Club Focus GWS Giants 2020 - Hogan, Preuss, Bruhn, Stone, Angwin, Fleeton, Wehr

AFL Club Focus
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Yeah if Adelaide hadn't gifted them pick 4, they would have been back at pick 6, still picked another player if Green was there and then used picks-points to secure him at the bid time. He should have been bid on by Adelaide at 4. ;)

Gifted?
We got their 1st next year out of it for essentially nothing as McAsey was still available.

Also we've done enough bidding for a lifetime. Its about time someone else took up the reigns.

Why didnt the dees bid at 3 to make them pay up pick 4?

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
So because Tom Green's grandfather won four flags with the Tigers, you think Green will turn his back on the club he's been training with since he was twelve years old?

I really like Richmond as well as a lot of Richmond fans, but please, please don't become like the North supporters. You're already coming across like a bit of a prick.

Well if the shoe fits...

Not like this is his first time.

Cobwebs

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Gifted?
We got their 1st next year out of it for essentially nothing as McAsey was still available.

Also we've done enough bidding for a lifetime. Its about time someone else took up the reigns.

Why didnt the dees bid at 3 to make them pay up pick 4?
Because we didn't bloody want him, how many inside mids does a team need?

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Because we didn't bloody want him, how many inside mids does a team need?

The point being that clubs are bidding on players they don't want because they know the other team will match.

We didnt really want Tarryn Thomas last year I wouldnt think. We bid on him anyway to make North pay up.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
The point being that clubs are bidding on players they don't want because they know the other team will match.

We didnt really want Tarryn Thomas last year I wouldnt think. We bid on him anyway to make North pay up.
Thomas is a utility players, also where you bid him pick 3? Or pick 9. If you don't want a players I rather used pick 9 to bid on him than pick 3, you got to factoring in Risk. Also maybe Melbourne do a North and want to get Bonar type of players from GWS cheap in the future.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Thomas is a utility players, also where you bid him pick 3? Or pick 9. If you don't want a players I rather used pick 9 to bid on him than pick 3, you got to factoring in Risk. Also maybe Melbourne do a North and want to get Bonar type of players from GWS cheap in the future.

I totally understand the concept but point being you dont bid in the top 10 on the basis that there's any chance that player ends up at your club.

Well not with a Tom Green or Tarryn Thomas anyway.

When you go further down like with Mosquito, that's when there's a risk that they wont match.

But realistically GC could've bid on Green at 1 and GWS match it.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I totally understand the concept but point being you dont bid in the top 10 on the basis that there's any chance that player ends up at your club.

Well not with a Tom Green or Tarryn Thomas anyway.

When you go further down like with Mosquito, that's when there's a risk that they wont match.

But realistically GC could've bid on Green at 1 and GWS match it.
You thinking short term, that is why you got Gibbs, what happen if Melbourne or GCS want to do deal with GWS in trading in future eg Bonar type. Adelaide fans just like to screw other club without thinking about future trading. I agree if Melbourne decided they don't want to deal with GWS in the future (players trade or draft trade) , they should bid on green, but you never know what future hold. Just look at your team from GF to everybody looking for better opportunities elsewhere.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
GWS had made it quite clear that we would not match on Tom Green if the bid was too high. And that we would happily take Luke Jackson. So it would have been folly for Melbourne to bid unless they really were prepared to take him instead of Jackson - which they weren't. (We probably would have traded back to pay in that case.)

Cobwebs

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne

North Melbourne, wow, you really stuck it to them eh. This year you gave pick 4 to grand finalists GWS and then expected a club that came 17th bail you out by bidding on a player they don't need. You should get a filter for that Adelaide water or buy the bottled stuff.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
North Melbourne, wow, you really stuck it to them eh. This year you gave pick 4 to grand finalists GWS and then expected a club that came 17th bail you out by bidding on a player they don't need. You should get a filter for that Adelaide water or buy the bottled stuff.
My understanding was that Ogilvie really rated Thomas last year - above Jones so we genuinely wanted him and hoped North didn't match. I suspect this year there was a handshake agreement between GWS and the crows once pick 4 and 6 was swapped with GWS 2020 1st going to Adelaide that Adelaide would not bid. And I suspect that if Green had been in the open pool and not an academy player that Adelaide very much would have used its pick 4 to grab him.

