Women's Footy GWS Giants - AFL Women's

Remove this Banner Ad

One wonders if the skill level of past VFL/SANFL/WAFL was similar when they were also part-time leagues.
I'm not sure it was similar.
A significant number of these ladies have never played the game before, the players you are referring to largely grew up playing it and graduated into those leagues.
To learn the skills required to play the game at a high enough level to maintain a strong public interest and audience in 6 - 8 weeks at 9 hours a week? laughable.

Next year should be significantly better as they will have had 12 months of skills training, just need people to stick with it until that happens.

I'm hopeful that the level of support stays as it has been for the whole series, IF it does than the AFL will be able to significantly up the player salary allowing the players to be able to devote more time to it.

Rapt with the effort the girls put in but we really missed our marquees polish and experience and they were among the ones who had been playing it for a lot longer.

You could see on Friday night that Sam Lane's overt excitement wasn't match during her interviews with Gill and Fitzpatrick. They were certainly happy and surprised by the initial support, but look to be keeping things in check. They know that there is a high probabilty of this initial surge of crowd and viewer support dropping off. This is a long game that needs to played with patience and persistence, just like the whole Giants thing. Early signs will have them popping the champagne behind closed doors. For us supporters, most of us will be happy with willing contests and following the storys of growth and development. Some won't bother until the game play is on another level, and that is their loss.

One wonders if the skill level of past VFL/SANFL/WAFL was similar when they were also part-time leagues.
I agree you can't draw direct comparisons. Not from you but I've seen comparisons with Nineteenth century mens footy on the main board. Particularly the low scoring. That game was very different from the modern game the women are playing, and all descriprions of play include rolling packs wrestling the ball around the field.
Given the part time nature of the AFLW, at least at startup, with so far just a short off season for the clubs ro develop their teams surely it's not surprising. Add to that that talented sportswomen coming to the game now there's an elite level comp and having to learn AFL.
Hope the game develops, people pay for memberships (I will), TV rights increase, and they can become full time professionals appropriately renumerated.
It had to start somewhere, and is overdue.

I wish we had an injury list for the women's team. I was surprised to see our emergencies as top-ups and it wasn't until game day that I realized Mai Nguyen wasn't included in the team. Wouldn't mind knowing who is not available from week to week, rather than just guessing.

I wish we had an injury list for the women's team. I was surprised to see our emergencies as top-ups and it wasn't until game day that I realized Mai Nguyen wasn't included in the team. Wouldn't mind knowing who is not available from week to week, rather than just guessing.
Agree, the club has been lax in these areas, I have also emailed them to ask why they ladies don't have the same list structure and management as the men do on the GWS site

They are going well

Im impressed so far. s**t crowd though. Looks super hot and everyone avoiding the non shade areas

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Regarding crowd. Will be interesting regarding our own home game. Especially as we have the most members of any of the womans clubs.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regarding crowd. Will be interesting regarding our own home game. Especially as we have the most members of any of the womans clubs.

But will the all go ?

I doubt all 15k AFL members go. Was always surprised how we coukd have 13k members and 5k at the games

Nah i mean the womans club members.

Oh. Would love to see a big crowd at bkacktown but i just cant see it

They are playing fremantle who wont have a lot of support here. So its totally up to our supporters

Could be pretty bad

Very much hope im wrong

Oh. Would love to see a big crowd at bkacktown but i just cant see it

They are playing fremantle who wont have a lot of support here. So its totally up to our supporters

Could be pretty bad

Very much hope im wrong

Anything over 2k is good start.

On the game. We couldnt get out of the defensive 50 that quarter.

Girls cracking in again. Some better skills. Really good first quarter. Hung on tenaciously in the second.

Liking mcKinnon's work in the ruck - particularly setting up the first quarter.

Collier, Dal Pos & Barr solid again, for mine. Plus Schmidt, Beeson & Ross stepping up from last week. Good teamwork again for the most, but really struggled to get out of the D50 that quarter - need to improve on hitting precise targets and also to spread and provide options in open space.

Geez - just saw the Nicola Barr interview on tv - is her face sooooooo red: it must be so hot out there! :eek:

So official crowd 7000 when carlton pretty much filled the stadium last week.

I think you are right GG anything over 2000 next week would be a win

Which should still be classed as a win.

For womens sport and a sport not big in Sydney it would be great

Collier, Dal Pos & Barr solid again, for mine. Plus Schmidt, Beeson & Ross stepping up from last week. Good teamwork again for the most, but really struggled to get out of the D50 that quarter - need to improve on hitting precise targets and also to spread and provide options in open space.

Geez - just saw the Nicola Barr interview on tv - is her face sooooooo red: it must be so hot out there! :eek:
Said the same thing to Mrs General. Cant say the effort isnt there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back