Strategy GWS game style for 2019

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Hi all,
I think this is the area whereby we can improve most in 2019. The talent is there (injuries have played a role) but i think the game style is what is holding us back. We were most effective in 2016 when we were really attacking and scored a lot of points. Since then we have worked on our defensive structures to try and find a more finals like brand of football.

The touted orange tsunami from a few years ago got found out and we had to adapt. In 2018 we played a game style that focused on counter punching and winning the stoppage/contested game. If the ball as in the middle of the ground/ forward half we worked on a stoppage and backed our contested work to score. This meant fairly slow ball movement as in both of those situations teams had plenty of time to set up.

We still set up the counter attack out of defence quite well in 2018 and whitfield led the way there. I think with williams and kennedy running the ball out of the D50 in 2019 all year we will still be formidable if whitfield spends more time in the middle like he has done most of his career.

Personally I want the best of both worlds- I don't want to lose the focus of our strength (contested ball) but at the same time don't want to have to rely on the counter attack to get fast entries into the forward line. Maybe a move to a more open forward line (like richmond) with one tall and a small in support more often can give us an option whereby we can avoid the congestion we have seen and the long kicks (bombs) which have been a frustration for many.. I can see Green/ Harry playing as the tall and daniels/langdon as the small.

Its a tough call, but i think game plan wise something needs to change for us to open up more scoring lanes than what we currently have

What are your thoughts?

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Hi all,
I think this is the area whereby we can improve most in 2019. The talent is there (injuries have played a role) but i think the game style is what is holding us back. We were most effective in 2016 when we were really attacking and scored a lot of points. Since then we have worked on our defensive structures to try and find a more finals like brand of football.

The touted orange tsunami from a few years ago got found out and we had to adapt. In 2018 we played a game style that focused on counter punching and winning the stoppage/contested game. If the ball as in the middle of the ground/ forward half we worked on a stoppage and backed our contested work to score. This meant fairly slow ball movement as in both of those situations teams had plenty of time to set up.

We still set up the counter attack out of defence quite well in 2018 and whitfield led the way there. I think with williams and kennedy running the ball out of the D50 in 2019 all year we will still be formidable if whitfield spends more time in the middle like he has done most of his career.

Personally I want the best of both worlds- I don't want to lose the focus of our strength (contested ball) but at the same time don't want to have to rely on the counter attack to get fast entries into the forward line. Maybe a move to a more open forward line (like richmond) with one tall and a small in support more often can give us an option whereby we can avoid the congestion we have seen and the long kicks (bombs) which have been a frustration for many.. I can see Green/ Harry playing as the tall and daniels/langdon as the small.

Its a tough call, but i think game plan wise something needs to change for us to open up more scoring lanes than what we currently have

What are your thoughts?
We do counter attack out of defence a lot. I dont think it's really the intent though. The further up the you the ground you turn it over the better. At point AFL was becoming like basketball with the middle largely uncontested except around clearances, but I think that time has past.

The weakness of the orange Tsunami is you have to commit forward, and if the ball is turned over the opposition gets a great opportunity. It's great watching but I wonder if it's a flag winning plan.

Fast ball movement absolutely, I dont think anything advantages the forwards as much as denying the defence tune to organise. That might the area we can improve the most.

We've tended to use the use the talls up the ground a lot taking cobyestedmarks and doing all we can to isolate Toby or Cogs deep one on one. Not exclusively though, and I think you need variation and options.

If you are bombing then absolutely you want a tall under the ball and crumbers around them. We're more likely than most to do this, and it has the advantage if being direct and simple. The player disposing has to be aware if any opportunities if a forward breaks free of course.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Hey Raymann, with the dearth of small to med defenders we have, is there any chance Perryman can play as an inside mid?
He’s not quick but I rate his contested work. He doesn’t have to be a great runner to play inside. His decision making and ball use is great. Also factoring in we just lost two quality mids....
Thoughts?

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Hey Raymann, with the dearth of small to med defenders we have, is there any chance Perryman can play as an inside mid?
He’s not quick but I rate his contested work. He doesn’t have to be a great runner to play inside. His decision making and ball use is great. Also factoring in we just lost two quality mids....
Thoughts?
For a couple of games this year I think I saw Perryman get some midfield minutes. Im my opinion probably will get the luxury to play a full time inside mid role in NEAFL but at AFL level will at best get some midfield and some half back time. Provides lots of flexibility which is always necessary. With Cogs, Ward, Taranto and Hopper as well as Bonar on the cusp, cannot see him being put in the guts ahead of them. With another full preseason look forward to seeing more of Shipley, had glimpses last year and would be good for another one of our local boys to succeed like Williams.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
For a couple of games this year I think I saw Perryman get some midfield minutes. Im my opinion probably will get the luxury to play a full time inside mid role in NEAFL but at AFL level will at best get some midfield and some half back time. Provides lots of flexibility which is always necessary. With Cogs, Ward, Taranto and Hopper and Bonar on the cusp as well, cannot see him being put in the guts ahead of them.
I'd just add Shipley as well.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
With Shipley being a powerful runner and a tough body, would like to see him being tried in a big body outside mid role. A bit like Vandenberg for Melbourne. In time, he could play a rover role for sure with both an inside/outside game.
Makes sense, I'm not sure how it goes. I get constantly surprised by things like Bonar playing a leading forward role.