The other interesting one for mine was Carlton seeking pick 6. As a blues supporter noted, after all the shenanigans that have gone on between the 2 clubs recruiters / list managers lately, you'd have thought that if a pick swap was agreed between the clubs for pick 6 & 9 on the night that the extra pick(s) Carlton would have put up to move up would have been agreed hard and fast so there was no confusion. For the record, considering what GWS paid to move from 6 to 4, I think it very fair that the crows asked for Carlton's 2020 1st rounder as well. I would have thought that maybe the Bulldogs 2020 2nd or even the crows 2020 2nd could have gone back the other way. But the risk was by accepting Carlton's 2020 2nd going from 6 to 9 would have left the door open for Geelong to have put up a deal to Fremantle to get in ahead of Adelaide to grab McAsey. A carlton 2020 2nd was simply not enough of a carrot to warrant such a scenario playing out I am thinking.

But thank god for live pick trading - it has really added a new dimension to the entire draft period

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
You thinking short term, that is why you got Gibbs, what happen if Melbourne or GCS want to do deal with GWS in trading in future eg Bonar type. Adelaide fans just like to screw other club without thinking about future trading. I agree if Melbourne decided they don't want to deal with GWS in the future (players trade or draft trade) , they should bid on green, but you never know what future hold. Just look at your team from GF to everybody looking for better opportunities elsewhere.
Never give a sucker an even chance.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
My understanding was that Ogilvie really rated Thomas last year - above Jones so we genuinely wanted him and hoped North didn't match. I suspect this year there was a handshake agreement between GWS and the crows once pick 4 and 6 was swapped with GWS 2020 1st going to Adelaide that Adelaide would not bid. And I suspect that if Green had been in the open pool and not an academy player that Adelaide very much would have used its pick 4 to grab him.

The other interesting one for mine was Carlton seeking pick 6. As a blues supporter noted, after all the shenanigans that have gone on between the 2 clubs recruiters / list managers lately, you'd have thought that if a pick swap was agreed between the clubs for pick 6 & 9 on the night that the extra pick(s) Carlton would have put up to move up would have been agreed hard and fast so there was no confusion. For the record, considering what GWS paid to move from 6 to 4, I think it very fair that the crows asked for Carlton's 2020 1st rounder as well. I would have thought that maybe the Bulldogs 2020 2nd or even the crows 2020 2nd could have gone back the other way. But the risk was by accepting Carlton's 2020 2nd going from 6 to 9 would have left the door open for Geelong to have put up a deal to Fremantle to get in ahead of Adelaide to grab McAsey. A carlton 2020 2nd was simply not enough of a carrot to warrant such a scenario playing out I am thinking.

But thank god for live pick trading - it has really added a new dimension to the entire draft period
I think Calrton getting pick 6 might bid on green and Henry before getting young and by then Fremantle just need to trade out their pick to Geelong.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Never give a sucker an even chance.
Your club suck all former GWS players the most, now telling other club not to suck. Just check how many former GWS players you have including the one delisted by your club. You are such a bitter person, don't get shield and cognilio and now turn on GWS, class act silvagni.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
You suck all former GWS players the most, now telling other club not to suck. Just check how many GWS players you have including the one delisted by your club.
We are talking about bidding, i reckon GWS got away with murder. And good luck to them.

Cobwebs

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Virtually their magoos team, how many do you think we have and how many do you have?
SOS just about filled your club with them didn't he, the better players have gone to the Hawks lately but that is understandable as well.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
SOS just about filled your club with them didn't he, the better players have gone to the Hawks lately but that is understandable as well.
Plowman, Marchbank and Setterfield is what we got and i'm happy with that. If you want to bring up the past go for it, but we were'nt talking about the past. You can add Mathew Kennedy which i'm also happy with.

Last edited:

Cobwebs

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Plowman, Marchbank and Setterfield is what we got and i'm happy with that. If you want to bring up the past go for it, but we were'nt talking about the past.
No? we must have been talking about tomorrows draft, or was it Wednesdays?

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

What are you rabbiting on about. Why would we care what happened with Green?
We moved down because the player we wanted was still there. We got GWS 1st round pick next year out of it. FOR FREE. It was a fantastic trade.

Bidding on players you dont need is exactly what teams should be doing to force other teams to pay the price.
We did it with GWS, we did it with North.

Your team had the chance to do it and didn’t.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back