Women's Footy GWS Giants - AFL Women's

Remove this Banner Ad

So a Norf player pushes a giants player in the back and GETS the free kick for being held.

I give up

The umpiring is the only thing turning me off womens footy.

I can see improvement over the years in everything but the umpiring. It’s bordering on disgraceful.

And it finishes with ANOTHER sling tackle

Are the rules different in the women’s?

It’s the ******* umpiring.

It is beyond bad and beyond a joke. Seriously needs to be addressed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went down to the game in Canberra on Friday night and the girls did incredibly well. Movement of the ball from the full back line to half forward was an absolute three year best. Fell down a bit there but still did well enough to win obviously.

End of the season came at the worst possible time.

Yes indeed. Alyce Parker was an absolute bull in the midfield - another couple of years of experience and she'll be fantastic. A big deficiency that I saw was an inability to hold marks - all over the ground to be honest, but most obviously forward of centre, which is where a lot of our attack foundered. We looked best when we actually kicked over our forwards and allowed them to run onto it rather than try to kick to them (apart from a couple of nice takes by Bernardi & later Staunton, the latter did see Staunton kick a nice goal.

Yes indeed. Alyce Parker was an absolute bull in the midfield - another couple of years of experience and she'll be fantastic. A big deficiency that I saw was an inability to hold marks - all over the ground to be honest, but most obviously forward of centre, which is where a lot of our attack foundered. We looked best when we actually kicked over our forwards and allowed them to run onto it rather than try to kick to them (apart from a couple of nice takes by Bernardi & later Staunton, the latter did see Staunton kick a nice goal.

Agree with all above. Geelong held their marks so much better all over the ground.

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-03-21/parker-and-beeson-in-aflw-all-australian-squad

Alyce Parker’s sensational debut season has been recognised with the 18-year-old named alongside GIANTS teammate Rebecca Beeson in the 2019 Virgin Australia AFL Women’s All Australian 40-player squad. One of four first-year players in the squad, Parker was nominated for the NAB AFLW Rising Star after a stunning round one debut and went on to play in all seven of the GIANTS’ games in 2019. The Holbrook product averaged 16.3 disposals, 4.1 tackles and 1.9 inside 50s across the season, including a season-high 20 disposals against Melbourne in round five.

Meanwhile, Beeson had a career-best season in 2019 moving into a permanent role as a midfielder after spending her first two seasons at the GIANTS playing primarily as a forward. The 22-year-old ranked 12th in the competition for clearances and 7th for handballs and recorded a career-high 22 disposals in a best on ground performance during the GIANTS’ round four win over Collingwood. Beeson averaged 16.3 disposals at 72 per cent disposal efficiency, 3.1 tackles, and two marks per game.

The final 2019 Virgin Australia AFLW All Australian team will be announced at the W Awards on Tuesday, April 2 in Melbourne.

Congrats on the recognition for your 2019 season ladies, especially Alyce in your first year. Good luck for the team selection itself.

Rebecca Beeson has had a solid three seasons now, just about our very best across our first three seasons (Dal Pos would be up there as well). Both looked like they belonged straight away, pretty clean with the footy, could dispose under pressure, etc. I know Dal Pos moved to Sydney from somewhere else, not sure what the story with Beeson is.

Trade period has started and ends on the 18th April, and apparently Bernadi is heading to the tigers.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wo...n/news-story/f8af8e794a2709e477eaac3392eb42dd

Will be disappointed to see Christina go, but we are likely to lose the full 3 more.

On that, what the hell is with this?
This year the four expansion clubs will be allowed to sign no more than four players from any Victorian team, GWS or Adelaide.

In addition they will not be permitted to sign more than eight players from Brisbane or Fremantle. It’s understood this has further frustrated the Lions and Dockers, who already face geographical difficulties in attracting players and are set to see their respective local talent pools diluted by the addition of Gold Coast and West Coast respectively.

If it's about local talent why aren't the Vic clubs also limited to 4.
Selective bias in player theft

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back