List Mgmt. GWS Giants Academy News & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/gws-giants-academy-news-discussion.1039404/page-17

From Matt Balmer’s top 25 Power Rankings, the Allies have Brander (#1), Ballenden (#8), Spargo (#11) and Jack Powell (#15) in the squad. A number of the GWS Academy members are on TAC Cup lists including Brander and Laine Fitzgerald (Bendigo Pioneers); and Alex Paech, Daniel Johnston, Doulton Langlands and Spargo (Murray Bushrangers).

The squad will be reduced after their final practice games on Sunday 28th May.

2017 National AFL Under 18s Championships Allies Squad:

NSW-ACT (GWS Academy): Nicholas Shipley, Brendan Myers, Jack Powell, Nathan Richards, Jarrod Brander, Alex Paech, Daniel Johnston, Laine Fitzgerald, Doultan Langlands, Jy Lane, Tom Highmore, Charlie Spargo
NSW-ACT (Sydney academy): Luke Skrivanic, Nick Blakey, James Bell, Michael Carroll, Harrison Carr, Luke Robertson, Jarrod Osborne, Jake Brown, Jack Hardman
Northern Territory: Rodney Baird, Zac Bailey, Matthew Green, Jeremiah Scrutton, Tony Olango, Adam Sambono, Dominic Grant
Queensland (Gold Coast academy): Brodie Foster, Brayden Crossley, Harry Simmington, Jacob Dawson, Bailey Scott, Sam Davidson, Damien Burke, Timakoi Bowie, Caleb Graham, Kwaby Boakye
Queensland (Brisbane Lions academy): Connor Ballenden, Jack Payne, Jack Clayton, Ben Sloan
Tasmania: Chayce Jones, Tarryn Thomas, Hugh Dixon, Thomas Mundy, Jake Hinds, Nicholas Hutchinson

http://aflnswact.com.au/u16-academy-allies-neafl/

ALLIES GO INTO CAMP

Twenty-one AFL NSW/ACT players out of the 46-man strong Allies team will go into camp this weekend in Melbourne. During their time in Melbourne, the Allies will take part in two practice matches against Vic Country and Vic Metro at Ikon Park. Practice match team will not be selected until match day.

SEE ALL OF THE AFL NSW/ACT PLAYERS AT THE ALLIES CAMP HERE
Anyone know how Lane is eligible for NSW?

I don't know, Determinant, but given that he's played the whole Div 2 series for GWS Academy & selected for the Allies I presume that he comes from around Corowa (i.e. NSW side of the border), noting that his home club is Corowa-Rutherglen.
My bad I forgot about Corowa and was just focused on Rutherglen, ta

https://www.afl*******************/2017/05/28/u18-trial-vic-countryvic-metroallies-scouting-notes/

U18 trial Vic Country/Vic Metro/Allies scouting notes

It was a cold and wet finish to a mostly sunny day at Ikon Park today – hosting Vic Country v Allies and Vic Metro v Allies final trial games in the lead up to the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships.

Both Victorian teams were severely understrength with a majority of their ‘best 22’ being left out of the contest, playing school football or were managed – while the Allies split their squad in half to help select their final squad.

Matt Balmer’s scouting notes:

Game 1:
VIC COUNTRY 3.5 5.8 7.13 11.14 (80)
ALLIES 2.1 4.3 4.3 6.5 (41)

GOALS:
VIC COUNTRY: Meek 2, Johnston 2, Garoni 2, Floyd, McHenry, Miers, Butts, Jones
ALLIES: Sambono 2, Burke, Scott, Bailey, Richards

https://www.afl*******************/...7/05/Screen-Shot-2017-05-28-at-9.29.52-AM.png

Allies:

#4 Jacob Dawson – Possesses really good hands in close at the stoppages. Kicking does need some work as at times he just banged it forward. Some of his other kicks around the ground did hang in the air, rather than being pinpoint and resulted in a few being spoiled. Inside work is good and wins clearances.

#5 Zac Bailey – One of the clear standouts and the player I was most impressed with through the whole day. Was willing to take the game on, using his speed & agility to move forward. Worked hard all day on the inside at the stoppages and kicked it well on his right foot. Snapped a very good goal in the second quarter.

