Player Sponsorship GWS Board Player Sponsorship Discussion

You may have seen the discussion on one of the threads a month or so ago around player sponsorships. I said I would make contact with the club and come back with some detail.

As it turns out GWS have commercial player sponsorships which sell out at a range of cost points but all are considerably above our capacities. They don’t currently have a formal framework for community sponsorship but are happy to work with us to put something in place.

Effectively they would be able to facilitate a donation(s) unofficially tied to a player(s) that would come with benefits, along the lines of one or more items of signed merchandise/event tickets etc naturally depending on how much we raised.

The most bang for buck will potentially come through a sizeable sponsorship of individual players, I can’t see the club giving away signed merchandise by the player for less than $1k per player as a baseline.

@Dr Mike from the Tiger’s board had a great idea, sponsor getting a player’s parents/family to a game, so it doesn’t need to be a straight donation we can be creative.

Below are some organisational points:

· BF doesn't handle the money at all, whoever organises it receives money in good faith from posters then pays up to football club when received.

· Incoming funds are handled in a variety of ways, specific bank accounts or PayPal, if we do it I will be going down the PayPal route, I’ve used them for years without issue.

· BigFooty contributes $200 per club board. This is $200 however many players you sponsor.

· What do sponsors get?
Clubs give goodies and event tickets. You can split these up between your contributors.
BigFooty will give sponsors a Gold or Platinum membership depending on how much they contribute.
$0-49: No membership
$50-$99: 1 year's Gold Membership
$100+: 1 year's Platinum Membership

· What structure should you use for goodie distribution?
Some formats are:
- $100 flat per head. All gimmes included in the sponsorship are raffled off.
- Any amount, with "tickets" in the prize draw for goodies at, say, 1 per $25.

· Sponsors get a spiffy badge on their BF profile

I’d like for us to have a robust discussion on this for a few months with a view to kicking something off later in the year. We also have the polling tools on the forum if helpful.

Discussion topics off the top of my head

1. Do we have enough interest to make it work?

2. Mens, Womens or both

3. Target amount (total or per player)

4. Realistic individual contribution expectations

5. Form of sponsorship

6. Ideas to take to the club for “rewards”

7. Sponsorship organisation timelines

8. Goodie distribution structure as posed above

9. Goodie distribution mode (I suggest RandomPicker an online tool)

I’m sure I’ve missed as many points as I’ve listed, but this should be enough info to get people thinking and discussion started..

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
You may have seen the discussion on one of the threads a month or so ago around player sponsorships. I said I would make contact with the club and come back with some detail.

As it turns out GWS have commercial player sponsorships which sell out at a range of cost points but all are considerably above our capacities. They don’t currently have a formal framework for community sponsorship but are happy to work with us to put something in place.

Effectively they would be able to facilitate a donation(s) unofficially tied to a player(s) that would come with benefits, along the lines of one or more items of signed merchandise/event tickets etc naturally depending on how much we raised.

The most bang for buck will potentially come through a sizeable sponsorship of individual players, I can’t see the club giving away signed merchandise by the player for less than $1k per player as a baseline.

@Dr Mike from the Tiger’s board had a great idea, sponsor getting a player’s parents/family to a game, so it doesn’t need to be a straight donation we can be creative.

Below are some organisational points:

· BF doesn't handle the money at all, whoever organises it receives money in good faith from posters then pays up to football club when received.

· Incoming funds are handled in a variety of ways, specific bank accounts or PayPal, if we do it I will be going down the PayPal route, I’ve used them for years without issue.

· BigFooty contributes $200 per club board. This is $200 however many players you sponsor.

· What do sponsors get?
Clubs give goodies and event tickets. You can split these up between your contributors.
BigFooty will give sponsors a Gold or Platinum membership depending on how much they contribute.
$0-49: No membership
$50-$99: 1 year's Gold Membership
$100+: 1 year's Platinum Membership

· What structure should you use for goodie distribution?
Some formats are:
- $100 flat per head. All gimmes included in the sponsorship are raffled off.
- Any amount, with "tickets" in the prize draw for goodies at, say, 1 per $25.

