List Mgmt. GWS Giants Academy News & Discussion

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Mitch Maguire had a fantastic final for Canberra Demons today; and is having a great season. Presumably his form is one reason why Demons have done well this season. I wonder if GWS are looking at him for a rookie position at all? I think after two years out of the academy there would be no link to us to get any preferential access, so certainly no guarantee to get him as we'll be at least 11th in line in the rookie draft. His height may be an issue - at 177 cms, and we've got a couple of others around there - but would be a good story if we did.

Maguire has been a reason for Canberras run to the finals and it is a great story for them to make the finals and I will be cheering them on
Don't think he would be picked up by the club as I don't see where he would fit for the club, which IMO is stacked with mids and being undersized and not sure on his pace either but I think what the club needs from this draft would be a outside mid/utility, a tall defender and a ruck and then depending on trades, retirements and delistings

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Last round before finals for the TAC cup and for Murray, Walker might have got BOG for 3 goals 21 disposals 9 tackles 6 inside 50s and 2 rebound 50s although apparently his opponent went off injured in the first half
Also N Murray seemed to play well with 16 disposals 3 tackles and 2 inside 50s

Murray are into the finals so they will at least have one more chance to impress the recruiters

I can see the club picking one KPD in the draft and if kotchiske is gone it could be between Murray and Riley Budd who played 13 games for the reserves so the recruiters would have had a good look at htheir s game style

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
ESPN writeup on Matthew Walker from his weekends game

Arguably the No. 1 draft riser from the weekend's action, Mathew Walker played an all-round game for Murray. The GWS Academy prospect was his side's most dangerous marking target forward of centre while his low, piercing kicks and ability at ground level were features. Seeming to have found his best role as a forward with stints through the midfield, Walker posted 21 disposals, 12 contested possessions, six marks (one contested), nine tackles, seven clearances, six inside 50s and three goals. Walker, who possesses the versatility to play forward, midfield or back, came onto the radar of clubs with his six goal haul against Western just over a month ago and is playing a standard of football that may see him attract a bid

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Academy players draft combines
National
Briggs 6/10/99 200cms 98kgs 8 games in the NEAFL and a near certainty that the club matches and hopefully late second round but again it could be around 30, overage so Flynn is 2 years older
Koschitzke 11/7/00 196 94 Not tied to the academy but I think the club may draft him if Keefe/Mohr are delisted He had a good national champs and depending on what happens with the list he could be picked up in the mid to late second round if the club wants a deleting KPD on the list to go with Taylor

State
Riley Bice 26/9/00 184 68 Only the one NEAFL game, from Albury so he could end up playing for Canberra in the NEAFL
Jeremy Lucas 29/6/00 184 81 I think he is a defender/winger and only played the 1 NEAFL game so unlikely IMO
Nicholas Murray 18/12/00 193 89 Tall defender only the 1 NEAFL game and then the season with Murray in the TAC cup, with a December birthday I think unlikely to be picked up with Sproule/Stein/Buckley as developing talls
James Peatling 21/8/00 183 71 Small forward (Seems very light but it I am using a document from the start of the year) 11 NEAFL games so the coaches will have had a good look at him and I think he is the most likely to be picked up in the rookie draft
Guy Richardson 12/7/00 184 75 Defender 8 NEAFL games Possible if the club sees a need but one I could see playing as an overager and trying again next year
Matthew Walker 14/2/00 187 76 Medium forward 2 NEAFL games and also played TAC cup for Murray and had a couple of good games later on in the season and I would think the club may need to match in the 40/50s but again a near certainty to be drafted. Too good to go through to the rookie draft

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
List of the overages for the 2019 season, and with Pollock, Budd and Richardson playing out of Canberra it is very impressive the number of players coming out of the academy and although they are not making it onto lists it is strengthening the game in the NEAFL comp and also showing the younger players that the pathway is there to carry on playing if they are not picked up. And I will be checking the Ovens and Murray league for Tiziani and when he is back playing for Albury
It would be interesting to see how these guys go this year as I am sure it is more than in past years and hopefully they can come in and provide stability for the NEAFL side through having regular training sessions, also if they go through some of pre season with the senior team and on game day

Jeremy Lucas 29/06/200 184 82 Northern Jets
James Peatling 21/08/200 183 75 Pennant Hills
Jai Reed 17/01/2000 186 87 Narooma
Nicholas Murray 18/12/200 193 90 Wangaratta
Shaun Driscoll 06/01/2000 186 71 Wagga
George Kendall 13/11/2000 193 90 Mangoplah
Max Beaumont 13/05/2000 186 80 Marist College
Ed Perryman 24/7/2000 179 65 Collingullie
Daniel Cerni 25/01/2000 192 95 Eastlake

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
http://aflcanberra.com.au/2019/01/17/u15s-giants-academy-trial/

The Giants Academy will be hosting an open trial for the 2019 ACT U15’s GIANTS Development Program on February 6th.
This is for male players born in 2004. Attendees are advised to bring their football boots, water bottle, mouth guard and wear club/active gear.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
This is a good first step towards a national "seconds" comp
Gut is telling me we will lose the academies.

We need a national under 18s comp taking over from the state based to make sure the kids in the northern states aren't forgotten and are all given the same development as the heartland states.

