Autopsy GWS d NMFC 121 - 82.

Remove this Banner Ad

I had my 21st yesterday but only got to see glimpses

I keep reading our fwd pressure is still an area to work on, all I keep thinking when I read it is comben.

I reckon just get him in we desperate need his mongrel and attack in the f50
belated happy birthday

One thing that stood out to me watching the game on the tele was how positive the commentators were about North, even when at times we were overrun by a very good GWS. I'm just not used to anyone having anything positive to say about North in either mainstream or social media. At times it seemed a little bit forced, but they were looking for positives and there was some admiration for what North was trying to do and how the players didn't throw in the towel against a vastly superior opposition.

Personally I was a bit shocked by the gap in quality. I probably underestimated how good GWS is and slightly overestimated where we currently sit. That makes cutting TT an even more bitter pill to swallow because we can ill afford to lose elite talent without compensation, but I need to get over what was the correct decision and move on.

Before the game I said that a loss of less than 40 points would be acceptable, but this actually felt like a bigger than 39 point loss. Next week we're likely to get a clearer picture of where we're at. I hope that the selectors are prepared to make changes to the line up, even after only one game of the real stuff. Apart from Simpkin I expect the likes of Comben, WilPhil, Hardeman, Bergman, Greenwood and possibly even Harvey to be considered for selection, but not for all to actually be selected of course.

The morning after...........

Watched the game although distracted at times with people coming and going.

Very happy that we ran out the game especially given we played premiership faves. Not humbled overall.

Few comments:

Xerri played very well. I don't rate him at all but may have to eat my words if he can maintain this form.
CCJ totally useless.
Lazz - I want to believe but he has to step up. Ordinary game.
LDU seemed to be coasting but still a stand out.
Sheezel - superb.
Duursma - a few knocks on him when selected - looks absolute quality.
Corr - horrible.

Backline a rabble but we knew preseason its our biggest weakness. Give the newbies a few more games and I think they will improve.

On paper this should have been a complete thrashing - we weren't thrashed. Plenty of positives.
Yes we were. It was nearly seven goals. That's a paddling.

Its about what I expected, perhaps a couple of goals more than I'd hoped.

I keep reading our fwd pressure is still an area to work on, all I keep thinking when I read it is comben.

Happy birthday.

Happy 21st Ligs. Hope that you have many more birthdays to celebrate. The Roos won the Premiership in the year I turned 21. (Not going to tell you which one.)

Happy 21st Ligs. Hope that you have many more birthdays to celebrate. The Roos won the Premiership in the year I turned 21. (Not going to tell you which one.)
1977! Lol

Happy Birthday 🎂

People need to realise that in that 23 man squad we rolled out yesterday, 15 guys haven’t even reached the 50 game mark and we had 5 players playing their first game for the club.

It sucks because we have had nothing to celebrate for a very long time, but by that stat alone, it’s going to take time.

You can’t put that much inexperience out on an AFL field and expect us to become world beaters overnight.

There were patches in that game where we really took it up to GWS which was very promising.

If you ask me watching the way we went about it yesterday, regardless of the scoreboard, was a step up on most of the garbage we have dished up over the last 3-4 years.

I just hope the team doesn’t drop their head and keeps believing in what they are doing, because you can see signs that we are trending the right way.

Last edited:
People need to realise that in that 23 man squad we rolled out yesterday, 15 guys haven’t even reached the 50 game mark and we had 5 players playing their first game for the club.

It sucks because we have had nothing to celebrate for a very long time, but by that stat alone, it’s going to take time.

You can’t put that much inexperience out on an AFL field and expect us to become world beaters overnight.

There were patches in that game where we really took it up to GWS which was very promising.

If you ask me watching the way we went about it yesterday, regardless of the scoreboard, was a step up in most of the garbage we have dished up over the last 3-4 years.

I just hope the team doesn’t drop their head and keeps believing in what they are doing, because you can see signs that we are trending the right way.
Anything is a step up from flaming hot dog vomit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s an aggressive player with goal sense. Not a great field kick unless kicking inside the fifty to players with the same qualities.
Doesn’t suit defence.
Take your point but Goater is gone and people are calling for half the rest to be dropped. What is your starting back 6 and who is going to stop any forward from having a laugh? Hogan was just the beginning.

Comben carries massive injury risk, sure he might do a good job but history suggests he will not get a full season.

Tbf the eagles allegedly had some very good supplements..

I swear, look at the game, look at the broken tackles. GWS midfield just shook us off easily, we are not physically intimidating nor strong enough IMO

We dont need to be bodybuilders, but broken tackles, Getting shifted off the ball, the brutal strength of gws legit destroyed us in and out the contest

The way GWS ran through the middle was so so poor. As I've read on here we need a few Wardlaws and yes we do, we have the run now.

I swear, look at the game, look at the broken tackles. GWS midfield just shook us off easily, we are not physically intimidating nor strong enough IMO

We dont need to be bodybuilders, but broken tackles, Getting shifted off the ball, the brutal strength of gws legit destroyed us in and out the contest

The way GWS ran through the middle was so so poor. As I've read on here we need a few Wardlaws and yes we do, we have the run now.

A couple fo years a couple of kilos extra muscle across the board and a significant increase in experience.

GWS stats.png

Just started watching the game, seeing as Foxtel finally decided to put it on demand.

Already concerned about how some rules are going to be adjudicated this year and I'm only 5mins in. Seems you can now shove in the middle of the back as hard as you want, as long as you keep your fist clenched.

Really does look like they don’t think Powell & Phillips can play in the same side. I’d like the coaches to at least try it before it’s too late and they move one of them on.
Don’t think it’s Phillips and Powell tbh. Powell has more strings.

It’s Phillips and Wardlaw/LDU. Pure mids that can’t play anywhere else. Difficult to carry if they’re not elite.

I’m as positive as anyone going around, and of course I could see some minor improvements. But F me it’s disheartening losing by bog average margins for 4 years. Yesterday just felt like Groundhog Day to me.

I’m as positive as anyone going around, and of course I could see some minor improvements. But F me it’s disheartening losing by bog average margins for 4 years. Yesterday just felt like Groundhog Day to me.
Yesterday 2 years ago would have been a 20 goal loss mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back