GWS Draft Thread

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
How many picks, if any, do we have in the pre-season draft?

Any idea who we would pick?

As Danair said we can have up to 6 picks but as we now have 45 players on our list and we are allowed to have up to 50 players in our first year so we could only pick 5 players maximum. But realistically I think we would only pick up 3 more players at the most in the pre-season draft which would give us the same amount of players the Suns had in there first year.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
WOW... So a late 50s pick ruckman has more potential then a top 10 pick ruckman:eek:

I know this is a Giants thread, but seriously, thats insane.

If you followed u18 footy you would know that Downie is a major talent who is very raw but has alot of upside.

But your no doubt someone who think goodes being pick 43, is no way as good as pick 7 (Kris Massie) in his draft year.

Chrono

Senior List
Jun 1, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Carlton, Buffalo Bills
I wonder what turned Sheedy off of Longer. Did he find something he didn't like?

Or does he have a contingency plan?

I don't think anyone was turned off by him, they just thought they'd take other players in front of him and Brisbane used their opportunity to grab him!

Gumby took Greene out of spite because we took Longer. You took greene at 11 so its not like we were thinking of getting Tyson at 12.

Gubby wasn't drafting. SOS led the draft selections as list manager. Saying one club would draft another player out of spite is just plain insane.

WOW... So a late 50s pick ruckman has more potential then a top 10 pick ruckman:eek:

I know this is a Giants thread, but seriously, thats insane.

It's possible, not that I've seen either play. Downie is a highly speculative pick while Longer is a much safer bet. Fyfe was similar, albeit not taken as late. Same with Simon Black, and many others.

Would have thought after seeing Zac Smith smash it with Gold Coast, GWS would have gone for a similar approach,

Will be interesting to say the least to see how your ruck stocks go.

Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gubby wasn't drafting. SOS led the draft selections as list manager. Saying one club would draft another player out of spite is just plain insane.

So the head of football department at the club doesn't have a say in how the list will be put together ? Highly doubt that mate. Also when you have 11 of the top 14 picks and you miss out on a player you would have really liked to have, its very easy to pick an equally good player just to hit back at a club. Calling it insane is a very simple minded and naive way to think.

It's possible, not that I've seen either play. Downie is a highly speculative pick while Longer is a much safer bet. Fyfe was similar, albeit not taken as late. Same with Simon Black, and many others.

"It's possible"...duh!... the disagreement is on who currently has higher potential, not is it possible; and I'm saying if Downie has greater future potential then Longer, he would have been picked higher then Longer. Otherwise are you trying to tell me that 18 year olds are picked on their current ability and not their scope for improvement?

Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If you followed u18 footy you would know that Downie is a major talent who is very raw but has alot of upside.

But your no doubt someone who think goodes being pick 43, is no way as good as pick 7 (Kris Massie) in his draft year.

If you followed u18 footy you would know that Longer is an elite talent who as a great base to build on and has a lot of upside:thumbsu:

But you no dount are someone who thinks that every year pick 43 has a greater chance of being a star then someone in the top 10 picks:rolleyes:

Not doubting that Downie isn't a major talent, just at this point in time, saying he is a greater talent then Longer is certianly contradicting the draft order which should reflect each draft prospect's talent.

IanW

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
#Exers
So the head of football department at the club doesn't have a say in how the list will be put together ? Highly doubt that mate. Also when you have 11 of the top 14 picks and you miss out on a player you would have really liked to have, its very easy to pick an equally good player just to hit back at a club. Calling it insane is a very simple minded and naive way to think.

"It's possible"...duh!... the disagreement is on who currently has higher potential, not is it possible; and I'm saying if Downie has greater future potential then Longer, he would have been picked higher then Longer. Otherwise are you trying to tell me that 18 year olds are picked on their current ability and not their scope for improvement?

Picking a player to get back at a particular club over something they did isnt just stupid, it's also brutally and grossly unprofessional. You go in there with your draft board and your needs list, and you dont let emotion get into it.

Its certainly possible a higher-potential player gets picked later, if the view is that upside is unlikely to be achieved.

Clearly, the GWS brains trust think Giles can play AFL, so they went for another mid rather than lock Longer in *shrug* it wouldnt have been my call, but we'll see how it works when Brogan goes down.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
If you followed u18 footy you would know that Longer is an elite talent who as a great base to build on and has a lot of upside:thumbsu:

But you no dount are someone who thinks that every year pick 43 has a greater chance of being a star then someone in the top 10 picks:rolleyes:

Not doubting that Downie isn't a major talent, just at this point in time, saying he is a greater talent then Longer is certianly contradicting the draft order which should reflect each draft prospect's talent.

