AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

What is his issue. He was very good in 2021 ( e.g. GWS beat Melbourne at MCG, Whitfield had a great game). He is a better winger in my opinion, he can focus on attack more than one on one defence.
He won the BnF in 2020 and was pretty good in 21 (when available)

Even this year he was good against Adelaide. Im still confident he can come good.

I don't think a proud player like Whitfield would want to be a "salary cap dump" player. But it might be part or a bigger trade, eg 7,8,Whitfield for pick 3.
I am not suggesting this is a good trade for either party. Hawks really need some top 3-5 picks I think.

I don't think a proud player like Whitfield would want to be a "salary cap dump" player. But it might be part or a bigger trade, eg 7,8,Whitfield for pick 3.
I am not suggesting this is a good trade for either party. Hawks really need some top 3-5 picks I think.
Ahhh… you sure you’re a Giants supporter?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Carlton's 2nd round pick be enough for the Giants for Haynes (with you paying a portion of his salary) given that the club seems determined to try clear cap space.

Im not sure where all this salary cap dump talk is coming from. The club has said the reverse at the end of the last year and again recently, they are progressively signing up the young guys as we speak. We signed 3 in last week and are close to signing the injured Darcy Jones as well apparently. Im guessing that the only other young guy we are yet to move on that is up this year is Ash.

We may end up getting priced out of Himmelberg, but that isnt so much of a salary cap problem, but avoiding a future cap issue.

Whitfield would look great running up and down the wing at the MCG.

I would take him at Essendon for cheap as we have the cap space to accommodate I think.

They have

But we aint giving up anything significant

Its only a salary dump
It’s true before his last contract that we wanted him but now it would only be to gain a first round pick. Also isn’t he contacted through 2027 so $4m not $3m? I would hope we take whitfield on those terms and offer $1m to Harry Himmelberg to beat out the cats! Solve several problems for us, clears a lot of space and guarantees a great compo pick in return.

Whitfield is overrated. You'd be bloody insane to give up a high draft pick and take his overpaid salary onto your books, whether you have the cap space or not.

Not to mention the guy never plays a full season and misses games flat out. Give me Cogs, Greene, Haynes or Kelly over him any day of the week.

If GWS wanted to keep their first rounders but offload the Whitfield contract, how much would they have to contribute to paying off his salary to attract suitors?

400k a year?
I think there is very little chance they'll do either.

Tom Green putting up 38 and 3 goals last night, including one from 40 out on his left…. Something neither Taranto or Hopper are capable of.
A great decision to move them on so we could keep the cream.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back