Club Focus GWS Giants 2022 - Bedford, Cadman, Rowston, Jones, Gruzewski, McMullin, Davis

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Great website but a bit hit and miss on the updates.

I'm sure the admins there would accept the help if you wanted to update for them
If you submit to the contract submission form thing they do seem to update it. The Essendon one is all up to date, and I reckon having a bunch of us bugging them with form submissions linking to official re-signing announcements probably helped.

Probably needs to be discussed collectively about the (least short term) future of the Giants at the end of this season, which is shaping up to be as bad (if not worse) than the Brisbane Go home 5 exodus nearly 10 or so years ago.

Really not a good look for the game having first the Suns, now the Giants look like a feeder club for the Eastern/Southern clubs (in most instances Victorian)

I hesitate bringing this up, may be time to think about re-introducing a COLA again for GWS (with stringent conditions naturally)

Probably needs to be discussed collectively about the (least short term) future of the Giants at the end of this season, which is shaping up to be as bad (if not worse) than the Brisbane Go home 5 exodus nearly 10 or so years ago.

Really not a good look for the game having first the Suns, now the Giants look like a feeder club for the Eastern/Southern clubs (in most instances Victorian)

I hesitate bringing this up, may be time to think about re-introducing a COLA again for GWS (with stringent conditions naturally)
I think this one is a bit different. It's sounds very much like GWS is quite comfortable letting Taranto and Hopper go. Taranto definitely wants to stay, but GWS are refusing to stump up the cash. Hopper almost left last year, and is now considering it again, most likely because he knows the big $$ won't be offered to him at GWS. Bruhn and Hill want to go to Victoria though, but for reasons other than money.

I think GWS want to position themselves to have the cap space to be able to trade for needs, rather than having it all tied up in mids.

It's good list management imo.

I think this one is a bit different. It's sounds very much like GWS is quite comfortable letting Taranto and Hopper go. Taranto definitely wants to stay, but GWS are refusing to stump up the cash. Hopper almost left last year, and is now considering it again, most likely because he knows the big $$ won't be offered to him at GWS. Bruhn and Hill want to go to Victoria though, but for reasons other than money.

I think GWS want to position themselves to have the cap space to be able to trade for needs, rather than having it all tied up in mids.

To a degree...if they are going to trade out any player type it should be inside mids as thats what they have an excess of and rebalance the squad in other areas. But they are in this spot more because of previous bad decisions ie signing cogs and whitfield and kelly to big long term deals...i think their side would have been better if they let one or more of those guys go and keep the ones they will trade this year but whats done is done.

Agree bruhn was always likely to leave (probably to geelong) and hill will go. Hopper is an interesting one geelong is chasing him again as are other clubs-do they trade him now or wait til next year and take FA compo (which might be a top 10 pick if its band 1). Probably depends on what they get offered.

Be interesting to see how much taranto wants to stay in sydney if hes desperate to and the swans cant afford him or have other priorities gws might call his bluff and see if he will take less money to stay.

To a degree...if they are going to trade out any player type it should be inside mids as thats what they have an excess of and rebalance the squad in other areas. But they are in this spot more because of previous bad decisions ie signing cogs and whitfield and kelly to big long term deals...i think their side would have been better if they let one or more of those guys go and keep the ones they will trade this year but whats done is done.

Agree bruhn was always likely to leave (probably to geelong) and hill will go. Hopper is an interesting one geelong is chasing him again as are other clubs-do they trade him now or wait til next year and take FA compo (which might be a top 10 pick if its band 1). Probably depends on what they get offered.

Be interesting to see how much taranto wants to stay in sydney if hes desperate to and the swans cant afford him or have other priorities gws might call his bluff and see if he will take less money to stay.
Sounds like Hopper is Richmond-bound if he leaves.

Taranto seems to be linked to the Pies more than anyone else, but that may not mean they're the frontrunners. The Pies seem to shout about who they're after in the media whereas other clubs try to keep things quiet.

Sounds like Hopper is Richmond-bound if he leaves.

Taranto seems to be linked to the Pies more than anyone else, but that may not mean they're the frontrunners. The Pies seem to shout about who they're after in the media whereas other clubs try to keep things quiet.
My best guess would be that Richmond out of the clubs noted as interested also have the most appropriate draft capital to offer GWS for Hopper as he is still under contract until end of 2023. A mid 1st for him under contract with maybe a swap of later picks back Richmonds way looks around the mark

My best guess would be that Richmond out of the clubs noted as interested also have the most appropriate draft capital to offer GWS for Hopper as he is still under contract until end of 2023. A mid 1st for him under contract with maybe a swap of later picks back Richmonds way looks around the mark
Hopper will fetch a first round pick next year through FA which could easily be a top 5 pick, I don't see why they trade him this year for a low pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that sounds about right. Probably depends how badly we finish the year. If it follows the same script as last year, then we'll probably have a pick inside the top 10 and I'm not sure we'd give that for Hopper.