#6 Bailey Scott – Made some good decisions with ball in hand and provided some run in the middle of the ground. Marks well overhead.

#7 Adam Sambono – Used his speed to chase and lay a great tackle. Is a player that catches the eye and screams X-Factor! Snaps the ball well on either foot and booted two goals – one of which saw him calmly think through a snap, not rushing the chance and putting it through. Is a player that doesn’t need to have too much of the ball to impact a game inside 50.

#8 Jake Brown – One of the leading disposal winners for the Allies, but his ball use was poor. Had multiple clangers and was another at times who just bombed it forward. His voice was good around the ground, barking instructions as an older player in the team and at the stoppages.

#27 Rodney Baird – Very raw footballer who is still learning the game. His decision making is a work-in-progress and was slow in possessing the ball & then disposing of it.

#32 Daniel Johnston – Played up forward and was largely influential. Was beaten in the forward ruck contests and has poor agility. Didn’t find much of the ball through the day. Finished the game well with some solid marks in the last quarter.

#33 Jack Payne – Showed some good signs in defence. Lead up to one play, but overran it attempting to intercept and dropped the mark. He did go to ground too many times early, but his overhead marking got better as the game went on. He was always looking for a switch with ball in hand and I’m looking forward to seeing him play for the Allies in the Under 18 Championships.

#34 Nathan Richards (GWS Academy) – Shared the ruck duties with Tony Olango. Another who looked a touch off the pace at times and struggled around the ground to win the football. Had a few touches late and won most of the hitouts in the final term. Took an outstanding mark over Patterson in the last quarter.

Game 2:

VIC METRO 2.0 4.0 5.0 6.1 (37)
ALLIES 4.1 6.2 9.4 11.7 (73)

GOALS:
VIC METRO: Jones 2, Petruccelle, Harman, Penrith
ALLIES: Hardman 2, Bell 2, Crossley 2, Fitzgerald, Powell, Dixon, Thomas, Clayton

https://www.afl*******************/...7/05/Screen-Shot-2017-05-28-at-9.42.59-AM.png

Allies:

#5 Jack Powell (GWS Academy) – Goes under the radar and just gets the job done. Has a strongly built body and is strong in at the contest. Showed great composure in the opening quarter when he snapped from 40m on an acute angle, taking his time and putting it through when there was no obvious option to pass it off to.

#7 James Bell – One of the Allies’ best in Game 2. Showed some tricks and I really liked his game better than some of his Under 18 Academy Series games. Looked his best across half forward, where he was able to impact the scoreboard booting two goals, getting involved with the contests inside forward 50. Looked lively and one to keep an eye on if he gets a chance.

#8 Jack Clayton – The Brisbane Lions Academy member possesses a nice left foot and his first quarter was one of the better ones I’ve seen him play in a while. Hit a pinpoint pass inside 50 to a teammate and worked hard right around the ground.

#22 Doultan Langlands – Best game I’ve seen him play this year. Was able to impact the game on the outside. Runs well from half back to half forward, and his run down the ground in the second quarter was superb. Spent more time at the stoppages later in the game and is very agile.

#25 Tarryn Thomas – North Melbourne will get a gem next year. Thomas showed some speed playing most of the game inside forward 50. Running down close to the boundary line, he was able to use his vision and hit Hardman in the goal square for a goal assist. Liked his game.

#34 Brayden Crossley – Won most of his one-on-one contests up forward and in the ruck against weaker opponents – but I’m not convinced this will be able to translate at AFL level and will need to work on his endurance. Took some big contested marks, but had a few ugly kicks inside 50.

#35 Connor Ballenden – If you left at three quarter time like some watchers on did you would’ve said Ballenden was poor – but he finished the game respectively well. Struggled further away from goal, but looked his best the closer he was towards goal. At one stage he collected the ball, weaved a few players, ran 20 metres and banged home a goal from just inside 50. Is a good contested mark overhead and I’m hoping he will be at his best in the Under 18 Championships.

https://www.afl*******************/2017/05/28/u18-trial-vic-countryvic-metroallies-scouting-notes/

U18 trial Vic Country/Vic Metro/Allies scouting notes

It was a cold and wet finish to a mostly sunny day at Ikon Park today – hosting Vic Country v Allies and Vic Metro v Allies final trial games in the lead up to the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships.