Taranto covers a lot of ground and maybe he's bound for a predominantly outside role. Shipley's time trials for a first year player were outstanding as well. I dont think you can have too many players that will run hard defensively and also into space to present options to the ball carrier.

I think Perryman gets games next year. Whether he's in our notional best 22 with everyone available might be questionable. A great off season and he might be. :pHe's officially Leon's favourite.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Maybe a move to a more open forward line (like richmond) with one tall and a small in support more often can give us an option whereby we can avoid the congestion we have seen and the long kicks (bombs) which have been a frustration for many.. I can see Green/ Harry playing as the tall and daniels/langdon as the small.

In this scenario, is Jezza a mobile half forward flanker, or a KPF?

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
In this scenario, is Jezza a mobile half forward flanker, or a KPF?
I think he has gotten up the ground as a lead up forward a number of times this year. When he and HH played together, HH spent more time in the goal square than he did and JC got up the ground in a high half forward role.

I see them as interchangeable though, and think we could play either in both positions

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Watched the replay of the EF last night. What hit me was how often Shiel took posession in the back 50 and just belted the ball as hard as he could out out of there. I'm thinking that's contributed to poor disposal stats. I've noticed Haynes and the backs doing it a fair bit as well last year.

It must be team instructions when under pressure I think, but it's bad to watch, and the ball seems to come back at lot. Maybe just an extn of the seek a contest in better position philosophy.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Let’s focus more on the territory game

Lobb and Patton out of the forward line means less good one on one marking and better forward pressure. Get it forward anyhow, and make it hard for the other team to escape. 60 crappy entries rather than 30 pristine entries.

Push up the defense. We have lots of good contest winning defenders. Capitalise on that strength by taking more risks with the defensive line. Win the ball back closer to goal.

Shiel and Scully were two of the better link players. We won’t be as good at powering through congestion with run and carry.

This is now a team built for pressure and contests.

I would go a bit smaller in defence. Say Davis Corr Haynes Buntine Perryman Shaw Williams as the rotating 7. I like Sam Taylor but don’t like 4 tallish slowish defenders.

(I would prioritise Perryman ahead of Finlayson / Tomlinson / etc in defence as Perryman wins contests and his football IQ is sky high. Which will be necessary to play the pressing high line I want to see.)

I also think that a focus on a straightforward territory game should suit our coaches.

I feel we don’t have the coaching nous for the kind of more intricate setups you see from the likes of Hawthorn.

My pet frustration is seeing the full back decide to switch play, and more often than not, the opposition understand what is about to happen quicker than we do.

Does my head in. If we’re not capable of being well drilled enough to do it profitably then don’t do it.

Launch a quick counter when we can. Play the territory game otherwise.

Get healthy and fit. Then unleash a simple but effective game of pace and pressure and power which no other club will be able to match.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

Lobb and Patton out of the forward line means less good one on one marking and better forward pressure. Get it forward anyhow, and make it hard for the other team to escape. 60 crappy entries rather than 30 pristine entries.

Push up the defense. We have lots of good contest winning defenders. Capitalise on that strength by taking more risks with the defensive line. Win the ball back closer to goal.

Shiel and Scully were two of the better link players. We won’t be as good at powering through congestion with run and carry.

I would go a bit smaller in defence. Say Davis Corr Haynes Buntine Perryman Shaw Williams as the rotating 7. I like Sam Taylor but don’t like 4 tallish slowish defenders.

(I would prioritise Perryman ahead of Finlayson / Tomlinson / etc in defence as Perryman wins contests and his football IQ is sky high. Which will be necessary to play the pressing high line I want to see.)

I also think that a focus on a straightforward territory game should suit our coaches.

I feel we don’t have the coaching nous for the kind of more intricate setups you see from the likes of Hawthorn.

My pet frustration is seeing the full back decide to switch play, and more often than not, the opposition understand what is about to happen quicker than we do.

Does my head in. If we’re not capable of being well drilled enough to do it profitably then don’t do it.

Get healthy and fit. Then unleash a simple but effective game of pace and pressure and power which no other club will be able to match.
So be Richmond?

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

I mostly agree. Just not sure about the complicated tactics thing.

I think that's been impacted by having a young group in the past and a lack of continuity for the last couple of years. It's intangible but I do think you need the basics working well or it's risky to introduce complexity.

That is a good plan and can win a flag in my view, but the mids need to perform more consistently, if we're going to get a home QF and instil the fear factor in the opposition in September.

Happily I think they can and the age profile is still improving. Taranto, Hopper, Bonar, Shipley and Kelly should be better next year.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
I think the stats support one maxim in particular; we win under a dominant/ competent ruckman.
Big Daws to have an injury free year and maintain form; we should go far.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I think the stats support one maxim in particular; we win under a dominant/ competent ruckman.
Big Daws to have an injury free year and maintain form; we should go far.
:thumbsu: Succinct and on topic.

He's 31 next year. Not a bad age for a ruckman, particularly one whise spent so much time in the sidelines.

Not too many more chances to shine so I'm sure he'll be working hard in the off season.

Back