GWS Entry to be Delayed by One Year!

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
One of the worst performances in recent memory? Are you having a lend? They were a team of kids up against AFL-hardened men. That they got within 119 points was the surprise, not that they lost by that much.

Richmond's had 10 games in the past decade that were far worse than that, and don't even get me started on my team. There have been plenty of 40 point losses that the Eagles have had which are far more embarrassing than the GC last Saturday.

great post
if it hadn't been our first game, I'm pretty sure everyone would be labelling Melbourne's performance way worse.

Sydneyfan

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2000
Brisbanópolis
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S’roos, Brisbane Lions, N Syd Bears
If this were the case and that's a bloody big if, Israel Folau will laugh all the way to the Bank, paid big $$$ to play two years in a third-fiddle league and never having to face the pressure and scrutiny of the AFL.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
What you are forgetting is that Sydney is not an AFL city. We haven't grown up on the sport. It is at best, it's our 3rd sport. I think non-sydney people forget that. People in AFL cities will accept development, Sydney will not. Let's do it properly or it will fail. Everyone is saying 'forget about the first year(s)'. I think the AFL will be right to wait a year.

You realise back in 1982, South Melbourne Swans became the Sydney swans. 1986-87 swans made finals and they were getting around 20,000 at the SCG. Early 1990s they struggled, 1996 swans made the grand final and they got more fans. 2005 when Swans won the flag, it proved that After years of investment and Development, AFL establised a Sydney team with a fan base.

Brisbane bears started in 1987, struggled for 8 years and made the finals in 1995, Merged with the fitzroy Lions in 1997 to become the brisbane lions and they won flags in 2001-2003.

True Sydney and Brisbane were not AFL cities 30 years ago.

Gold Coast and Western Sydney were given teams for the sake of having 2 QLD and 2 NSW based teams. There are Already 2 SA and 2 WA teams.

Both GC and GWS will struggle at 1st but by around 2014 both teams will be both competitive.

Furn

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Sydney media will have a field day on us (they have already started). The Sydney media will build/destroy our profile not Sheedy,Melbourne papers or Blog sites. Get ride of gimmicks like Folau. We will be judged first year, a least make us half competitive or plan out one year.

Who cares. They are going to anyway and in the end GWS will have bigger crowds and more members than half the NRL clubs anyway. They will have twice the field day if its delayed by a year. How is that going to look.

Jun 5, 2007
Wrigleyville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Melbourne Victory, Cubs
AFL will not backpedal. They make decisions and they stand by them.
More chance of Gold Coast winning the premiership this year than GWS getting delayed.

Doctor Jolly

Premiership Player
Suspended
Sep 28, 2006
sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
GC is a side show. GWS is where it is at for the AFL.

There are some reasons why they might delay (ground not ready, team not built yet, Issy not experienced enough), but there are a lot more why they wont delay (TV rights, Removed the bye, etc).

SA1NTER

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Rams, Rangers, Red Sox, Hornets
I have it on good account that there is rumblings within AFL headquarters of a delay to the entry of GWS into the league for next season.

Apparently, the performance of Gold Coast and the concern that the GWS kids will not be ready for AFL by next year is at the forefront of the reasoning.

A year spent in the VFL is being looked at before entry into the AFL for 2013.

You heard it here first.

And I have it on good account that you are full of s**t. Go figure.

Back