Both Victorian teams were severely understrength with a majority of their ‘best 22’ being left out of the contest, playing school football or were managed – while the Allies split their squad in half to help select their final squad.

Matt Balmer’s scouting notes:

Game 1:
VIC COUNTRY 3.5 5.8 7.13 11.14 (80)
ALLIES 2.1 4.3 4.3 6.5 (41)

GOALS:
VIC COUNTRY: Meek 2, Johnston 2, Garoni 2, Floyd, McHenry, Miers, Butts, Jones
ALLIES: Sambono 2, Burke, Scott, Bailey, Richards

https://www.afl*******************/...7/05/Screen-Shot-2017-05-28-at-9.29.52-AM.png

Allies:

#4 Jacob Dawson – Possesses really good hands in close at the stoppages. Kicking does need some work as at times he just banged it forward. Some of his other kicks around the ground did hang in the air, rather than being pinpoint and resulted in a few being spoiled. Inside work is good and wins clearances.

#5 Zac Bailey – One of the clear standouts and the player I was most impressed with through the whole day. Was willing to take the game on, using his speed & agility to move forward. Worked hard all day on the inside at the stoppages and kicked it well on his right foot. Snapped a very good goal in the second quarter.

#6 Bailey Scott – Made some good decisions with ball in hand and provided some run in the middle of the ground. Marks well overhead.

#7 Adam Sambono – Used his speed to chase and lay a great tackle. Is a player that catches the eye and screams X-Factor! Snaps the ball well on either foot and booted two goals – one of which saw him calmly think through a snap, not rushing the chance and putting it through. Is a player that doesn’t need to have too much of the ball to impact a game inside 50.

#8 Jake Brown – One of the leading disposal winners for the Allies, but his ball use was poor. Had multiple clangers and was another at times who just bombed it forward. His voice was good around the ground, barking instructions as an older player in the team and at the stoppages.

#27 Rodney Baird – Very raw footballer who is still learning the game. His decision making is a work-in-progress and was slow in possessing the ball & then disposing of it.

#32 Daniel Johnston – Played up forward and was largely influential. Was beaten in the forward ruck contests and has poor agility. Didn’t find much of the ball through the day. Finished the game well with some solid marks in the last quarter.

#33 Jack Payne – Showed some good signs in defence. Lead up to one play, but overran it attempting to intercept and dropped the mark. He did go to ground too many times early, but his overhead marking got better as the game went on. He was always looking for a switch with ball in hand and I’m looking forward to seeing him play for the Allies in the Under 18 Championships.

#34 Nathan Richards (GWS Academy) – Shared the ruck duties with Tony Olango. Another who looked a touch off the pace at times and struggled around the ground to win the football. Had a few touches late and won most of the hitouts in the final term. Took an outstanding mark over Patterson in the last quarter.

Game 2:

VIC METRO 2.0 4.0 5.0 6.1 (37)
ALLIES 4.1 6.2 9.4 11.7 (73)

GOALS:
VIC METRO: Jones 2, Petruccelle, Harman, Penrith
ALLIES: Hardman 2, Bell 2, Crossley 2, Fitzgerald, Powell, Dixon, Thomas, Clayton

https://www.afl*******************/...7/05/Screen-Shot-2017-05-28-at-9.42.59-AM.png

Allies:

#5 Jack Powell (GWS Academy) – Goes under the radar and just gets the job done. Has a strongly built body and is strong in at the contest. Showed great composure in the opening quarter when he snapped from 40m on an acute angle, taking his time and putting it through when there was no obvious option to pass it off to.

#7 James Bell – One of the Allies’ best in Game 2. Showed some tricks and I really liked his game better than some of his Under 18 Academy Series games. Looked his best across half forward, where he was able to impact the scoreboard booting two goals, getting involved with the contests inside forward 50. Looked lively and one to keep an eye on if he gets a chance.

