AFLW club focus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
GWS finished the season in 9th place, and have picks 14, 32, 50, 68, 86, 104, 122 in the national draft. That equates to picks 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15 in the NSW draft, taking into account the picks Sydney will have as an expansion side.

What should their list management focus be this off-season?

I guess a lot depends on who moves to Sydney, we've got a good Academy crop coming through with Goldsworthy having an outstanding NAB League season, Zara Hamilton also getting plenty of it and looking improved with her kicking over the last few weeks and Cynthia Hamilton looking good in the AFLW summer series, it just becomes a matter of hoping that the first two nominate GWS draft zone rather than VIC/ Open NSW

Are the AFLW draft zones for NSW now that the Swans are in the competition going to be similar to the original academy zones with GWS regaining access to the Murray region or would they be based on the current zones with the Murray region being a free for all (Open NSW or Open VIC)?

Are the AFLW draft zones for NSW now that the Swans are in the competition going to be similar to the original academy zones with GWS regaining access to the Murray region or would they be based on the current zones with the Murray region being a free for all (Open NSW or Open VIC)?
Academy rules are less strict, so Murray/Riverina regions are GWS Academy zones but girls can still opt to be in the open NSW pool

Putting aside for a moment what GWS are able to offer... Isabel Huntington, aged 23, has already done an ACL twice in her right knee and once in her left. Won't play next season. If she is to request a trade, it's worth keeping in mind a few deals that went down last year:
  • Chloe Scheer for pick 20
  • Olivia Purcell (& pick 37) for pick 15 (& Chantel Emonson)
  • Tayla Harris & pick 44 for pick 32
I'm sure the Bulldogs would want heaps in return but it ain't gonna happen. And I doubt they would screw themselves over again, a la the Kim Rennie exit, by forcing her to nominate for the NSW draft and be taken by the Swans.

Regarding GWS, there probably will be at least a few players considering a move to (or back to) Victoria. This would perhaps interest the Dogs more than getting picks in return, but I assume all the potentially Vic-bound players have their sights primarily set on Hawthorn or Essendon.

In short, seems to me that Huntington in exchange for the Giants' first pick (currently pick 14) is the most likely outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back