Autopsy GWS d NMFC 121 - 82.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adding those things to our players doesn’t occur in a vacuum though.

Other teams, with an already higher base, also get the opportunity to become bigger, faster, stronger, better.

It’s why ‘2-3 years off’ is irrelevant when others are already ahead at the same stage.

I reckon you're right here. Similar to the "wait till he develops his tank" theory that seems to be slowly disappearing in the modern age. If you don't come into the AFL with a tank, you're behind the 8 ball and your peers will only keep getting fitter.

Don't stop there. We should have gone harder for Kelly. Gut running mid/winger with silky skills who kicks goals
FMD the bloke goes at 60%de by foot. In a good year. Usually mid 50s. Last time he was in the top 20 at his own club for kicking efficiency was … checks notes … never. In the running with Cripps as the most overrated player in the league.

DE is a flawed stat, but ineffective is ineffective.

Watching back the replay, I couldn't help but notice we were too eager to get the ball inside 50 rather than lower the eyes and hit up short targets. This was especially a problem earlier in the match. We had two or three options just on the 50 or slightly inside but completely ignored them opting to bomb it long to Taylor lace out.

Need to completely change that against Freo.

i have read everything here, interestingly no one has mentioned the crosses to our coaching box and the look on clarksons face..
he appeared to have a look of hopelessness or shock...i thought that was more concerning than the performance of our team....

Watching back the replay, I couldn't help but notice we were too eager to get the ball inside 50 rather than lower the eyes and hit up short targets. This was especially a problem earlier in the match. We had two or three options just on the 50 or slightly inside but completely ignored them opting to bomb it long to Taylor lace out.

Agree and more so the quick handballs to guys running past.

Don’t think many of our goals came from a handball play on through the centre. But we had heaps of guys running onto their wrong side, kicks under pressure, or smothered kicks.

Our MO is to bomb it deep from 70 out, completely ignoring any option 35/40m out from goal.

Infuriating.

Our MO is to bomb it deep from 70 out, completely ignoring any option 35/40m out from goal.

Infuriating.

Given our best contested mark is checks notes an 18 year old first-gamer, it is mind-boggling decision-making.

Last edited:
Agree and more so the quick handballs to guys running past.

Don’t think many of our goals came from a handball play on through the centre. But we had heaps of guys running onto their wrong side, kicks under pressure, or smothered kicks.
It didn't look as cohesive as it did in the practice matches that's for sure. Hopefully it's a different story at Marvel this week.

I think it was just the sheer enormity of trying to match GWS at home. Just about as tough as it gets. They already played a match to get the rust removed and were ready for any opposition trying to catch them lapsing. Well, we tried to get through that and couldn't. That's simply down to how far ahead GWS are compared to us.

How does a 17th placed side end up playing against a team that is destined to be a grand finalist in their second game of the season but our first hitout?

Ugh... anyway I can see what we are trying to do and it'll take time. Can't expect it to all come together instantly. Club has been too unstable recently for that to happen.

It didn't look as cohesive as it did in the practice matches that's for sure. Hopefully it's a different story at Marvel this week.

I think it was just the sheer enormity of trying to match GWS at home. Just about as tough as it gets. They already played a match to get the rust removed and were ready for any opposition trying to catch them lapsing. Well, we tried to get through that and couldn't. That's simply down to how far ahead GWS are compared to us.

How does a 17th placed side end up playing against a team that is destined to be a grand finalist in their second game of the season but our first hitout?

Ugh... anyway I can see what we are trying to do and it'll take time. Can't expect it to all come together instantly. Club has been too unstable recently for that to happen.
You should look at who we play in weeks 3 & 4….

Makes sense. Buckley flogged us too. As if Taylor wasn't bad enough, Buckley was nearly as effective.
This is the CCJ effect.
Him being a useless donkey meant not only was Larkey not getting any space, but he was also double teamed and Taylor had a dominant game.

Our first month is made up of

Prelim finalist
non finalist
Prelim finalist
Grand finalist

rings of fire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back