract Port are offering.

If fitness isn't an issue, would be a good fit for the Giants to support Mumford (or the other way around)

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Looking over the list here are my thoughts
Retirees Shaw, Deledio, Mumford I think all 3 are on their last legs and although they could play a few games next year I think the club is better off trying to get the younger players in these positions as the experience is on the list imo
Delistees Several prospects and depending on who leaves the club will be looking at maybe 3 again taking into account the need to keep experience on the list
Trades The juicy part
Patton is on the table for sure and I can see a cheap trade happening with a vic club in need of a key forward
Coniglio I hope and think he will re-sign but I would want it to happen before the end of the season and if he does sign then a couple of players will look elsewhere
Bonar I dont think he is impacting the NEAFL games as he should be whether that is him or coaches/gameplan/position I can see him looking elsewhere for opportunity
Finlayson Contracted for next year but after his season so far I can see him getting an offer around 600k which will make him interested and with Cameron, HH and Greene taking up big money in the forward half I dont see room for another high earner and I think the club will need to give opportunity next year to the 2 young rucks in Flynn and Briggs and also a developing tall in Sproule
Tomlinson I think the club will let leave as a free agent but if Coniglio leaves they will keep him to have the experience on the list

I can see the club prioritising a ruck and with mention of Ceglar he could fill in part time for 2 years with the other 2, Cameron from the Swans has been mentioned and depending on salary to move the club will ask the question
I cant see Ryder or Goldstein moving to Sydney as it would take too much money
Plenty of others on lists looking for #1 rucks and I think Nicholls from the Suns could be worth a try but depending on his work ethic
the other one I like is Hickey from WC but again money and moving across the country again means the club would need to up the slary and it may be too much
The club may look at some recycled depth that is cheap if it feels it has lost too much experience

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
In terms of who the club will look at in the draft I think the club will definitely take Green and then depending on trades it will look at some talls at both ends and I think closer to the draft we will have a better idea but if Patton leaves and 1 of the tall defenders then i would expect a draftee to fit in at either end of the ground
Also if they go with Simpson for another year they may look at a young developing ruck as I think the club likes to have 4 and as with Essendon and Sydney that is what is needed if injuries happen, My preference would be for Ceglar/Cameron type to be traded in and then the club look to draft a young ruck and delist Simpson

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
GWS need to focus on replenishing their list at the end of the season. They must focus on the contracts of Lachie Whitfield and Tim Taranto. As well as Jeremy Cameron they have a huge task of keeping the trio. I’d personally let Coniglio go if it meant keeping Whitfield and Taranto. Best thing they can do is asses the list and the contract side of things at the end of the season.

Who Goes?
I’d say both Brett Deledio and Shane Mumford will Retire at Season’s end so that leaves them lacking in the experience department. Young gun Aiden Bonar has been heavily monitored by rival clubs and is likely to return home to Victoria. This would leave around 400k in the salary. Jonathan Patton looks likely in making his way across to Hawthorn. Adam Tomlinson will command big bucks this off season so expect either St Kilda or the Western Bulldogs to Sign him through Free Agency. Dawson Simpson has been useful to the Giants through the years but he will probably not receive another Contract. Questions marks will be put over Zach Sproule, Dylan Buckley, Lachie Keffe and Matt Buntine.

What they need?
Experience to protect the younger players. Not overly expensive players who may be a bargain basement. Bringing across Hawthorn Ruckman Jonathan Ceglar in the deal for Patton could be smart. He would come cheaply and instantly become the number one Ruck. Having a look at Richmond Small Forward Dan Butler could also help their Small Forward stocks. They should also monitor Carlton Utility Jack Silvagni.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Green is a massive issue to work out.

Currently based on ladder position they have picks 9 and 15 and possibly 16 is Coniglio goes.

Need to either upgrade to a pick before Green would plus have enough points for him. More likely if Coniglio goes.

Or they need to trade out pick 9 for a 2020 first round pick. Then downgrade pick 15 for more points like the Swans did last year.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
So much talent. They just need to get the balance right.

I am not convinced Leon Cameron is the right coach moving forward and I can see them (and the AFL) throwing big money to Clarkson to get him to jump ship (or when he is next out of contract)

Big mover is Cogs and I think he is gone. Most likely to West Coast but could be hawthorn bound.

They will move on Patton as well and will be able to bring in some more good talent witrh the draft picks they get for both along with the pick they already have from Essendon.

