List Mgmt. GWS Giants Academy News & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are you seeing the description of the proposed cuts, Dlanod?

My speculation based off the comments to date in two articles:
  • "Albury and Murray" out
  • Wagga and surrounds probably still in
  • Spargo (Albury) out
  • Brander (Wentworth) in
  • Paech (Walla Walla) out

On the back of us signing up Jake Stein as a rookie were got this going

The GIANTS, with their partner ActewAGL, are set to unearth the next cohort of talented AFL players from Canberra and the surrounding region – kicking off in Queanbeyan next week. The inaugural ActewAGL GIANT Opportunities Talent Search Program will be held next week with male and female athletes put through a range of tests in AFL Draft Combine conditions. Athletes from any sporting background are encouraged to test themselves under the supervision of former GIANTS Head of Sports Science and current Academy Director John Quinn.
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2016-11-18/actewagl-giant-opportunities-talent-search-program

If anything it should be a line from Henty across - Henty is halfway between Albury and Wagga, but the real problem is will that area which is now producing good quality kids, which by the way have always existed, revert to a zone that produces very little like recent years have shown because of a lack of pathways and not playing in Victorian Country teams. ( TAC cup )

The Victorian teams will forget about that area once a genuine pathway does not exist, they will revert to getting Victorian kids.

Smacks of ignorance and jealousy IMO.

It will be some years before kids from WS start coming through in decent numbers but the ACT , south coast and the Riverina above Henty should still supply some very talented kids.

Sorry to intrude. Believe it or not I'm actually a fan of the academy's, but I really can't agree with any of what you've said. I'm from around the area so from my experience.

I grew up in Henty and played footy in Henty. I'm 28 years old and whilst Henty has always been an AFL town it really wasn't well footy developed until around the start of my age group. It's the same for a number of towns in the area. A couple of examples, in my last year of primary school the first auskick clinic came into our school and then next year only started up in our league. So we were well behind the city kids then.
It also became much easier to get into elite pathways at my age group. Myself and one of my team mates managed to get a try out and a summer of training with the NSW state team and we're not even that good. Where as a good mate of mine and my older brother who are much better footballer's then both of us never even got a try out from a few years earlier.

What's interesting, after all this (and before the GWS academy), many more kids from around my age group got drafted or got put into the Murray Bushrangers squad. First Sam Rowe (Walla Walla), Dean Terlich (Henty), and Kade Klemke (Henty) all were drafted. Also Sam Schulz (Culcairn) before he was snapped up by you guys was playing for the Bushies and was probably going to get drafted. There were also a few other's that got into the Bushies team like Ben Klemke (Henty). In my area that many kids going on to bigger things certainly wasn't happening this regularly.

And this is why I don't agree with you. In my opinion a lot of the reason why we're seeing so many more talented kids come through is because of the pathways and programs the AFL has placed from years earlier. No doubt GWS have made it better, but the AFL already had it well setup and more kids were coming through because of it. I can't see the talented kids will stop once the academy is removed. Even Sam Murry (Henty) got drafted and wasn't part of any academy teams.

As I said earlier I'm a fan of the academy's, but it should only be used in towns and areas that are footy underdeveloped or there's a threat of another sport. Collingullie for example is mainly a footy town, but there's a rugby threat so I can understand. Other town's like Culcairn, Mangoplah, Walla Walla etc. are very AFL and rarely lose a player to rugby.

I think the Wagga and Collingullie region is where the academy zone should start. Even then I think that could be considered generous.

So it would appear the Giants will lose access to Spargo (Albury) but will keep access to Brander (Wentworth) next year. Is that what you guys are expecting?

So it would appear the Giants will lose access to Spargo (Albury) but will keep access to Brander (Wentworth) next year. Is that what you guys are expecting?
Unknown really.
It sounded like it was heading that way then it was denied.
So who knows.

We will find out the way we usually do when the rules are changed(rightly or wrongly). 5 mins before they action it.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So - do the academies just benefit us, or do they grow the talent pool for everyone?
Rhetorical question really - but let's look at who we didn't get...