#8 Jack Clayton – The Brisbane Lions Academy member possesses a nice left foot and his first quarter was one of the better ones I’ve seen him play in a while. Hit a pinpoint pass inside 50 to a teammate and worked hard right around the ground.

#22 Doultan Langlands – Best game I’ve seen him play this year. Was able to impact the game on the outside. Runs well from half back to half forward, and his run down the ground in the second quarter was superb. Spent more time at the stoppages later in the game and is very agile.

#25 Tarryn Thomas – North Melbourne will get a gem next year. Thomas showed some speed playing most of the game inside forward 50. Running down close to the boundary line, he was able to use his vision and hit Hardman in the goal square for a goal assist. Liked his game.

#34 Brayden Crossley – Won most of his one-on-one contests up forward and in the ruck against weaker opponents – but I’m not convinced this will be able to translate at AFL level and will need to work on his endurance. Took some big contested marks, but had a few ugly kicks inside 50.

#35 Connor Ballenden – If you left at three quarter time like some watchers on did you would’ve said Ballenden was poor – but he finished the game respectively well. Struggled further away from goal, but looked his best the closer he was towards goal. At one stage he collected the ball, weaved a few players, ran 20 metres and banged home a goal from just inside 50. Is a good contested mark overhead and I’m hoping he will be at his best in the Under 18 Championships.
I like Powell a lot, but he needs to drop the Collingwood fan-boy stuff:)

Allies team named for match versus Victorian Country, Sunday June 11, 12.30pm at Blacktown International Sportspark

GWS Academy players - draftable to GWS in bold; excluded GWS players in italics.
Notably, all 5 GWS-draftable players have been named; Brander has been named as CHB rather than KPF. If he plays there throughout the championships, his draft value would presumably tumble.

b: Tom Highmore - Jack Payne - Brodie Foster
hb: Jake Hinds - Jarrod Brander - Luke Robertson
c: Tarryn Thomas - Nicholas Shipley - Harry Simington
hf: Jack Clayton - Hugh Dixon - James Bell
f: Nick Blakey - Connor Ballenden - Jack Hardman
r: Brayden Crossley - Zac Bailey - Charlie Spargo
i: Jack Powell - Brendan Myers - Sam Davidson - Nathan Richards - Kwaby Boakye

emerg: Luke Skrivanic - Bailey Scott

Well, the other game of footy on today ... we (in this case the Allies) also lost to a Victorian team. I've pulled out some comments relevant to GWS academy (or ex-academy) members for everyone's knowledge. (In fact, there was another game also, U17 NSW/ACT vs Tasmania, which we also lost.)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-11/u18-potential-no1-pick-leads-vic-country-home

ALLIES 2.2 4.3 8.5 8.8 (56)
VIC COUNTRY 2.2 5.3 6.5 10.8 (68)

GOALS
Allies:
Dixon 3, Simington 2, Hardman, Blakey, Powell
Vic Country: Barzen 2, Daniels, McHenry, Dow, Handley, Ling, De Koning, Butts, Meek

BEST
Allies:
Shipley, Brander, Highmore, Hardman, Thomas
Vic Country: Davies-Uniacke, Paton, Dow, Walsh, Daniels, Butts

POTENTIAL No.1 draft pick Luke Davies-Uniacke has played a starring midfield role in Vic Country's 12-point win over the Allies in the first round of the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships on Sunday. After trailing by 12 points at three-quarter time, Vic Country kicked four unanswered goals to secure the win, while each of the Allies' three shots at goal in the last quarter hit the post.

Strong-bodied inside midfielder Nick Shipley led the stats sheet for the Allies with 21 possessions, seven clearances, six tackles and three marks, displaying his strong work ethic and smooth kicking action.

Half-back Jarrod Brander controlled the air and read the ball well, collecting 20 possessions, a match-high nine rebound 50s and four marks.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2017/06/11/davies-uniacke-dominates-in-vic-country-opening-win/

BEST
ALLIES: Shipley
, Brander, Thomas, Dixon, Spargo, Hardman
VIC COUNTRY:
Davies-Uniacke, Dow, Walsh, McHenry, Clark, Paton

Likely top five selection Jarrod Brander shone at centre half back relishing in the new role compiling 20 disposals, rebounding it well out of defensive 50 on nine occasions.