Gut is telling me we will lose the academies.

We need a national under 18s comp taking over from the state based to make sure the kids in the northern states aren't forgotten and are all given the same development as the heartland states.

I enjoyed the old zone system in the VFL, I wouldn't mind a return to it, but a national seconds comp would mean we had at least another 60 odd players soaking up Sydney, we would gain come draft for sure

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
GWS GIANTS ACADEMY v. BRISBANE LIONS ACADEMY

30/03/2019, 11:55am

Blacktown International Sports Park

GWS GIANTS ACADEMY

B: 5. K. Flack, 24. N. Murray, 23. A. Whyte

HB: 43. S. Frost, 27. J. Green, 20. J. Reed

C: 1. H. Grant, 25. T. Green, 10. J. Peatling

HF: 22. L. Conlan, 26. L. Delahunty, 19. R. Mooney

F: 4. C. Edwards, 35. J. Cullen, 2. M. Hamblin

R: 34. O. Hicks, 17. J. Lucas, 28. M. McGrory

Int: 3. J. Moen, 6. T. Organ, 12. L. Squire, 16. C. Steele, 37. D. Beavan

BRISBANE LIONS ACADEMY

B: 44. C. Bulley, 36. J. Ward, 8. T. Townson

HB: 19. T. Griffiths, 40. N. Haberer, 28. E. Hunt

C: 12. S. Crozier, 11. W. Martyn, 18. B. Reville

HF: 13. B. Coleman, 21. N. Cumberland, 23. T. Jeffrey

F: 45. G. Sproule, 43. J. Briskey, 38. T. Wischnat

R: 60. S. Ryan, 15. T. Abberley, 20. J. Quint

Int: 26. J. Apted, 25. C. Aston, 17. J. Hammond, 14. C. Michael, 16. W. O’Dwyer

Emg: 9. W. Tasker

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Brisbane Lions Academy 14.12.96 defeated
GWS Academy 10.10.70

Goals: Delahunty 3 Lucas 1 Peatling 1 C. Edwards 2 Matt Hamblin 1 L Conlan 1 J Moen 1

Tom Green 30d 17k 13hb 2m 4t 8I50 4R50
Jeromy Lucas 24d 11k 13hb 5m 2t 5I50 2R50 1 goal
Nick Murray 19d 15k 4hb 10m 3t 2I50 4 R50
Matt McGrory 18d 10k 8hb 2m 5t 4I50 -R50

Last edited:

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
ESPN draft rankings up, Green@#1. Early in the season and things will change but interesting to see how he progresses

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...ants-academy-prospect-holds-chargers-oakleigh

Best position: Inside midfield
Height, weight: 188cm, 85kg
Recruited from: GWS Giants
Projected draft range: 1-20
Plays like: Patrick Cripps
Rationale: The most prolific stoppage player and contested ball winner in the pool. Averages 21 disposals as well as a competition-high 15 contested possessions and six clearances in his four matches representing the Allies in the 2018 Under-18 Championships. He's also averaging 24 disposals and eight clearances per game from his three NEAFL matches, placing him ahead of all other midfielders in the pool.
Strengths: Stoppage work, winning clearances, contested ball winning, distribution by hand, capabilities forward of centre, marking inside 50m, scoreboard impact, production on the board in the NEAFL
Weaknesses: Pace, outside hurt factor

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Jeromy Lucas is one that may not be bidded on with your midfield depth and the addition of Green but I wouldn’t be suprised if another club takes him this year. An improved player and injury free from last year, he will also be playing for Oakleigh Chargers so expect to see him in the NAB League finals.

As a midfielder he is very balanced and strong overhead for his size so could play a range of positions, Matt Guelfi from my club would be some sort of comparison except I prefer Lucas’s decision making.

Muffasa

Debutant
Jun 8, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
ESPN draft rankings up, Green@#1. Early in the season and things will change but interesting to see how he progresses

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...ants-academy-prospect-holds-chargers-oakleigh

Best position: Inside midfield
Height, weight: 188cm, 85kg
Recruited from: GWS Giants
Projected draft range: 1-20
Plays like: Patrick Cripps
Rationale: The most prolific stoppage player and contested ball winner in the pool. Averages 21 disposals as well as a competition-high 15 contested possessions and six clearances in his four matches representing the Allies in the 2018 Under-18 Championships. He's also averaging 24 disposals and eight clearances per game from his three NEAFL matches, placing him ahead of all other midfielders in the pool.
Strengths: Stoppage work, winning clearances, contested ball winning, distribution by hand, capabilities forward of centre, marking inside 50m, scoreboard impact, production on the board in the NEAFL
Weaknesses: Pace, outside hurt factor

He is a monster in the middle. Best stoppage player I’ve seen at underage level. Uber competitiveness. Seems to have grown taller (190cm now) and trimmed off since last yr. Not the quickest by any means but improving on endurance. Reminds me of a Cripps/J Kennedy /C Oliver

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
MATCH 2 : U18 NAB LEAGUE - U18 GWS GIANTS V SYDNEY SWANS

Saturday 6th April @ 11.00am, UNSW Canberra Oval

Adam WHYTE
Lachie SQUIRE
Cameron EDWARDS
Liam DELAHUNTY
Coopa STEELE
Lucas CONLAN
Drew BEAVAN