Port Adelaide:
Logan Austin
Dougal Howard
Todd Marshall

St Kilda:
Nick Coughlan (rookie)
Jack Steele (via trade from GWS senior list)

Geelong:
Jock Cornell (rookie - since delisted)

Richmond:
Ryan Garthwaite

Essendon:
Kobe Mutch

Carlton:
Harrison McCreadie

Sydney:
Sam Fisher (rookie)

Brisbane:
Jake Barrett (rookie via GWS senior list delisted)

Adelaide:
Elliot Himmleberg

Collingwood:
Max Lynch (rookie)

That's ten of 17 clubs that have drafted, in some form or another, 12 GWS Academy kids in the past three years, plus one of those clubs targeting and trading for one more.

Gee I hate it when the facts get in the way of a good narrative.

Last edited:
So - do the academies just benefit us, or do they grow the talent pool for everyone?
Rhetorical question really - but let's look at who we didn't get...

Port Adelaide:
Logan Austin
Dougal Howard

St Kilda:
Nick Coughlan (rookie)
Jack Steele (via trade from GWS senior list)

Geelong:
Jock Cornell (rookie - since delisted)

Richmond:
Ryan Garthwaite

Essendon:
Kobe Mutch

Carlton:
Harrison McCreadie

Sydney:
Sam Fisher (rookie)

That's seven of 17 clubs that have drafted, in some form or another, 8 GWS Academy kids in the past three years, plus one of those clubs targeting and trading for one more.

Gee I hate it when the facts get in the way of a good narrative.
Add Cunningham to Sydney and Marshall to port(he was in our academy for a bit)

Add Cunningham to Sydney and Marshall to port(he was in our academy for a bit)

Cunningham was in our 2011 NEAFL squad, before the academy was really set up and going, so I didn't count him. I put him in the same basket at Bruce, Townsend, Whiley and Miles - NSW GWS zoned boys but kind of pre-academy.

Forgot Marshall (because he was taken out of academy consideration by the powers that be) but you're right, he probably should be counted.

Edit: just added Marshall and Barrett to above post

Last edited:
Elliot Himmelberg to Adelaide count?

Interesting point. He did spend time in our academy. He also spent time in Brisbane's academy - just not long enough to qualify for either.

But without the academies, he's probably not on Adelaide's list - so happy to add him.

Will edit the post accordingly (though it is tenuous)

Not sure if this has appeared anywhere, a question mark on an excellent academy prospect:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-...demy-prospect-waits-to-see-if-hell-be-a-giant

The 17-year-old tall forward/defender's family owns a farm in Wentworth, a small town in New South Wales close to the South Australian border. That falls within the Giants' zone, but the family also has a property in Mildura, outside of their catchment.

Not sure if this has appeared anywhere, a question mark on an excellent academy prospect:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-...demy-prospect-waits-to-see-if-hell-be-a-giant

The 17-year-old tall forward/defender's family owns a farm in Wentworth, a small town in New South Wales close to the South Australian border. That falls within the Giants' zone, but the family also has a property in Mildura, outside of their catchment.
Yes, this has been reported previously. That it is dragging on with the AFL is par for the course, but highly frustrating. How hard is it?

I would have thought it wouldn't be that hard to work out the primary residence.

As I said before. By law (not AFL rules) your primary residence is the one you're on the electoral roll for. And my understanding is that they are on the electoral roll at their NSW address. No further discussion needed.

If the AFL says they're living mainly in Mildura then they are accusing the family of violating the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918 (section 101) and could put them in a position to be facing a conviction and a fine. Not particularly nice or ethical of the AFL just to fulfil Eddie's desire to screw us.

As I said before. By law (not AFL rules) your primary residence is the one you're on the electoral roll for. And my understanding is that they are on the electoral roll at their NSW address. No further discussion needed.

If the AFL says they're living mainly in Mildura then they are accusing the family of violating the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918 (section 101) and could put them in a position to be facing a conviction and a fine. Not particularly nice or ethical of the AFL just to fulfil Eddie's desire to screw us.
Good points, but apparenty the AFL Commission have advice that they are able to act above the law. Unless the law in question, if followed, would result in a favourable outcome for the Commission (or Eddie if it will shut him up).

Anyone interested in the Barassi line and its implications for GWS and the academy boundaries, this may interest you.

barassi1web.jpg

barassi2a.jpg

barassi3a.jpg

You could put a circle around Canberra as well

And probably run a line up the South Coast till Batemans Bay.

When changing boundaries i wonder what the AFL will take into account.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back