Club Focus GWS Giants 2021 - Brander, Callaghan, Aleer, Fahey

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

I suggested 2,2022r2,r3 for 5,hawks2022r1.
Their board didn't like it much, not that it matters,
it is the club, not them.
As I said earlier, if hawks can swap 2022r1 for 3
2022r2's With gold coast, they can keep one of them and send 2 our way.
We could get 2 for 5, magpies2022r2,freo2022r2.
Another year if cheering against Collingwood.
Hawthorn have done maybe 4,25 for 7,7 as their trade.
Who cares, you guys have had 729122 1st round picks since inception, and you have still yet to win a premiership.

You can get another 5 top 10 picks this year and it won't mean a single thing.

Who cares, you guys have had 729122 1st round picks since inception, and you have still yet to win a premiership.

You can get another 5 top 10 picks this year and it won't mean a single thing.
Yet we still appreciate you gifting us your pick

Poor baby. You seem upset.
Was thinking if adelaide was looking at trading up, would either pick 2 for adelaides pick 4 and 2022 2nd be around the mark OR pick 2 for pick 4 and a swap of 2022 1sts which may move GWS back into the top 5 next year.

Either way that win the crows had v the hawks late in the year cost the club big time as a loss would have guaranteed pick 2 this year without any shenanigans

Was thinking if adelaide was looking at trading up, would either pick 2 for adelaides pick 4 and 2022 2nd be around the mark OR pick 2 for pick 4 and a swap of 2022 1sts which may move GWS back into the top 5 next year.

Either way that win the crows had v the hawks late in the year cost the club big time as a loss would have guaranteed pick 2 this year without any shenanigans

The latter one GWS would do imo with the swap of firsts

You have to pay a price and that would be a heavy one but GWS can set the value at what they choose and it comes down to if a team is prepared to pay that price

That is the sort of range you’d expect swapping at the top end

The Pies first rounder trade last year should be a cautionary tale for every club. We might surprise and jump up the ladder, GWS may tumble down due to say a long injury list to key players.

GWS will be fielding a lot of calls about pick 2, some club may get close to prising it out of them, IF their target is not going to be called by other teams at 3, 4, 5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to kill a bit of time while we wait another three weks, any chance GWS would do 6 and 8 for 2 and 13?

They wouldn’t be throwing in 13. Way too much from them

GWS has said we'll take 3 ND selections - which will be 2 live plus matching a bid on Fahey. But we have list room for 4 selections, so I'm sure the team will have their eyes open for late opportunities, such as when they traded futures picks to select Connor Idun & Jake Riccardi in later rounds.

Everyone seemed to have focussed on GWS liking Mac Andrews and think we're just zeroed in on selecting him & so will trade #2, but we've actually said (or been reported) at various time about liking Callaghan, Gibcus, Rachele and Mac Andrew. I daresay there are others that fall into the ''like'' category, but haven't got airtime due to GWS having early picks.

Again, I understand GWS has said we're ''open to trading pick #2'' - but are not actively going to other clubs trying to sell it. Similar to how Norths said they were open to trading pick #1, but even what was offered didn't cause that to happen.

Callaghan is the best selection at #2 (#4 if the two bids are made & matched), and he would complement the team. So, I think GWS will select him - unless we get something really worth our while to trade. That would be getting 2 players we really like, or a really good opportunity for an early 2022 pick - noting that always comes with risk. Which I can see we might not want to take.

So, Freo's #6 & 8 for #2 falls into that category (which might not be the whole trade). Personally, I think #2 & 13 is too much for #6 & 8 (the points don't even match), but if the GWS team think that #6 & 8 (#8 & 10) gets them 2 players they want, then they could do it. Personally (again) I think there's too much risk that two players we want would not be there ... but I'm not the club and the club is not me.

So, that's why I think ... there is a chance.

Taking #6 & 8 obviously gives up Callaghan for sure, and I would say at least one of Andrew/Gibcus. I think there's also a chance that a third of those four (if indeed those are our liked targets - it might just be an IO campaign after all) is gone by our first pick. Conversely, it's possible that one of Andrew or Gibcus gets through to #13, in which case it would be better not to trade!