You really need to move past what draft number a player is picked up on as once a player is in the afl system it is about what they produce as players not where they were drafted, and I am strongly of the view that Downie has a huge upside and is an excellent pick up.

Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You really need to move past what draft number a player is picked up on as once a player is in the afl system it is about what they produce as players not where they were drafted, and I am strongly of the view that Downie has a huge upside and is an excellent pick up.

They were drafted what under 48 hours ago:confused: Guess someone could lose a leg or an arm:p

Fair enough though (If you truely think Downie has more potential then Longer). I respect your opinion.

Picking a player to get back at a particular club over something they did isnt just stupid, it's also brutally and grossly unprofessional. You go in there with your draft board and your needs list, and you dont let emotion get into it.

Its certainly possible a higher-potential player gets picked later, if the view is that upside is unlikely to be achieved.

Clearly, the GWS brains trust think Giles can play AFL, so they went for another mid rather than lock Longer in *shrug* it wouldnt have been my call, but we'll see how it works when Brogan goes down.

Again, I'm not saying it isn't possible... What I am saying is when a player is taken inside to top 10 picks in a draft. It is safe to say he has more potential then someone taken in the late 50s.

I bet you are a person that thinks it was an honest mistake by an apple employee when the Iphone was "aciedently" left in a bar in the US before its release:rolleyes: Microsoft would never try to sabotage apple would they?;) Unprofessional is a matter of perspective...

Do you think clubs don't hold grudges against other clubs after bad experiences during a particular trade week?

Believe what you want, but do you really think that there is much difference in players between picks 11,12,13 and 14 ? Of which you had 3 anyway. Its important to send a message to all the other clubs of "if you push me, we'll push you back" (so to speak), otherwise they will not respect your organiasation as they should. Certianly happens in the business world, if thats what your comparing it to in terms of it being "unprofessional".

a) I didn't say Gubby would have no say. I'm sure Voss has a say at Brisbane too. However Silvagni and Hadley are the respective people responsible for drafting.
b) These are professional organisations. Comprising draft picks for revenge is moronic and insane.
c) You appear to be fixated on seeing conspiracies given your iPhone comments later.

Put all those together and I find the whole thing absolutely laughable.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
I think the difference between Longer and Downie is a LOT less than the difference between selecting Haynes and a similar player where you secured Downie. I heard down the grape vine a while ago that your recruiters were not impressed with Longer, so it was always on the cards that you would roll the dice on him.

I was shocked that you rolled the dice on Tomlinson.

Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
b) These are professional organisations. Comprising draft picks for revenge is moronic and insane.
c) You appear to be fixated on seeing conspiracies given your iPhone comments later.

Put all those together and I find the whole thing absolutely laughable.
Not sure if one example makes me fixated on conspiracies, but good on you champ if you think that:thumbsu:

I have no clue if you have any background knowledge in professional organisations or business organisations but my Bachelor of commerce tells me that by sounds you live in an ignorant bliss of the true business world.(No offence)
If a business can afford to take 1 step sideways to force a competitor to take 2 steps back, they'd do it in a heart beat.

But anyways think what you want. Your arguement consists of "but they are a professional organisation", hardly worth hearing you repeat again.

IanW

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
#Exers
*pats the kiddie with the BCom and the paranoia problem on the head*

Let me just say this - if people act like you think they should, while you and him are fighting tit-for-tat, the rest of the world eats both your lunches.

GWS thought that Hoskins-Elliott might be a very very special player and that that Jonathon Giles, who has played 50 SANFL games, is good enough to play AFL footy.

Here is an article about him

http://www.sturtfc.com.au/news/2010/06/jonathan-giles-50th-sanfl-game

Nov 25, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
If a business can afford to take 1 step sideways to force a competitor to take 2 steps back, they'd do it in a heart beat.

There is no reason to go out of your way to hurt the Brisbane Lions. There are 16 other teams to worry about, most of which are a bigger threats than the Lions. If Greene wasn't the best player left at that point, then we just gave the better player to Brisbane. We would be one step sideways while the rest of the competition took a step forwards.

