Women's Footy GWS Giants - AFL Women's

Remove this Banner Ad

The fixture for the historical inaugural AFL Women’s competition has been released with the GIANTS to play home games in Sydney and Canberra and all games to be broadcast live. The GIANTS will play two home games in Sydney - at Blacktown International Sportspark (BISP) - and one at Manuka Oval in Canberra as part of the seven-week round-robin fixture. The GIANTS will open their season on Saturday, February 4 with an away match against the Adelaide Crows before travelling to Melbourne to play Carlton the following weekend. The first chance for local fans to see their team in action will be on Saturday, February 18 when the GIANTS take on Fremantle at Blacktown at 12.05pm. They will then play away again Brisbane before coming home for the GIANTS’ only double-header of the season.
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2016-12-09/historic-aflw-fixture-released

Last edited:

Two Blacktown games, Spotless would have been ideal but ok.
Guessing the paltry price for membership will now cover entry?

So the game against Melbourne at BISP is the curtain raiser for the men's pre-season game against the swans.

Could have been the other way around. The pre-season game could have been a curtain raiser for an actual competition match.

It's also good to see the poor victorian team's protected from having to travel anywhere.:rolleyes:
Melbourne: NSW NT
Carlton: SA WA
Collingwood: QLD WA
Footscray: QLD ACT

Freo: VIC NSW VIC

Adelaide: VIC WA NT* VIC
Brisbane: VIC WA SA VIC

Giants: SA VIC QLD VIC ACT*

so much for trying to build a brand or a profile in the northern states. Nah f#*% 'em, make 'em travel.

*Home games requiring interstate travel.

Last edited:
Also interesting the Free to Air television schedule

Collingwood v Carlton
Dogs v Freo
Collingwood v Melbourne
Dogs v Melbourne
Dogs v Collingwood
Adelaide v Brisbane
Adelaide v Melbourne
Giants v Dogs

Dogs: 4
Collingwood / Melbourne: 3
Adelaide 2
Carlton / Freo / Brisbane / Giants 1

Victorians: 11
Non Vics: 5

Northern states where you want to build a profile: 2

We have to travel more and get less coverage doing it. What an Effing joke.

I heard all the games are free entry.
Not too stressed just curious. Biggest issue for me will be travel to blacktown. I am really spoilt with a 5-10 min busride to Spotless.Nothing to whinge about.

Well members get free entry into the NAB Cup JLT Whatever, and the game against the Ds is the curtain raiser. Can't see how they can charge you for arriving early.

I went looking for where I read it, but can't find it, so maybe I got that wrong about games being free.

Having said that, some of the grounds hosting games don't look like fully enclosed grounds.

I heard all the games are free entry.

I went looking for where I read it, but can't find it, so maybe I got that wrong about games being free.

Having said that, some of the grounds hosting games don't look like fully enclosed grounds.

I'd read that too, but haven't heard anything re: the Giants so far.

So the game against Melbourne at BISP is the curtain raiser for the men's pre-season game against the swans.

Could have been the other way around. The pre-season game could have been a curtain raiser for an actual competition match.

It's also good to see the poor victorian team's protected from having to travel anywhere.:rolleyes:
Melbourne: NSW NT
Carlton: SA WA
Collingwood: QLD WA
Footscray: QLD ACT

Freo: VIC NSW VIC

Adelaide: VIC WA NT* VIC
Brisbane: VIC WA SA VIC

Giants: SA VIC QLD VIC ACT*

so much for trying to build a brand or a profile in the northern states. Nah f#*% 'em, make 'em travel.

*Home games requiring interstate travel.
To be fair, all non Vic away games are interstate, whil each Vic team will play 1 or 2 away games in Melbourne.

A balanced travel fixture was not possible.

Broadcasting on the other hand.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

To be fair, all non Vic away games are interstate, whil each Vic team will play 1 or 2 away games in Melbourne.

What sucks is the Giants local games will be broadcast in NSW and I can go anyway, and I'm sure the other sides games wont be. They're the ones I would like to watch on TV. If they stream on the website I'm ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They could have easily made it more balanced

Collingwood, for example, already get four home games to our three.

Swap that around and Collingwood are maybe traveling one week more and we're traveling one week less - and it's slightly more even (even with three home games Carlton still only travel twice)

You give the four home games to the non-Vics and the three home games to the Vics - they would still be travelling less but at least it would be closer to the mark.

It's not like they're missing out on gate receipts with less home games. But it should be automatically four home games for the non-Vics and three for the Vics, who get to play away down the road where their fans can travel easily.

I got briefly exited with the game at Olympic Park oval, till I realised it was the Pies home ground.

Well done Erin!
GWS Giants player Erin McKinnon earned the honour of being a member of their inaugural squad the day before she sat her first HSC exam. She didn’t let that distraction derail her studies though, as the ruck player received an ATAR of 94.15 on Friday. McKinnon, who will study exercise science at Sydney University on a sports scholarship, said she found her busy football schedule this year helped her studies rather than hindered them.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r/news-story/e3e9f644f9a57f434e501cbbab7dbf62

Incredibly, the start of the inaugural women's league is less than a month away, looking forward to the first match.

On a related subject, and this is of interest to us because our club as a team in this new comp, but the new Netball league starts next month as well, but geez, you wouldn't know it, so little info made available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back