Mumford and Lids are an interesting pair to see if they keep them around. If they let Mummy go I could see them approaching Port about Ryder.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Jacobs might be a cheaper and better option.

Jacobs would be a good pick up if A: he is willing to move for likely a 1 year contract and his family as well B: The Crows are willing to let him go via trade or other way C: He fits in the Giants salary cap and he passes a medical

So much talent. They just need to get the balance right.

I am not convinced Leon Cameron is the right coach moving forward and I can see them (and the AFL) throwing big money to Clarkson to get him to jump ship (or when he is next out of contract)

Big mover is Cogs and I think he is gone. Most likely to West Coast but could be hawthorn bound.

They will move on Patton as well and will be able to bring in some more good talent witrh the draft picks they get for both along with the pick they already have from Essendon.

Mumford and Lids are an interesting pair to see if they keep them around. If they let Mummy go I could see them approaching Port about Ryder.

Dont see Clarkson moving anywhere
I think Coniglio stays but again what do we know if he ends up at the Eagles I am sure some people will be calling for a salary cap enquiry at that club
Patton will only get a 3rd or 4th round pick IMO it will be Bonar and Tomlinson leaving if they do that brings in some quality picks and also shuffling of picks to bring in the targets the recruiters have
Cant see Ryder moving to Sydney and also I dont think the club could afford him, I think the club will see what Rucks shake loose in the ruck merry go round that could happen

Green is a massive issue to work out.

Currently based on ladder position they have picks 9 and 15 and possibly 16 is Coniglio goes.

Need to either upgrade to a pick before Green would plus have enough points for him. More likely if Coniglio goes.

Or they need to trade out pick 9 for a 2020 first round pick. Then downgrade pick 15 for more points like the Swans did last year.

I dont think the club will be too worried about getting in a pick before Green or any Swans like pick shuffling which I can see the AFL introducing some kind of rule this year to prevent I can see the club trying to have the points required for Green and then look to have a couple of 2nd round picks and maybe 1 or 2 later picks

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Giants fans, who do you want to re-sign, and who is on the trade table?
Patton and Buntine should be let go, Coniglio and Tomlinson hopefully re-signed, Shaw, Deledio and Mumford all chances to retire

Where do you see the gaps in the list as it stands?
Even if Shaw stays we have a serious need for some capable young general/small defenders. If we choose to attack the draft then Young and Ash are the ones to go for

Which players do you think are gettable to fill those needs?
Don't really know of anyone that fills the role is available, like I said Ash and Young are the ones I hope we aim for, I also like Mitchell Hibberd from Williamstown a lot for the role

What will it take, given the current trade and draft value on hand?
Moving to Pick 3, or at least 1 pick above Sydney

Some tough decisions coming up, can GWS keep all of Cogs, Whitfield and Kelly? Multiple Melbourne clubs will come at all three with very big $ offers.

Might be that only two of the three can be retained but whoever is prised loose will garner significant trade picks. No way will GWS just accept the compo pick for any RFA wanting to go, will extract a pound of flesh under threat of matching.

The largesse of the start up concessions keep feeding high draft picks into GWS as they keep turning high quality escapees into two high draft picks.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Some tough decisions coming up, can GWS keep all of Cogs, Whitfield and Kelly? Multiple Melbourne clubs will come at all three with very big $ offers.

Might be that only two of the three can be retained but whoever is prised loose will garner significant trade picks. No way will GWS just accept the compo pick for any RFA wanting to go, will extract a pound of flesh under threat of matching.

The largesse of the start up concessions keep feeding high draft picks into GWS as they keep turning high quality escapees into two high draft picks.

Taranto out of contract at the end of 2020 as well. Should find many Melbourne-based suiters (Victorian kid). I do find the lack of hype around him puzzling though, given he's close to being an A-grade mid in just his third year.

Bay Giant

All Australian
Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Taranto out of contract at the end of 2020 as well. Should find many Melbourne-based suiters (Victorian kid). I do find the lack of hype around him puzzling though, given he's close to being an A-grade mid in just his third year.
Every chance he ends up at Collingwood alongside his fellow Texan.

Or Adelaide, alongside the other Texan.

Or he could just stay with us.

You don’t think negotiations have already started with Whitfield, Cameron and Taranto?

And if they aren’t (negotiations) going well at the end of the year, they’ll be trade bait while we get maximum value for them.

Back