We took Greene because we rated him highly and didn't want any other club to have him, including, but not limited to, the Brisbane Lions.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Here is Emma Quayle's brief view on how we went in the draft:

GWS:
The Giants are an obvious, easy inclusion. With 11 of the first 14 picks they really couldn't have failed, but they used the picks well and ended up with a good combination of players. It might sound silly given they haven't even gotten started yet, but they needed to address their lack of back line personnel, and will be able to play Matthew Buntine and Adam Tomlinson down there as well as Nick Haynes, although the last two have done better work as forwards. They have an unbelievable amount of young midfielders to work with, when you throw Tom Scully, Callan Ward, Sam Reid, Rhys Palmer and two of their star 17-year-olds, Dylan Shiel and Adam Treloar, in with the seven they drafted. The one thing they didn't really get was a ready-to-go ruckman, with Billy Longer the player they wound up being willing to miss out on. Tom Downie, their late choice, showed some exciting glimpses in his two games for North Ballarat, but will need time to develop, leaving Dean Brogan, Jon Giles and rookie Andrew Phillips to run the show next year. It does make you wonder whether the Giants have an uncontracted ruckman in their sights for 2013.

Given the rumours about an uncontracted ruckman, I decided to see who would be available next year:
- Adelaide: Immune.
- Brisbane: Leuenberger signed a contract extension.
- Carlton: Kreuzer and Hampson are contracted, but Warnock should be coming off contract at the end of 2012.
- Collingwood: Jolly is too old, Wood is in danger of being delisted.
- Essendon: Hille is too old, Bellchambers is contracted but apparently Ryder is coming off contract.
- Fremantle: Immune.
- Geelong: West comes off contract at the end of 2012. *I couldn't find any info about Simpson's contract status.
- Gold Coast: Explicitly banned from poaching from them by the rules.
- Hawthorn: Bailey is off contract. *Hale would be too old.
- Melbourne: Immune.
- Kangaroos: McIntosh is contracted but Goldstein is off contract.
- PortAdelaide: Renouf should be contracted after just being traded. *Lobbe is a second stringer at best.
- Richmond: Similar to Port, Maric should be contracted after being traded, Vickery is more a forward, and the rest of their rucks are liable to be delisted if Maric shines.
- St Kilda: McEvoy is off contract in 2012 or 2013 (I can't find how long his deal signed in 2010 was for). *Stanley's contract status is unknown.
- Sydney: Mumford is believed to be contract until 2013, but Pyke and Seaby could both be coming off contract.
- West Coast: Cox is too old, Natanui contracted.
- Western Bulldogs: Immune.

So in order of preference: Goldstein, McEvoy, Ryder,Warnock, Seaby and then the rest.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Given the rumours about an uncontracted ruckman, I decided to see who would be available next year:
- Adelaide: Immune.
- Brisbane: Leuenberger signed a contract extension.
- Carlton: Kreuzer and Hampson are contracted, but Warnock should be coming off contract at the end of 2012.
- Collingwood: Jolly is too old, Wood is in danger of being delisted.
- Essendon: Hille is too old, Bellchambers is contracted but apparently Ryder is coming off contract.
- Fremantle: Immune.
- Geelong: West comes off contract at the end of 2012. *I couldn't find any info about Simpson's contract status.
- Gold Coast: Explicitly banned from poaching from them by the rules.
- Hawthorn: Bailey is off contract. *Hale would be too old.
- Melbourne: Immune.
- Kangaroos: McIntosh is contracted but Goldstein is off contract.
- PortAdelaide: Renouf should be contracted after just being traded. *Lobbe is a second stringer at best.
- Richmond: Similar to Port, Maric should be contracted after being traded, Vickery is more a forward, and the rest of their rucks are liable to be delisted if Maric shines.
- St Kilda: McEvoy is off contract in 2012 or 2013 (I can't find how long his deal signed in 2010 was for). *Stanley's contract status is unknown.
- Sydney: Mumford is believed to be contract until 2013, but Pyke and Seaby could both be coming off contract.
- West Coast: Cox is too old, Natanui contracted.
- Western Bulldogs: Immune.

So in order of preference: Goldstein, McEvoy, Ryder,Warnock, Seaby and then the rest.

Goldstein and Ryder look the most likely to me, but I also wonder if the last prelisted spot could come into play given we didnt use that on Macdonald but instead drafted him.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Goldstein and Ryder look the most likely to me, but I also wonder if the last prelisted spot could come into play given we didnt use that on Macdonald but instead drafted him.

Warnock would be a good get imo, and Lycett at WC may be coming out of contract (young and yet to play a game, but coming into a window where he could contribute forward or ruck).

It wouldn't surprise me if Warnock was an easy get, just because of Carlton's three starting quality rucks. Seaby would be similar, and he'd be an AFL quality player until our ruck stocks pick up. If we want to shoot for the moon, Goldstein, Ryder and McEvoy would be stars so I'll be looking to see their contract status throughout the year.

Back