GWS Academy midfielder Nicholas Shipley was the Allies highest disposal winner with 21 disposals, impacting the game through the midfield.

Small midfielder Charlie Spargo finished the day with 18 disposals and six tackles.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Meanwhile, Tasmania secured a comfortable 14.8 (98) to 4.4 (28) win over NSW/ACT in the Under-17 Future Series curtain raiser.

Miller Hodge took out best-on-ground honours for Tasmania and Harrison Gunther bagged five goals, while Matt Walker led the way for NSW/ACT with three majors.

U17 Futures. FT. Tas 14.8 (92) d @aflnswact 4.4 (28). Goals: Walker 3, Corbett. Best: Walker, Soffe, Coxall, Driscoll, Cerni, Koschitzke.

Full game writeup from the Allies' match, including player stats at https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/event/allies-vs-vic-country/
Sorry, can't keep the formatting so the stats tables are hard to read, but on the pure stats a pretty reasonable performance from Shipley (11 CP from 21D, 6T, 7 CLR), Powell (10 CP from 16D, 4T, 4 CLR, 1 G), Spargo (8 CP from 18D, 6T, 1CLR) & even Myers (8 CP from 16D). Shipley was game high for clearances, even though Allies were well beaten in that stat overall by Country, and equal second for Allies in tackles, so that seems a strong showing. Certainly I think that Shipley & Powell are keeping their names in the GWS drafters' minds.

Allies
# Player Position K HB D M CP UP T HO CLR I50 R50 GL
26 Nicholas Shipley - 7 14 21 3 11 11 6 0 7 1 0 0
35 Hugh Dixon - 5 8 13 3 11 3 4 0 0 1 1 3
6 Jack Powell - 7 9 16 1 10 5 4 0 4 0 0 1
1 Charlie Spargo - 11 7 18 4 8 11 6 0 1 2 0 0
2 Jack Hardman - 6 9 15 2 8 8 2 0 3 7 0 1
11 Brendan Myers - 12 4 16 4 8 8 0 0 1 0 5 0
22 Tarryn Thomas - 7 11 18 6 8 11 6 0 0 6 1 0
39 Brayden Crossley - 7 8 15 1 8 7 1 19 5 2 2 0
14 Jack Clayton - 6 7 13 3 7 6 4 0 0 0 1 0
33 Jarrod Brander - 12 8 20 4 7 11 1 0 0 0 9 0
40 Nathan Richards - 6 6 12 4 7 5 2 11 2 1 0 0
31 Tom Highmore - 7 6 13 5 6 7 3 0 0 0 2 0
5 Zac Bailey - 8 4 12 3 5 7 6 0 2 2 1 0
3 Brodie Foster - 11 4 15 3 4 12 2 0 1 1 2 0
10 James Bell - 4 5 9 1 3 6 1 0 1 4 2 0
18 Jake Hinds - 14 4 18 9 3 16 1 0 0 1 2 0
24 Kwaby Boakye - 6 6 12 3 3 9 2 0 0 1 1 0
34 Nicholas Blakey - 12 3 15 4 3 12 4 0 1 4 0 1
25 Harry Simington - 5 4 9 6 2 7 1 0 0 0 0 2
36 Jack Payne - 7 3 10 5 2 8 0 0 0 1 1 0
7 Sam Davidson - 3 4 7 2 1 5 7 0 0 0 2 0
38 Connor Ballenden - 6 2 8 3 1 7 2 4 0 3 0 0
23 Luke Robertson - 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
Total 169 136 305 79 126 182 65 34 28 37 33 8
Vic Country
10 Brent Daniels - 6 12 18 3 13 5 2 0 4 4 0 1
15 Paddy Dow - 9 12 21 4 12 11 2 0 6 3 1 1
38 Lloyd Meek - 5 8 13 2 11 3 4 16 6 1 0 1
2 Samuel Walsh - 10 12 22 3 10 12 4 0 1 1 3 0
9 Luke Davies-Uniacke - 17 17 34 10 9 26 3 0 4 5 2 0
6 Aidan Quigley - 9 11 20 4 8 14 4 0 1 1 0 0
28 James Worpel - 4 10 14 0 8 7 11 0 3 1 1 0
20 Tom De Koning - 5 9 14 4 7 7 0 9 3 3 0 1
21 Hunter Clark - 11 10 21 2 7 13 5 0 0 2 0 0
33 Changkuoth Jiath - 6 8 14 3 6 7 3 0 0 1 1 0
12 Edward McHenry - 8 15 23 5 5 17 8 0 1 1 4 1
16 David Handley - 12 7 19 6 5 13 3 0 1 5 2 1
19 Matthew Ling - 6 9 15 5 5 12 2 0 2 1 0 1
25 Oscar Clavarino - 9 5 14 7 5 8 0 0 0 1 3 0
37 Joshua Jaska - 4 7 11 2 5 6 6 0 1 0 0 0
1 Kane Farrell - 18 3 21 8 3 17 0 0 1 2 6 0
5 Ben Paton - 14 8 22 7 3 17 2 0 0 1 4 0
36 Cody Henness - 7 5 12 4 3 9 5 00 0 1 0 0
3 Jye Caldwell - 8 9 17 1 2 15 1 0 1 1 1 0
4 Gryan Miers - 10 9 19 6 2 17 5 0 0 4 0 0
13 Ethan Floyd - 5 4 9 3 2 7 0 0 0 1 0 0
22 Jordon Butts - 11 5 16 8 2 14 2 0 0 4 0 1
17 Zane Barzen - 12 0 12 7 1 11 2 0 0 3 0 0
Total 206 195 401 104 134 268 74 25 35 47 28 8

