Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
You couldn't make this s**t up.

So the team that plays in front of some of the lowest home crowds in the league - only 2 other teams last year had less than double the GWS home average - is now getting an unfair advantage in playing in front of 300 people?

GTFOH.

You couldn't make this s**t up.

So the team that plays in front of some of the lowest home crowds in the league - only 2 other teams last year had less than double the GWS home average - is now getting an unfair advantage in playing in front of 300 people?

GTFOH.

I for one am glad that a bid to allow a select group of corporates to attend when no one else can has been stopped. Regardless of who the club is.

350 people is nothing. And they'd be behind glass sinking booze and eating finger food. Good to get some $ in and open the door a crack for limited supporters to get in.

Note: Limited numbers, not necessarily supporters with major personal limitations (Although the Pies would love it if they were allowed as many limited supporters as they could fit in :p)

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Ridiculous.

MCG pays tenants and it’s celebrated.

Giants try to make some more coin and it’s blocked from down south.

Competitive advantage for 350 people? Seriously?

I suspect the AFL are more concerned that later in the year WA and/or SA clubs may be allowed larger crowds at games and they're just setting the precedent now.

Of course the same logic would mean all clubs would need to limit crowds to whatever the smallest crowd is for any team, but when the * has logic ever prevailed at AFL house.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I suspect the AFL are more concerned that later in the year WA and/or SA clubs may be allowed larger crowds at games and they're just setting the precedent now.

Of course the same logic would mean all clubs would need to limit crowds to whatever the smallest crowd is for any team, but when the fu** has logic ever prevailed at AFL house.

Still ridiculous when you look at the MCC deals etc.

Yeah that last paragraph is interesting, will we be limiting crowds to 10k so there’s now advantage to any club next season when crowds are back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
rich people have too much money to waste as it is. im sure we could safely allow 5000 campaigners with more money than brains into stadiums seating 50,000+ and still keep adequately separated. there will be enough rich campaigners that would pay grand final prices for the exclusive right to watch live that the afl can claw back some money at least and the more money they can make the more jobs etc they can keep.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
rich people have too much money to waste as it is. im sure we could safely allow 5000 campaigners with more money than brains into stadiums seating 50,000+ and still keep adequately separated. there will be enough rich campaigners that would pay grand final prices for the exclusive right to watch live that the afl can claw back some money at least and the more money they can make the more jobs etc they can keep.

Economically this makes sense but I don't like it at all.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Rob Excellent work, the title, the post, the whole lot.

You're one of the few worthwhile campaigners on this entire forum.

I couldn't agree with you more: you couldn't make this s**t up.

We follow a bloated bush league, top-heavy with Melbourne Uni boys club yes men. That the reality of the situation.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Economically this makes sense but I don't like it at all.
normally id agree, but these are crazy times with many businesses in 'will we even survive' mode. hey, if rich campaigners want to pay stupid money to go the footy and it can help support the alf and keep people in work why not. its better than someone paying $20 to take a cheeseboard and pay no attention while they discuss the levels of snow in the alps.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Ridiculous.

MCG pays tenants and it’s celebrated.

Giants try to make some more coin and it’s blocked from down south.

Competitive advantage for 350 people? Seriously?
So...... 350 Corporate GWS fans are more Dangerous Than 80-100,000 feral Collingwood or Richmond fans at the MCG?

Competitive advantage is bull.
Of course it would be an advantage, posters in this thread have already pointed that out. Why else would GWS have made the proposal.

Issue is whether it's unfair or not. I think it is unfair, but so is being a new club in Western Sydney. This to me perfectly explains why "AFL headquarters did not dismiss the idea, but made it clear the league was worried about the flow-on impact for other clubs".

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
normally id agree, but these are crazy times with many businesses in 'will we even survive' mode. hey, if rich campaigners want to pay stupid money to go the footy and it can help support the alf and keep people in work why not. its better than someone paying $20 to take a cheeseboard and pay no attention while they discuss the levels of snow in the alps.

Yeah I can see that re: survival - but it is a slippery slope to go down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back