Yeah that sounds about right. Probably depends how badly we finish the year. If it follows the same script as last year, then we'll probably have a pick inside the top 10 and I'm not sure we'd give that for Hopper.
I hear you - good player though that he is. I would be apoplectic at the club if we handed up pick 3 in an offer for him because at that level you are forgoing a wardlaw / phillipou / Tsatsas type player for him

It's a very good draft this year to load up on KPP stocks, which is why I think the Giants are happy to let Hopper go, provided they get a top 10-15 pick for him.

A Grundy for Taranto trade could work, provided the Pies pay at least a quarter of his annual salary.

getting a good trade return allows them to keep a good age spread through the list and it's the only way to bank medium future picks. Good strategic work imo.

getting a good trade return allows them to keep a good age spread through the list and it's the only way to bank medium future picks. Good strategic work imo.
Spot on. It is great management. Our list balance is way off at the moment re. inside, stoppage mids.
Part of the reason was taking Tom Green a couple of years back… which naturally we had to do. It added to our already surplus of big inside players. Now we have so many of them that a player like Cogs is sacrificing and playing forward. Which is silly because he’s been our best mid this year easily when he’s spent significant time there.

We get to put some balance into the type of player on our list. We also get to ease our salary cap burden.
Finally, we will be well compensated and have several first round picks as a result.

Our midfield going forward:
Cogs
Kelly
Green
Callaghan
Ash
Perryman (midfield is his best position)
Stone
Whitfield
Angwin
OHalloran

We will have about 5 first round picks to add what we need over the next two years.

Spot on. It is great management. Our list balance is way off at the moment re. inside, stoppage mids.
Part of the reason was taking Tom Green a couple of years back… which naturally we had to do. It added to our already surplus of big inside players. Now we have so many of them that a player like Cogs is sacrificing and playing forward. Which is silly because he’s been our best mid this year easily when he’s spent significant time there.

We get to put some balance into the type of player on our list. We also get to ease our salary cap burden.
Finally, we will be well compensated and have several first round picks as a result.

Our midfield going forward:
Cogs
Kelly
Green
Callaghan
Ash
Perryman (midfield is his best position)
Stone
Whitfield
Angwin
OHalloran

We will have about 5 first round picks to add what we need over the next two years.

Great management?

Continually recruiting one paced inside mids even when the club had a plethora of them, whilst constantly losing elite key forwards and not adequately addressing ruck and small forward needs.

Putting a third of the cap into 4 players, only one of which a genuine match winner and on long non commercial terms sapping hunger.

Drafting players who blind freddy could see would not settle and showed as much on draft night and wasting picks on players like Angwin with high picks that nobody rated highly.

Keeping a coach an extra two years after the rest of the world could see lacked the answers and any semblance of a defensive system or structure.

The management and recruitment departments have a lot to answer. The CEO is only concerned with building his corporate CV and turning the club into a PC virtue signalling excuse. He is considered from outside to be domineering, arrogant and meddling. Senior and well respected people don’t want to work underneath him and the AFL itself punishes the club for his arrogance.

The Recruitment Manager seems to have conceded he can’t keep players long term unless he effectively bribes them with uncommercial tenure which then forces the club into continually moving required talent and rendering the joint a development club.

There is nothing smart about this cluster*uck. It’s only a free for all for the stronger established rivals. The club is a joke.

Last edited:
Great management?

Continually recruiting one paced inside mids even when the club had a plethora of them, whilst constantly losing elite key forwards and not adequately addressing ruck and small forward needs.

Putting a third of the cap into 4 players, only one of which a genuine match winner and on long non commercial terms sapping hunger.

Drafting players who blind freddy could see would not settle and showed as much on draft night and wasting picks on players like Angwin with high picks that nobody rated highly.

Keeping a coach an extra two years after the rest of the world could see lacked the answers and any semblance of a defensive system or structure.

The management and recruitment departments have a lot to answer. The CEO is only concerned with building his corporate CV and turning the club into a PC virtue signalling excuse. He is considered from outside to be domineering, arrogant and meddling. Senior and well respected people don’t want to work underneath him and the AFL itself punishes the club for his arrogance.

The Recruitment Manager seems to have conceded he can’t keep players long term unless he effectively bribes them with uncommercial tenure which then forces the club into continually moving required talent and rendering the joint a development club.

There is nothing smart about this cluster*uck. It’s only a free for all for the stronger established rivals. The club is a joke.
I’m not exactly sure what you’re trying to say.

Rumor on our board is gws is chasing Ivan Soldo. Doesn't make much sense to me. He's no better than Preuss and has been woeful since the acl.

Is Riccardi gettable?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back