Full game writeup from the Allies' match, including player stats at https://www.afl*******************/event/allies-vs-vic-country/
Sorry, can't keep the formatting so the stats tables are hard to read, but on the pure stats a pretty reasonable performance from Shipley (11 CP from 21D, 6T, 7 CLR), Powell (10 CP from 16D, 4T, 4 CLR, 1 G), Spargo (8 CP from 18D, 6T, 1CLR) & even Myers (8 CP from 16D). Shipley was game high for clearances, even though Allies were well beaten in that stat overall by Country, and equal second for Allies in tackles, so that seems a strong showing. Certainly I think that Shipley & Powell are keeping their names in the GWS drafters' minds.

Allies
26 Nicholas Shipley - 7 14 21 3 11 11 6 0 7 1 0 0
35 Hugh Dixon - 5 8 13 3 11 3 4 0 0 1 1 3
6 Jack Powell - 7 9 16 1 10 5 4 0 4 0 0 1
1 Charlie Spargo - 11 7 18 4 8 11 6 0 1 2 0 0
2 Jack Hardman - 6 9 15 2 8 8 2 0 3 7 0 1
11 Brendan Myers - 12 4 16 4 8 8 0 0 1 0 5 0
22 Tarryn Thomas - 7 11 18 6 8 11 6 0 0 6 1 0
39 Brayden Crossley - 7 8 15 1 8 7 1 19 5 2 2 0
14 Jack Clayton - 6 7 13 3 7 6 4 0 0 0 1 0
33 Jarrod Brander - 12 8 20 4 7 11 1 0 0 0 9 0
40 Nathan Richards - 6 6 12 4 7 5 2 11 2 1 0 0
31 Tom Highmore - 7 6 13 5 6 7 3 0 0 0 2 0
5 Zac Bailey - 8 4 12 3 5 7 6 0 2 2 1 0
3 Brodie Foster - 11 4 15 3 4 12 2 0 1 1 2 0
10 James Bell - 4 5 9 1 3 6 1 0 1 4 2 0
18 Jake Hinds - 14 4 18 9 3 16 1 0 0 1 2 0
24 Kwaby Boakye - 6 6 12 3 3 9 2 0 0 1 1 0
34 Nicholas Blakey - 12 3 15 4 3 12 4 0 1 4 0 1
25 Harry Simington - 5 4 9 6 2 7 1 0 0 0 0 2
36 Jack Payne - 7 3 10 5 2 8 0 0 0 1 1 0
7 Sam Davidson - 3 4 7 2 1 5 7 0 0 0 2 0
38 Connor Ballenden - 6 2 8 3 1 7 2 4 0 3 0 0
23 Luke Robertson - 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
Total 169 136 305 79 126 182 65 34 28 37 33 8
Vic Country
10 Brent Daniels - 6 12 18 3 13 5 2 0 4 4 0 1
15 Paddy Dow - 9 12 21 4 12 11 2 0 6 3 1 1
38 Lloyd Meek - 5 8 13 2 11 3 4 16 6 1 0 1
2 Samuel Walsh - 10 12 22 3 10 12 4 0 1 1 3 0
9 Luke Davies-Uniacke - 17 17 34 10 9 26 3 0 4 5 2 0
6 Aidan Quigley - 9 11 20 4 8 14 4 0 1 1 0 0
28 James Worpel - 4 10 14 0 8 7 11 0 3 1 1 0
20 Tom De Koning - 5 9 14 4 7 7 0 9 3 3 0 1
21 Hunter Clark - 11 10 21 2 7 13 5 0 0 2 0 0
33 Changkuoth Jiath - 6 8 14 3 6 7 3 0 0 1 1 0
12 Edward McHenry - 8 15 23 5 5 17 8 0 1 1 4 1
16 David Handley - 12 7 19 6 5 13 3 0 1 5 2 1
19 Matthew Ling - 6 9 15 5 5 12 2 0 2 1 0 1
25 Oscar Clavarino - 9 5 14 7 5 8 0 0 0 1 3 0
37 Joshua Jaska - 4 7 11 2 5 6 6 0 1 0 0 0
1 Kane Farrell - 18 3 21 8 3 17 0 0 1 2 6 0
5 Ben Paton - 14 8 22 7 3 17 2 0 0 1 4 0