Last edited:
GWS has said we'll take 3 ND selections - which will be 2 live plus matching a bid on Fahey. But we have list room for 4 selections, so I'm sure the team will have their eyes open for late opportunities, such as when they traded futures picks to select Connor Idun & Jake Riccardi in later rounds.

Everyone seemed to have focussed on GWS liking Mac Andrews and think we're just zeroed in on selecting him & so will trade #2, but we've actually said (or been reported) at various time about liking Callaghan, Gibcus, Rachele and Mac Andrew. I daresay there are others that fall into the ''like'' category, but haven't got airtime due to GWS having early picks.

Again, I understand GWS has said we're ''open to trading pick #2'' - but are not actively going to other clubs trying to sell it. Similar to how Norths said they were open to trading pick #1, but even what was offered didn't cause that to happen.

Callaghan is the best selection at #2 (#4 if the two bids are made & matched), and he would complement the team. So, I think GWS will select him - unless we get something really worth our while to trade. That would be getting 2 players we really like, or a really good opportunity for an early 2022 pick - noting that always comes with risk. Which I can see we might not want to take.

So, Freo's #6 & 8 for #2 falls into that category (which might not be the whole trade). Personally, I think #2 & 13 is too much for #6 & 8 (the points don't even match), but if the GWS team think that #6 & 8 (#8 & 10) gets them 2 players they want, then they could do it. Personally (again) I think there's two much risk that two players we want would not be there ... but I'm not the club and the club is not me.

So, that's why I think ... there is a chance.

Taking #6 & 8 obviously gives up Callaghan for sure, and I would say at least one of Andrew/Gibcus. I think there's also a chance that a third of those four (if indeed those are our liked targets - it might just be an IO campaign after all). Conversely, it's possible that one of Andrew or Gibcus gets through to #13, in which case it would be better not to trade!
Interesting thought process. If we want those 4, if we keep our current picks, we'll get our first choice, and it is extremely likely that 1 of those will be available at our second for sure.

He's their heart & soul, and by far their best player.

Sure he's missed 2 finals through suspension, but he's kicked 20 goals in 11 finals, and been in the top handful of GWS players on 6 or 7 occasions. He would have helped in the semi final, but without him they don't make finals, let alone win the Elim final. He's quite comfortably the best medium forward in the game.

Stringer will be 28 early next season, he's just had a massive spike year, should Essendon cash in? After all, he doesn't really perform in finals, he's peaked.
Stringer on half the cash
Doesn't get suspended
Wouldn't get u a top 10 draft pick. Toby would.

And if Toby is the "heart and soul" then you need a bypass and then an exorcism.

We are as likely to do picks 6 and 8 for pick 2 as you GWS are likely to do Picks 2 and 13 for picks 6 and 8.
Yep, that's the nub of it. Some would, but most supporters won't. #2 for #6 & 8 is seen as too favourable to GWS according to Freo supporters; #2 & 13 for #6 & 8 not enough for GWS by GWS supporters. Freo won't throw #19 into the mix with the latter, see it as too valuable, and don't have a F2R or F3R to sweeten the pot a little. GWS reluctant about anything else in the former scenario.

We'll just have to wait those 22 days to see what the clubs actually do. I think both clubs have done some ''out on a limb'' trades in the past, so who knows what might transpire. I don't expect to see any trades at the pointy end of the draft until the night, though.

I think 2,13 for 4, adelaides2022r1 might be possible. But I doubt we or they would do it.
Im not sure anyone wins there.... Adelaide would be unhappy at giving up a rnd 1 pick in a rebuild and we would be unhappy at giving up 13 for an unknown pick

Im not sure anyone wins there.... Adelaide would be unhappy at giving up a rnd 1 pick in a rebuild and we would be unhappy at giving up 13 for an unknown pick
Maybe if GWS were happy to trade down, could it be along the lines of 2 for 4 and a swap of 2022 1st rounders with the crows which may then upgrade your 2022 1st to a top 5 pick and probably still land you the player you want this year (assuming it is not Callaghan)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back