jusjoshin

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2008
Gosnells
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, East Side Hawks
I don't think there's any funny business here. But the GWS talent cycle continues, another elite kid(s) gotten for a good price, sooner or later some other elite players will be forced out or ask for a trade, they will get in more first rounders and the cycle continues.

They really do have a ridiculously talented list.

I'm not a big fan of these academies for any club, don't feel it's improving anything.

Clubs are investing resources in kids from regional areas. The AFL gets more high quality draftees. It doesn't benefit established Melbourne clubs unless they want to contribute to regional development. For clubs with issues with player retention, the academy system is a godsend.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Clubs are investing resources in kids from regional areas. The AFL gets more high quality draftees. It doesn't benefit established Melbourne clubs unless they want to contribute to regional development. For clubs with issues with player retention, the academy system is a godsend.

the afl wants zones and a draft, its bullshit

one or the other

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
All year we've been hearing about how good Tom Green is, and how he's just as good as the top two picks Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson. GWS spent a ton of draft currency just to trade their way up ahead of Sydney and Adelaide just to ensure they could select a player before a bid came through for Green.

So why did he last all the way to pick 10?

Considering the sacrifices GWS had to make just to get pick 4, there is no way they weren't going to leave tonight without Green + a top 5 pick. A simple bid from Sydney or Adelaide, who were perpetually linked to Green, would've 100% resulted in GWS matching, leaving them with a deficit next year, which would've been a first.

Yet somehow, this superstar junior who plays like Patrick Cripps drifts all the way out to 10. How exactly? It's not like Sydney, Adelaide and Fremantle wouldn't have loved a player like Green, and even if they didn't, it's a free swing that forces GWS to pile on the points debt. So it begs the question: did the AFL step in behind the scenes to provide leeway for their project again? Going into deficit would've heavily compromised GWS's offseason in 11 months time, especially after already trading their future first to Adelaide, and naturally, this wouldn't please the AFL.

I mean, Fremantle selected Caleb Serong, an inside midfield who is almost universally rated lower than Green. How can such a decision be explained outside the notion of the AFL asking them not to bid on Green, or else...

How did you compose this fine piece, observe a UFO, family of Bigfoots shopping at Woolies and still have time to have brunch with Elvis Presley and troll Big Footy!

Impressive effort 👏

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
So Trent Bianco, a collingwood supporter growing up was rated by Fox as a top 25 prospect. Collingwood’s first pick was at 40. They got the kid at 45.

There’s a top 25 kid going to his club of choice at 45 - how did that happen?

What instructions from the AFL warned every other club off the kid so he could get through to Collingwood 20 places below where he should have gone?

Why aren’t we talking about this scandal?

Love a good conspiracy theory, me, fun and easy to come up with. No basis in reality needed.

So Tom Green didn’t go as high as some people thought he might. He didn’t drop as far as some players did. Happens any number of times with any number of players with every single draft.

Some players go higher than expected, others slide.

Just cause it’s GWS does not make it a f***ing conspiracy.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
So Trent Bianco, a collingwood supporter growing up was rated by Fox as a top 25 prospect. Collingwood’s first pick was at 40. They got the kid at 45.

There’s a top 25 kid going to his club of choice at 45 - how did that happen?

What instructions from the AFL warned every other club off the kid so he could get through to Collingwood 20 places below where he should have gone?

Why aren’t we talking about this scandal?

Love a good conspiracy theory, me, fun and easy to come up with. No basis in reality needed.

So Tom Green didn’t go as high as some people thought he might. He didn’t drop as far as some players did. Happens any number of times with any number of players with every single draft.

Some players go higher than expected, others slide.

Just cause it’s GWS does not make it a f***ing conspiracy.

The thing is once GWS had their first pick it made virtually no difference.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
My view is Clubs were hestasnt due to next year and not wanting to burn other Clubs. Smart choice

Cobwebs

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well don't blame us, Melbourne could (and should) have bid on Green, probably the Swans as well.

Don't think it's a conspiracy so much as clubs wanting to be in the Giants good books next time one of their decent young players who are probably surplus to requirements up there, want to return home for.more opportunity.
Not our job to wipe your anus for you, we picked who we wanted, not a player that was going to make things easier for other clubs. Your club needs first grade players more than us.

Cobwebs

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Correct me if im wrong but once it was after GWS' first pick it didn't matter much where the bid came and theyd end up paying a similar price.

Can any draft gurus confirm that?
Yeah if Adelaide hadn't gifted them pick 4, they would have been back at pick 6, still picked another player if Green was there and then used picks-points to secure him at the bid time. He should have been bid on by Adelaide at 4. ;)

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
No one's sooking at all you numpty…..Just pointing out certain 'anomalies'.....Good luck to both the Blues & Suns for utilising the system for mutual benefit.

Which- by the way - is a perfect example of conspiring.....Just calling it a 'conspiracy theory' means nothing....Other than an admittance that you've been brain-washed by the MSM.

Lol numpty
Reduced to name calling. Pathetic as always.

If that were true I would believe the VFL bullshit that spews forth from the MSM. I don't. Hence not brainwashed.

Keep on telling yourself that.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
did Kellys grandfather win 4 flags at the giants?
So because Tom Green's grandfather won four flags with the Tigers, you think Green will turn his back on the club he's been training with since he was twelve years old?

I really like Richmond as well as a lot of Richmond fans, but please, please don't become like the North supporters. You're already coming across like a bit of a prick.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
So because Tom Green's grandfather won four flags with the Tigers, you think Green will turn his back on the club he's been training with since he was twelve years old?

yes

I really like Richmond as well as a lot of Richmond fans, but please, please don't become like the North supporters. You're already coming across like a bit of a prick.

Kelly is a proven gun Green has not played a game and was pick 10or so

i dont think your comparison is valid

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
Melbourne rated Jackson higher on their own board and probably weren’t going to risk landing another inside mid if the giants chose not to match.

dodo still looks silly for the self congratulating fist pump when hawks didn’t match mosquito far earlier than he was rated.

Back