36 Cody Henness - 7 5 12 4 3 9 5 00 0 1 0 0
3 Jye Caldwell - 8 9 17 1 2 15 1 0 1 1 1 0
4 Gryan Miers - 10 9 19 6 2 17 5 0 0 4 0 0
13 Ethan Floyd - 5 4 9 3 2 7 0 0 0 1 0 0
22 Jordon Butts - 11 5 16 8 2 14 2 0 0 4 0 1
17 Zane Barzen - 12 0 12 7 1 11 2 0 0 3 0 0
Total 206 195 401 104 134 268 74 25 35 47 28 8
Hopeful of gaining both those guys with picks outside the first round, neither are rated there now but that is a fluid thing..
Assuming we gain 1st rounders via trades I'd love for us to draft Brander because he states in the leadup to the draft he wants to play with us :p

Hopeful of gaining both those guys with picks outside the first round, neither are rated there now but that is a fluid thing..
Assuming we gain 1st rounders via trades I'd love for us to draft Brander because he states in the leadup to the draft he wants to play with us :p
Yes, Chris25 put Shipley into his list at #10, but I think that's an overreach on his form at that point. No-one else has really rated him, I think #30 was the next best. There should be some upside, though, given his late conversion to AFL. I think that Powell in the 20s & Shipley in the 30s (or 40s) would probably be reasonable. I'd expect Brander to drop down the rankings because of playing back, but he's been over-hyped some could stay top 10. I guess we'll see what happens - it probably needs GWS to lose Kelly to get a high enough pick to take Brander, and even then I'm unsure that would be the best move (short term) for GWS, but could be a long term benefit. Spargo might be easier to pick up with a late teens or second round pick for a different trade, and his mum seemed genuinely unhappy at being pulled from the academy program, but I note Knightmare doesn't rate him at all while most others rate him highly. At the moment, though, I'd prefer Powell & Shipley on exposed form & cheaper price.

From the ESPN website
Interesting i didn't realise that Shipley was that size, is he a Canberra boy or from the country?

Allies

Nicholas Shipley, 190cm, 90kg, looks like the next big thing for GWS through their academy. He gathered 21 disposals, 11 contested possessions, six tackles and seven clearances. With further strong play, Shipley looks like a first round choice at season's end.

Playing as a key defender, Jarrod Brander was outstanding with 20 disposals, four marks and nine rebound 50s.

Tasmanian key forward, Hugh Dixon, 195cm, 92kg, showed some positive signs with 13 disposals, 11 contested possessions, four tackles and three goals.