· Sponsors get a spiffy badge on their BF profile

I’d like for us to have a robust discussion on this for a few months with a view to kicking something off later in the year. We also have the polling tools on the forum if helpful.

Discussion topics off the top of my head

1. Do we have enough interest to make it work?

2. Mens, Womens or both

3. Target amount (total or per player)

4. Realistic individual contribution expectations

5. Form of sponsorship

6. Ideas to take to the club for “rewards”

7. Sponsorship organisation timelines

8. Goodie distribution structure as posed above

9. Goodie distribution mode (I suggest RandomPicker an online tool)

I’m sure I’ve missed as many points as I’ve listed, but this should be enough info to get people thinking and discussion started..
I'm in.

1. Think we should target both mens and womens although I get we're a small group. It just doesn't seem right to me to ignore one.
2. As far as possible amount be flexible, different people have different capacity, and we should respect that.
3. If possible be guided by the club as to what. Families to the game sounds great me though.

Will happily fall into line with whoever does the work to organise it, and the practical realities they see. I have no idea wlhow many people or how much we can get. As for the crowds at games all I can do is go and participate.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies

Just out of curiosity what are some examples of the cost points for a commercial player sponsor?

Happy to take your word they're out of reach, not questioning that - just curious, that's all.

Oh, and we'll more than likely be in if something can be done.

Just out of curiosity what are some examples of the cost points for a commercial player sponsor?

Happy to take your word they're out of reach, not questioning that - just curious, that's all.

Oh, and we'll more than likely be in if something can be done.

They asked me specifically to keep the info out of the public domain sorry mate..

So how does it work on the Brisbane board and the Brisbane club?

Pretty much as per the original post except we know how much is required to sponsor each player - $380 for rookies and younger players, more for experienced players and the most for the leadership group. We all chip in however much we can, work out the totals at the end of the money raising and then vote on which players to sponsor out of those still available.

Guys a couple of our members have approached myself and Giant Strides about the possibility of getting this up and running this year.
I appreciate the time is short to R1 but that shouldn't stop us if we get enough supprt, and we may well be able to progress it past that point regardless.
What it does do is compell us (you) to respond with a certain degree of commitment, ie how much, and urgency.
This is the recommended package, if it get enough legs myself and Vestal will kick in for two of the 50% shares.
As it stands I'll probably be the banker.

Commentary below the package is from our members, I'm not going to identify them but am more than happy for them to do so should they wish.

GOLD PARTNER

• 1. Logo on the big screen next to your player when the team runs out and when your player scores a goal
  • 1. Logo on your player's profile on the GIANTS website
  • 2. Signed guernsey by your player
  • 3. Invitation to a special Player Partner function at the GIANTS WestConnex Centre to meet your player
  • 4/5. Invite for two (2) to the 2019 Kevin Sheedy Medal
  • 6/7. Two (2) tickets to the Skydeck for a match of your choice
  • First right of refusal for 2020 sponsorship of your player (expires 20 December 2019)
I could even donate a 3 game membership to the pool there fore will be 8 items available

You would think there is some players left to sponsor especially bottom tier players at $1k min for the Gold Package

The Gold Package has 7 items included in the package which we could live auto raffle between members who sign up and pay, with donation 8 items in total

Which like other club threads we could do ;

$62.5 for 50% share prize + medal
$125 for 100% share prize + 1 year Gold Premium + medal

Im suggesting at $62.5 / $125 share because i dont think the interest will be high but we will be able to reach 1k min

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
In for $125. Not actually fussed about the prizes. Just need payment logistics if and when appropriate.

Edit: Happy to discuss increasing if necessary.

Last edited:
Was great to go the game and see player i sponsored play

2 weeks time have breakfast at Giants HQ and gurnesy presentation to sponsors

Come November we try again to get this going, many players without sponsor and the club is fantastic to work with

You beauty !! Looking at doing again next season, he hasnt missed a game this season and hardy beaten on any day.

Happy to do another through Big Footy for next season - Bobby Hill hasnt got a Player Partner as yet ;)

If keen should jump on it im sure GWS will work something out

Skydeck tix Swans or Bulldogs game
Meet Bobby
Shhedy B&F Tickets
Etc

Back