Women's Footy GWS Giants - AFL Women's

Remove this Banner Ad

That tells me that everyone signed a 1 season contract last season. Hope we keep everyone we had before!
I get why they would have done that, but it has to be thrown out the window immediately.

I wont watch a team where I can't develop a fan/player relationship with the players on a long term basis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swanson sticking it out is a good sign. Some interstaters will find it hard to make the sums work, so can't blame them if offers come to play at home. Dally might be one of those. Others will be happy to return. I hope Renee Forth stays and gets a crack at next year. She is 30 and a sparky, and hopefully enjoying the Sydney lifestyle.

The team shares a unique bond, as will the other 7 sides. Yet I think we'll see a little bit of change in our list in the next few years. As with the men, we need to continue building our local content. Love the NSW/ACT players we have now. Would be great to get some Auburn Giants come through at some point in the future...now that would be a great story.

I was a foundation member of the women's team. $50 was a token amount to show my support. However, the timing of receiving my membership pack (last week) was a little strange.

I was a foundation member of the women's team. $50 was a token amount to show my support. However, the timing of receiving my membership pack (last week) was a little strange.
Got my Freo one this week.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wom...d/news-story/dd0f5a3dd9ad138a6f6572a5e32b3872

GWS GIANTS

2017 AFLW list: Jacinda Barclay, Nicola Barr, Rebecca Beeson, Jessica Bibby, Codie Briggs, Ellie Brush, Maddy Collier, Jessica Dal Pos, Kristy de Pellegrini, Amanda Farrugia, Renee Forth (M), Ashleigh Guest, Clare Lawton, Erin McKinnon, Phoebe McWilliams, Mai Nguyen, Ella Ross, Isabella Rudolph, Alex Saundry, Aimee Schmidt, Kate Stanton, Louise Stephenson, Emma Swanson (M), Renee Tomkins, Britt Tully, Stephanie Walker, Hannah Wallett, Alex Williams

Strengths: The Giants exceeded expectations, with their competitiveness earning them a win and a draw in the inaugural AFLW season. Their shining lights were their hard-nosed midfielders in Jess Dal Pos and Emma Swanson. Phoebe McWilliams was a stalwart up forward.

Weaknesses: The Giants had the most points scored against them of any team. They must stop the bleeding next season. They also kicked the fewest points of any team, showing they need more fire power up forward as well.

What they need: With marquee Renee Forth (ACL) playing no footy, GWS’ top line midfielders had their work cut out for them. While Forth will be a welcome inclusion, the club realistically needs to add the best footballers they can find, regardless of position.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wom...d/news-story/dd0f5a3dd9ad138a6f6572a5e32b3872

GWS GIANTS

2017 AFLW list: Jacinda Barclay, Nicola Barr, Rebecca Beeson, Jessica Bibby, Codie Briggs, Ellie Brush, Maddy Collier, Jessica Dal Pos, Kristy de Pellegrini, Amanda Farrugia, Renee Forth (M), Ashleigh Guest, Clare Lawton, Erin McKinnon, Phoebe McWilliams, Mai Nguyen, Ella Ross, Isabella Rudolph, Alex Saundry, Aimee Schmidt, Kate Stanton, Louise Stephenson, Emma Swanson (M), Renee Tomkins, Britt Tully, Stephanie Walker, Hannah Wallett, Alex Williams

Strengths: The Giants exceeded expectations, with their competitiveness earning them a win and a draw in the inaugural AFLW season. Their shining lights were their hard-nosed midfielders in Jess Dal Pos and Emma Swanson. Phoebe McWilliams was a stalwart up forward.

Weaknesses: The Giants had the most points scored against them of any team. They must stop the bleeding next season. They also kicked the fewest points of any team, showing they need more fire power up forward as well.

What they need: With marquee Renee Forth (ACL) playing no footy, GWS’ top line midfielders had their work cut out for them. While Forth will be a welcome inclusion, the club realistically needs to add the best footballers they can find, regardless of position.
Renee Forth is a quality person. Hope to see how good a player she is in 2018! We need a bit of height as much as anything. I think we were the smallest team on average. Take big Ez out of the equation and that is saying something.

Renee Forth is a quality person. Hope to see how good a player she is in 2018! We need a bit of height as much as anything. I think we were the smallest team on average. Take big Ez out of the equation and that is saying something.
Will be following the team selection process for the ladies very closely this year, keen to see a big lift in skills, the passion is already there

Full seasons from Swanson and forth will be pivotal to us.

But Barclay and Tomkins are very solid defenders. It was more that the defence was under siege for so long. Too much was left to dal pos and Swanson. Mids and a KPF like Sabrina Frederick-traub would do wonders for us

Correct decision for mine but would suggest that even 2019 is to soon to expand.
THE AFL has resisted the urge to quickly expand the AFLW competition, with the number of teams set to remain at eight in 2018.
While St Kilda and Geelong had both pushed heavily for AFLW licences in the competition’s second season, those clubs will have to wait until 2019.
AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said the AFL Commission had accepted a recommendation from the AFL executive that the competition needed to be consolidated in 2018, rather than expanded.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the...ter&utm_campaign=Feed:+com/lQuXy+(Fox+Sports)

Feel for those clubs motivated to get on board, but definitely the right call. The talent pool needs time to grow, and the commitment of supporters, sponsors etc needs to be validated / consolidated.

This will be a loss maker for a while on pure financial grounds, as a comp. It will interesting to see how the AFL measures its return on investment through additional financial and cultural benefits i.e. Grassroots footy participation, AFL and other league support, and the public perception of the code in general.

The women's trade period will run from May 15-26, while the free agency period will take place between May 29-June 1.
The establishment of the father-daughter rule was among a raft of list regulations detailed to clubs on Wednesday, including:
- Club lists will remain at 27 senior players with three rookie spots available
- Clubs can re-sign a maximum of 22 players from this year, meaning there will be a turnover of at least five senior spots at each club
- Players can be traded with the consent of the AFL, all players and clubs involved in the deal
- Trades can involve multiple players for one player, and can also involve multiple clubs
- Selections for this year's draft can be traded as part of deals, however future selections for the 2019 draft can not be traded.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-10/fatherdaughter-rule-in-place-for-aflw-trading-period

Also interesting to see that the Lions Tayla Harris has requested a trade to melb club
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/8e74de705550242eb038dbefe6c63e49

Remove this Banner Ad

Back