The other notable GWS Academy midfielder, Jack Powell, 180cm, 75kg, also performed strongly through the midfield with 16 disposals, 10 contested possessions, four tackles, four clearances and one goal.

Tasmanian bottom ager, Tarryn Thomas, 189cm, 71kg, who is part of the North Melbourne Next Generation Academy, performed as strongly as expected with 18 disposals, eight contested possessions, six marks, six tackles and six inside 50s. Thomas, who was Tasmania's Under-18 MVP last year, is being touted as one of 2018's first players selected with his line breaking speed, a gift he uses frequently off half-back to break games open.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shipley is from Campbelltown.
Though that was the case, good to hear and I can see a few articles nearer to draft time about him both from the Giants and also the AFL and I can see the floggo journalists pushing the angle of a great win over the NRL as well as the usual academy spin

Though that was the case, good to hear and I can see a few articles nearer to draft time about him both from the Giants and also the AFL and I can see the floggo journalists pushing the angle of a great win over the NRL as well as the usual academy spin
Theyll start going on that he is a top 10 pick and that Campbelltown has always been a footy heartland getting great players.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Actually, I think his background is soccer. Relative latecomer to Aussie Rules.

Can someone tell me if Shipley or Powell get bid on in second round can Giants match both or is it just first round they have restrictions pending their final ladder finish?

Can someone tell me if Shipley or Powell get bid on in second round can Giants match both or is it just first round they have restrictions pending their final ladder finish?
Regarding the ladder finish, top 4 restricts us to one academy match in the top 20. So providing only one of them is bid below 20, we can take the second no problems. At the moment, both are probably somewhere after 20, so no issues.

Regarding the ladder finish, top 4 restricts us to one academy match in the top 20. So providing only one of them is bid below 20, we can take the second no problems. At the moment, both are probably somewhere after 20, so no issues.

I thought all our academy players were automatically top ten prospects:p

It was Zac Williams that played NRL

I don't get the hype over these kids. To me they are no different to any player in the draft I wouldn't go out of my way to draft an "academy" player. They are no more loyal to us than an equally talented player from vic,sa or wa. Some of "our" academy boy's have left at first chance and Hopper and Kennedy looking odds on to leave this year the question has to be asked what has the academy done for us?

I say nothing the players we have drafted in my opinion have not been outstanding an certainly have not been more inclined to stay with us which was one of the reasons for the academy.

Time to just use the picks we have on best talent and not some misplaced loyalty to players who have shown no connection to us.

I don't get the hype over these kids. To me they are no different to any player in the draft I wouldn't go out of my way to draft an "academy" player. They are no more loyal to us than an equally talented player from vic,sa or wa. Some of "our" academy boy's have left at first chance and Hopper and Kennedy looking odds on to leave this year the question has to be asked what has the academy done for us?

I say nothing the players we have drafted in my opinion have not been outstanding an certainly have not been more inclined to stay with us which was one of the reasons for the academy.

Time to just use the picks we have on best talent and not some misplaced loyalty to players who have shown no connection to us.

There's a number of reasons:
  • We get a 20% discount on these guys. Hopper was pick 7, but we used pick 11 to take him. Kennedy was a bigger bargain - he was pick 13 but we used picks 34 and 40 to take him.
  • You need to distinguish between players leaving for lack of opportunity versus those leaving for "homesickness" or more cash. Non-NSWmen like Adams or Treloar or McCarthy, all of whom were playing regularly before they left, are more likely to head off for the latter, whereas academy players who have left or might leave, e.g. Steele, tend to fall into the former category. Any player might leave due to lack of opportunity, but academy players are less likely due to other reasons.
Despite the departure of Steele, we've also seen Williams, Setterfield, Perryman and Flynn all re-sign with a minimum of fuss.

If Hopper more or less talented and more or less likely to leave than Curnow? It's hard to say at this stage, after only two years. I'd definitely take Kennedy over Schoenfeld and White though, and Himmelberg over Williams, Markov, Collins and Gardner, and Setterfield over Galluci and Rotham. Those are the players (roughly) taken with the picks we gave up to draft each of our players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back